• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Shinbo, Tomino Want to Do New Madoka Magica, Ideon

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nayu

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:38 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
I've just realized this. Would a slice-of-life Madoka series be like in a form of Hidamari Sketch?

We can only hope.... I'd love to see some Madoka yuri-bait like Hidamari Sketch... Of course, Madoka is ALREADY yuri-bait....
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:19 am Reply with quote
I'm all for a remake of Ideon, The story is perfect for this day and age. Imagine what they could do with more modern animation techniques.
Vicserr

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:50 am Reply with quote
It could be very interesting to see a new Ideon project with modern animation techniques and it could be awesome if Tomino can summon up his 'Kill'Em All' persona for one last time and not wuss out like in the Zeta Gundam movies.
Because something that EVA will never have is 3 trucks that merge into a giant robot that can cleave planets in half!!!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
rojse

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:18 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Silly Tomino. There's already a watchable version of Ideon. It's called Evangelion.

Tomino is probably my favorite anime director, but Ideon isn't great and Be Invoked is a glorified snuff film.

At least I know he survived the quake/tsunami now.

I agree with everything here except the comment about "Be Invoked" being a glorified snuff film. Snuff films show deaths that occured in real-life and are depicted in live-action footage.

Aside from that comment, I thought "Be Invoked" was excellent. It concluded the Ideon story rather well, there was some open-ended items that provide some food for thought afterwards, and some of the deaths depicted were genuinely shocking, both in terms of what happened and their presentation. It doesn't quite justify watching the forty-odd episodes of Ideon and the first movie to get there, though, which I thought of as rather tepid at best.

I would like to see what Tomino could do with Ideon, but would hope that he treats the entire series as a stepping stone as a retooling of Space Runaway Ideon, cuts the series length down dramatically, and keeps the deaths and angst up high.

Last edited by rojse on Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:24 am; edited 1 time in total
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:18 am Reply with quote
Screw Fumoffu-style, make it Haruhi-chan style, but darker. Could imagine that every time Mami said something stupid, Homura or whoever spoiler[did the neck-slice motion]? Or when Kyoko gets really nervous, she just eats a ton of food that she pulls out of hammerspace? Homura abuses her spoiler[time powers] to ace tests. Kyubey dies in every episode, but comes back, like Kenny in South Park.

THAT'S what I want.

EDIT: AND MAMI HAS A PET DOG NAMED spoiler[CHARLOTTE THAT'S TWO-FACED AND TRIES TO KILL HER!] You know, like Hand Banana, but with killing instead of rape.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Anton Chigurh

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:44 am Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Screw Fumoffu-style, make it Haruhi-chan style, but darker. Could imagine that every time Mami said something stupid, Homura or whoever spoiler[did the neck-slice motion]? Or when Kyoko gets really nervous, she just eats a ton of food that she pulls out of hammerspace? Homura abuses her spoiler[time powers] to ace tests. Kyubey dies in every episode, but comes back, like Kenny in South Park.

THAT'S what I want.

EDIT: AND MAMI HAS A PET DOG NAMED spoiler[CHARLOTTE THAT'S TWO-FACED AND TRIES TO KILL HER!] You know, like Hand Banana, but with killing instead of rape.

Seconded, soooo hard. If there's one element PMMM hasn't handled at all since its initial episodes it is levity. spoiler[Of course, goofiness doesn't really go hand in hand with girls getting brutally killed, but even episode five had a few light-hearted moments that didn't feel forced.]

Especially in the tone of the Haruhi-chan shorts. IMO that's the real second season Haruhi fans deserved instead of the thing the producers actually presented as such.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:11 am Reply with quote
Cryssoberyl wrote:

Already been done. Check out Majokko Tsukune-chan.

Wow, how the heck did you come across this one?
WatchforMoons7

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:03 am Reply with quote
Shocked Is a new Ideon even a good idea?
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:40 am Reply with quote
Of the items Shinbo mentioned, the only one to catch my attention was the suggestion that we'd see more of the back story for Madoka's mother. Her story had potential but was quickly been dropped in the later episodes. In particular we were left wondering whether spoiler[she was having an affair with her boss, either to get ahead or in search of something that her apparently stay-at-home husband cannot offer, or perhaps both].
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:53 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Of the items Shinbo mentioned, the only one to catch my attention was the suggestion that we'd see more of the back story for Madoka's mother. Her story had potential but was quickly been dropped in the later episodes. In particular we were left wondering whether spoiler[she was having an affair with her boss, either to get ahead or in search of something that her apparently stay-at-home husband cannot offer, or perhaps both].

Left wondering? spoiler[Didn't she complain to Madoka about him being a creep and inviting her back to his place for more alcohol?] I got the impression Madoka's mama prided herself on her integrity and being successful on her own merits (and crushing people who got in her way).

On topic: Madoka Magica slice-of-life with bath scenes? Sounds like Hidamari Sketch to me (Not that that's a bad thing).
Ingraman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
I, for one, welcome our new Madoka Magica Fumoffu overlord!

Noooo!!! The last thing that I want is to see Madoka get trashed Fumoffu!-style. Fumoffu! was humourless stupidity that I sold off the day after I finished watching it (or maybe I just threw it in the trash immediately after, but I don't think so). At least I only spent about $16 on the singles at one of the TRSI ADV-dumps... The bad humour of Fumoffu! managed a smirk or two, but no laughs. It was really painful to watch...

Quote:
We never do get to see spoiler[all five of the Puella Magi in the series alive and interacting with each other at one time, much less without at least one wanting to kill at least one more], so seeing how they'd all react to a situation where they're all spoiler[alive and cooperative] could be interesting.

Watch them performing as a sentai team? Watching them all together, in combat or doing other things, could be fun.

Quote:
Really, thinking about it, a more direct Fumoffu-style comedy would be a whole lot more interesting than a slice-of-life series.

I never really got interested in Hidamari Sketch, but I'd much rather they follow that style, or the style of another slice-of-life series.
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:25 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
I've just realized this. Would a slice-of-life Madoka series be like in a form of Hidamari Sketch?

Exactly what I was thinking. Instead of art, the girls learn about how witches are created Razz
naninanino

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
Sounds like bad ideas all around.

Second that. I think Tomino is too senile to pull off anything grand anymore and Madoka is complete hax, thanks to the horrible style of Urobuchi. I can't see any of this working.
Rime of the Ancient Otaku

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Puella Magi Lucky Star?

Hmmm....

Nope--just can't see it.

yuna49 wrote:

Huh?
I was under the impression from various sources that proper Japanese corporate etiquette dictates nothing important gets decided until after hours; specifically, over booze and dinner/ snacks. Madoka's mother then is simply the ultimate example of a female salaryman--liver damage and all--as spoiler[she works late hours and wines-and-dines with coworkers (especially the Baldy in Accounting) in preparation for her bid for company president, as a sort of running gag back to her Episode 2 'wish'].
Cryssoberyl

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:39 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Cryssoberyl wrote:

Already been done. Check out Majokko Tsukune-chan.

Wow, how the heck did you come across this one?

There are more obscure anime I've sought out and watched, darkchibi, than are dreamt of in your philosophy. Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4