• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Genshiken 2 (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clarste

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:13 am Reply with quote
Oh, sorry. I assumed you were caught up with the current week.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Have Saki, Kousaka and Sasahara all graduated from college?
Clarste

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Yes.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:19 pm Reply with quote
I can't get Genshiken Nidaime out of my head, I keep thinking about it, the first 2 episodes were so good. It's mostly because of Hato-chan. Its so nice to have a show with a cute trap that's not all gags or fanservice for a change, and she isn't such a minor character either. I'm quite the trap otaku and I think treatment of this subject was long overdue and it was really pleasant to see a realistic spin on it with Hato's and Yajima's relationship. I will admit I found Yajima's attitude about Hato to be a bit on the homophobic side but she admitted her faults and I could see where she was coming from being such a butch woman who can't really do much about how she was born. I honestly thought she was a guy until the part where they were trying to get Madarame to pick out the guy amongst 3 girls.

Also I really love that they consistently use female pronouns for Hato in the subtitles, unless the situation warrants male pronouns.

However there is not enough evidence right now to determine whether Hato is really transgender. I think she may be, because she wants the type of people who she has interests in common with, and become friends with, to see her as a girl. This persona and gender expression is something she wants to be permanently a part of who she is, it just doesn't fit in with her academic life right now. And if she's truly to live as a woman, then she is straight if she ends up liking guys herself.

Edit: after watching ep 3 there's a slightly different interpretation evident, spoiler[but the Hato "entity" suggests something about him that has been with him since childhood.] I wonder if Hato's gender identity is going to be the main focus for at least an identifiable story arc of the season.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Hahaha, Nice Boat. I have no idea why that caught on so hard in Japan, but I love every time it pops up in anime. School Days lives on.
Bango

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:16 pm Reply with quote
These next episode preview speak so much truth. Also, funniest cosplay ever in that preview.

This ep wasn't quite as good as the others for me but it was still great. I'm liking that the sizable shift in cast isn't effecting my enjoyment in the slightest.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:44 pm Reply with quote
wow, all dem references. the only trap outfits I recognized were spoiler[otoboku and I think Maria Holic]. I have no idea who Hato was suppose to be at comic fest. Dont know who Yajima was dressed up as in Ogiue's apartment. Was Sue spoiler[Integra Hellsing]? Speaking of Sue, when did she grow so attached to Ogiue? was it when she and Angel visited Japan in Season 2?
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:55 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
I have no idea who Hato was suppose to be at comic fest.

I'm pretty sure that was the main male character from their in-series otaku show Kujibiki Unbalance.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:01 pm Reply with quote
oh, a gender-bent Chihiro?
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4
Sue is just too adorable in this series imo. Oh and all those references.....every episode. There was one right in the beginning for episode. I think anyone who watched spoiler[School Days] before might recognize it.

spoiler[NICE BOAT]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:01 pm Reply with quote
I'm not familiar with Kujibiki Unbalance (yeah I know it's part of Genshiken) but I don't think Hato was cosplaying anyone in particular while they were in line. The reason she was dressed like that was because they agreed it would cause problems if she looked like her usual female self. But she is ever adamant about not being boy-type spoiler[Ranma 1/2 reference] Hato while hanging out with Genshiken. So basically dressing like a reverse-trap (notice she was talking with her female voice). It's a good thing they effectively wrote Ogiue out of the episode, Hato looked so much like her that it would have been too difficult to tell them apart.

And then the whole crossdress vs cosplay thing. Hato's friends were expecting her to cosplay a trap character, so technically it wouldn't be crossdressing (even though she's wearing girls clothes). But again she bent the rules a bit because she wanted to see what it was like to cosplay a female character rather than just crossdress as her usual self.

spoiler[I so want that T-shirt now.]
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Past wrote:
I'm not familiar with Kujibiki Unbalance (yeah I know it's part of Genshiken) but I don't think Hato was cosplaying anyone in particular while they were in line. The reason she was dressed like that was because they agreed it would cause problems if she looked like her usual female self.

Not how Hato was dressed in line, the coplay worn when they got inside (around 13:25).
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
Past wrote:
I'm not familiar with Kujibiki Unbalance (yeah I know it's part of Genshiken) but I don't think Hato was cosplaying anyone in particular while they were in line. The reason she was dressed like that was because they agreed it would cause problems if she looked like her usual female self.

Not how Hato was dressed in line, the coplay worn when they got inside (around 13:25).
Ah ok, I understand now. Yeah heh, like I said I know nothing about Kujian. Since Hato is crossplaying a girl character I didn't think you were talking about her when you mentioned Chihiro. But why would they gender-bend Chihiro then have Hato cosplay her?

Edit: I think in the drama CD Hato mentions, Chihiro dresses up as a fujoshi, so Hato is correcting them by saying she is in fact cosplaying an otokonoko (which then explains why we are hearing her thoughts in her male voice). Yajima and Rika didn't know that because that was only on the drama CD. Like who actually buys those? Laughing
Nobuyuki

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:49 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
Was Sue spoiler[Integra Hellsing]?

Not according to the manga footnotes for Vol. 2. Wink

Quote:
Speaking of Sue, when did she grow so attached to Ogiue? was it when she and Angel visited Japan in Season 2?

Pretty much. Esp. after she found Oguie's Sasa x Mada comic.
"Real hardcore."
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5 of Second Generation

Well that got kind of intense.

Madarame's got that mal-nourished Japanese salaryman thing down pat I'd say. It is interesting how he seems to have grown to be attractive to more than one person and at the same time he has no idea on how to deal with it.

The girl VA's English was pretty good, even though they can't do a convincing American. Not that it matters.

I must say that I am getting a bit weary of anime that have episodes set in Comiket. It feels like I have been there even though I never have.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7