• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kodansha Adds New U.S. Shugo Chara!, Until the Full Moon Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Myaow wrote:
Weren't the Tokyopop Tokyo Mew Mew translations really bad though? Like they couldn't figure out what the attack names were and kept changing them from volume to volume. Not to mention my copies had all sorts of gross printing errors on them.

I owned up to vol. 5 until recently and yeah, there's some truth to that.

The translation itself wasn't bad except for the weird-ass names (but then that was the author's doing, for the most part, right?). My main complaint was the hard-to-read font TP chose to use. Curly girly type of thing that was a strain on the eyes.

Looks like KUSA is gearing up for some strong releases. I'm always hesitant to buy omnibuses since I don't wanna miss out on any cover art or anything that the individual volumes had, but with recent ones I've noticed companies have included the cover arts inside the omnibuses as if they were color insert pages, so I'm cautiously hopeful KUSA will do the same. Anime hyper
N.R.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
I'll definately be picking up Love Hina since I missed it the first time around.

Not to go too far off topic, but I noticed on the Kodansha website that Negima! is getting a re-release of the first 3 volumes as an omnibus with a new translation in June. I thought Del Rey's release was very good, was there a problem with their earlier volumes, or the translations for the series in general I'm not aware of?

Well, there was that one infamous translation error that got the translator fired: he mistranslated Nagi's aliases and called him "the southern Master" instead of "the thousand master". This error repeated throughout the first two volumes, and was later fixed in the second edition. The translator got the boot and Del Rey actually apologized to the fans for that mishap.

I read my copy of Love Hina so many times that by now its in bad shape. Kodansha, if you add lots of extras I'll be rebuying Love Hina (I need to think for the future yes?). And please catch up to Akamatsu sensei's active manga - Negima. I'll cry if Negima slows down to one volume a year due to Kodansha picking too many series.
Also as it always was a favorite of mine I'll be buying Sailor V on day one! I'm so happy it will be released officially in English, because it really deserves it.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Awesome! I only have volume 1 of Tokyo Mew Mew (I literally slept with it the night I bought it!), but I've seen all the anime fan-subbed. It's really an awesome series. It needs something like this. It's good to see Kodansha USA really jumping into the industry. I just hope we'll be able to find their manga at bookstores like B&N.

BTW, the article made a mistake. Tokyopop was Tokyo Mew Mew's original North American publisher, not Del Rey.
ChronoBall X

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:42 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Awesome! I only have volume 1 of Tokyo Mew Mew (I literally slept with it the night I bought it!), but I've seen all the anime fan-subbed. It's really an awesome series. It needs something like this. It's good to see Kodansha USA really jumping into the industry. I just hope we'll be able to find their manga at bookstores like B&N.

BTW, the article made a mistake. Tokyopop was Tokyo Mew Mew's original North American publisher, not Del Rey.

awsome,I own all 7 volumes of the original tokyo mew mew manga,and i enjoyed it,all though i liked the anime slightly better,the anime version had more focused on the other mew mews other than ichigo.

but anyway,even though tokyopop screwed up on some parts of the translations like they're attack names and can't seem to make up they're minds on what they're ages are,but alot better than how tokyopop handled the sailor moon manga. Very Happy
hopeybaby

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 8:36 pm Reply with quote
WHAAAAAAT!!!!!!! MORE SHUGO CHARA!!! YAY!!! ... it will be anime though.... right?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3