• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Cartoon Network Less Cartoony

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scatteredshadows

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Well, I remember when AMC, supposedly 'American Movie Classics', was actually an appropos title for the channel. Then, slowly but surely, they evolved into the mockery they are today.

The same can be said of A&E, allegedly 'Arts & Entertainment'. Now, it's basically only the 'E', but then, some OTHER channel is just E(!), so why can't we have the dose of 'A' we were promised, just for variety (and truth in advertising)? Another funny moment in broadcasting was when TNN, nee The Nashville Network, was in the process of being rebranded into Spike, but still carried the TNN name. So you'd have Star Trek: TNG after the Dukes of Hazzard.

Of course MTV pioneered this trend of showing anything but what your name suggests. Figures. Ah narrowcasting, where have you gone? It seems every channel has abandoned it's core purpose in an effort to make a play for the mainstream, resulting in a raft of generic, unfocused channels.

Specific to Cartoon Network, I don't understand why they would mess with their brand like this. It's like Animal Planet deciding to show 'Terms of Endearment', because 'humans are animals too'. While I can see airing something like 'Roger Rabbit' or even 'Small Soldiers', since they both play with the notion of cartoon/toy reality versus our own (Plus Small Soldiers is rather ironic since it damns the same toy industry that CN makes most of it's income from), or MAYBE something based on a cartoon like Scooby Doo, I cannot understand how any other live action programming fits. The more they stretch people's understanding of what CN is, the more they will lose their identity, and in the long run, viewership. Imagine if ESPN started airing 'Webster' because the guy who played the father used to be in the NFL.

These things happen by degrees, so at first it may be hard to fathom how bad of a decision this is. But in 10 years when Cartoon Network is showing Krull and The Scorpion King 3 times a day because they are 'cartoonish', it will be obvious.
tlsmith1963

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:28 pm Reply with quote
It's just like what is happening with the Sci-Fi Channel. They seem to show more horror & "reality" shows than actual Science Fiction. Stick to what your name implies, cable networks!

Tammy
bebop26

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Well, kiss our beloved Cartoon Network goodbye, be prepared to start viewing Small Soldiers and Honey We Shrunk Ourselves 5 days a week. I too believe this a very bad move on CN's part, actually very surprising for them and consider this a step backward. Maybe a real non-cartoonish movie like Scooby Doo I can understand, but Small Soldiers?

Lets hope adult swim doesn't start airing shows like Teen Titans or Totally Spies.
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:34 pm Reply with quote
i just don't understand why they have to do it. i mean aren't the ratings already strong enough? i thought they were in like the top 5.
Kholdstare

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:05 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
I think Who Framed Roger Rabbit is headed to [as].

not 100% certain though...

No, it is not. Who Framed Roger Rabbit is scheduled to air for the first time on Sunday November 6 at 7 pm, which is a good 3 hours before Adult Swim airs.

I also heard that CN picked up the original (and somewhat decent) 'Honey I Shrunk the Kids' as opposed to the awful straight to video sequel 'Honey We Shrunk Ourselves'. This at least makes a little more sense because I remember Roger Rabbit and Honey I Shrunk the Kids were bundled together on video when they were released back in around 1990.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:06 pm Reply with quote
And suddenly 'CN's ratings drop even further into the toilet. I can't believe I would live to see this happen to the one station that became the station to air cartoons 24 hrs a day. That was the one reason people wanted this channel and many areas couldn't get it right off the back unless they voted it in.

So what's going to happen to the 'Toonami' line up? Or the 'Adult Swim?' or 'Teen Titans'?

I guess with 'CN' is trying a new angle with showing kids movies now. It could almost work. But...
Trident

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, I feel like there's just been a dearth of creativity lately in general, and this is just the newest victim. I mean, honestly, it feels like the vast majority of, say, movies that come out are a rehashing of a book or another movie (anyone else hear about Sylvester Stallone's "new" movies?), and, heck, even a lot of best-selling novels are just variations on familiar themes (in a related note, Anne Rice got her some Jesus). Okay, so maybe CN is going to start showing some live action movies for licensing reasons or some such crap--"Oh, look, The Goonies is clearly the inspiration for this particular show"--but really, it's probably that they can't come up with any new clever and creative show and/or can't acquire the license to air any other toon.

The real question is, what can be done to reclaim Cartoon Network for the toons? Who will be our Eddie Valiant, protecting this beloved network from the psychological turpentine of live-action Judge Doom?
JETBLACK87

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:17 am Reply with quote
tlsmith1963 wrote:
It's just like what is happening with the Sci-Fi Channel. They seem to show more horror & "reality" shows than actual Science Fiction. Stick to what your name implies, cable networks!

Tammy

I don't think the fantasy stuff belongs on there either.
Kyuuketsuki_Kurai

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:17 am Reply with quote
IanC wrote:
Urrr, whats so "adult" about Roger Rabbit?

The fact that Jessica Rabbit started out in adult cartoons to begin with?
Plus, language.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
son_michael

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:30 am Reply with quote
what are you guys talking about?

I haven't seen any live action stuff on CN, it still shows anime and cartoons, and all the old stuff is on boomerang

right now CN has an awsome set up, so this just cant be true!!

where did you get this info from?!

dammit this is all the wb's fault! damm channel 11 abusing there power over CN!!-_-

Last edited by son_michael on Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Bell02

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:31 am Reply with quote
After their ratings come in for this... it'll leave us for good. For now, I'm going to raid the CN boards though
tooki

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:33 am Reply with quote
Terrible. Just terrible. I used to love Cartoon Network, but over the last 5 years, it's just gotton progressively worse....and the crap has even caried over to Boomerang--which was supposed to have the old, good stuff, but instead shows the same few episodes of Duck Dogers (the new version) over and over again with a few episodes of Smurfs and Looney Toons mixed in.

This truly is the beginning of the end for CN, and a great example of why I don't get cable TV anymore. After TechTV (BEST CHANNEL EVER!!!) merged with G4 (TERRIBLE), I thought TV couldn't get any worse, but apparently I was wrong.
Hika Yagami

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:48 am Reply with quote
OMG!! I can't believe they're doing this! I hope the ratings don't get so low that the channel gets kicked pff. I love the Toonami block and I hope it doesn't go anytime soon. What will I watch with my brothers every Saturday night?

Hika Yagami
Chosren One

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:07 am Reply with quote
Well as long as Adult Swim is still airing The Boondocks, I could care less aout any other aspect of the network.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:45 am Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
So what's going to happen to the 'Toonami' line up? Or the 'Adult Swim?' or 'Teen Titans'?

Here's hoping they show Battle Royale on [adult swim]. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7