• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jason Thompson's House of 1000 Manga - Card Captor Sakura

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:04 am Reply with quote
As a fan of the magical girl genre I've never watched nor read Card Captor Sakura. When I see the CCS omnibus on sale next time I will pick it up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:32 am Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
wandering-dreamer wrote:
Also, gotta ask, am I the only one around here with that book of the Clow Cards? Very Happy

*rasies hand very slowly, feeling modest*

Nope, I've got it too, still with every card, along with a couple of those scary dolls, and the only Syaoran figure they ever released here (Syaoran was my favorite character - they never did enough merch with him in Japan or North America). My pride and joy however is this adorable Kero purse/backpack that is like a stuff animal that rests on your shoulder. Got that as an Japanese import at an anime convention, and I've never ran into another person with one.

Oh yeah, and a complete set of CLAMP no Kiseki. Needed the Syaoran figure in that even if it was Tsubasa Syaoran.

I obviously love Cardcaptor Sakura. The DVDs really need to be released because when they were I never had a job.

I don't know if I want to bother buying the manga now that Darkhorse is releasing it. I already have all the Tokyopop editions, flipped and unflipped, and if I recall they already changed the translation a bit between the two. I can't really justify buying another edition.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:11 am Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:

Nope, I've got it too, still with every card, along with a couple of those scary dolls, and the only Syaoran figure they ever released here (Syaoran was my favorite character - they never did enough merch with him in Japan or North America). My pride and joy however is this adorable Kero purse/backpack that is like a stuff animal that rests on your shoulder. Got that as an Japanese import at an anime convention, and I've never ran into another person with one.

Ohhh, do want! As for the Clamp re-releases, I think Kodansha is going to be releasing some of them themselves or such but I don't remember which series.
Julia-the-Great

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:21 am Reply with quote
This was my first manga series and remains to this day my favorite. The only series I have triple-dipped on.

I have the tiny flipped releases, I have the TP releases, and now I have the Dark Horse omnibus. For those of you who have the TP release and don't want to get the omnibus, let me just tell you that it is worth every penny. Better translation, better paper quality, and COLOR PICTURES. I'll keep all my old single releases because that's the kind of collector I am, but anyone who considers themselves a CCS fan would be remiss not to pick up the omnibus edition. Just sayin'. You'll thank me.
ptolemy18
Manga Reviewer/Creator/Taster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:29 am Reply with quote
redcar wrote:
Great article! I can't help but think that this should have been posted tomorrow on April 1st, but it's appreciated nonetheless.

It's not an April Fool's Joke....! -_-
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:33 am Reply with quote
Julia-the-Great wrote:
Better translation, better paper quality, and COLOR PICTURES. I'll keep all my old single releases because that's the kind of collector I am, but anyone who considers themselves a CCS fan would be remiss not to pick up the omnibus edition. Just sayin'. You'll thank me.

I guess I could buy it to have it sit pretty on my shelf, but if it's like their Clover release I'd be too afraid to open it up and read - as soon as I did that with the Clover release the spine got ruined. These super sized omnibuses are a nice idea and all to save money, but they end up looking worn really fast because it's still a regular - paperback glued spine. The bigger the page count with those, the more visible damage.

Are there actual colored comic pages, or just splash page artwork, because I still have Tokyopop's Art of Cardcaptor Sakura books, and if that's all they are I don't think I'm missing out. I guess I'll have to look through one next time I'm at the bookstore.
ptolemy18

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:53 am Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
Thompson said, "This is a beautifully drawn series that gets into your heart." That's a false statement. No, it doesn't. Not mine (and yes, I know it's the generic "you"). That statement is about what people think about the manga, not about the manga itself. It may be true for the vast majority of its readers, but not this one, and I don't get why.

Fair 'nuff, the line is simply a value judgment. When I'm reading manga of a genre I don't like very much (like magical girls), I often have to ask myself "Is this manga ACTUALLY good, or is it just good compared to the other (magical girl) genre manga I'm used to reading?" (Not naming any names...) Am I just giving Cardcaptor Sakura a pass because it's not as bad as Manga X? (I mean a generic manga, not X/1999)

I don't think so. I don't think Cardcaptor Sakura is perfect, the second half is a little bit weaker than the first IMHO, but it's good stuff. Here's some reasons why:

(1) The art. It's so crisp and clear, the lines and forms are distinct, the tone levels are very controlled (i.e. no overly dark, muddy, ugly tones.... although you have to see it in a good printed edition, not some crummy scan, to appreciate this).

(2) The little ways it plays around with the cliches of the magical-girl genre and builds a more detailed world upon it. The origin of Sakura's wand, Sakura's costumes, the magic system, etc.

(3) The way it tells (for the first half) a series of episodic chapter-by-chapter stories without, at least for me, making it seem like it's just spinning its wheels. It keeps retelling Sakura's origin, and you *know* in every episode Sakura is going to run into a Clow Card, but it manages to keep a feeling of a certain forward motion from story to episodic story. And although you know no one is really going to get hurt (because it's a magical girl manga), it manages to build some tension in some episodes, like The Maze, The Mirror etc. And the resolutions are generally clever and don't always just involve Sakura willpowering her way out of things in typical manga fashion. This is good storytelling on a micro level.

(4) The love theme is well handled. All of the relationships are different and have a different feel, from the funny crushes to the sad 'lost loves' (like Sakura's parents) to the silly day-by-day relationship between Yamazaki and what's-her-face. The scene when Sakura confesses to Yukito plays out in an unexpected and believable way. The developing love between Syaoran and Sakura also feels realistic to me, and defies convention because spoiler[ Sakura spends most of the manga in love with someone else, in a 'fake love' for Yukito, and then only gradually falls in 'real love' with Syaoran at the end of the series. The moral of CCS is that love between a 10-year-old and a 17-year-old is fake love! So it can't be moe!.... Well, except for the matter of the student-teacher relationship which has an even bigger age gap and is presented as being awesomesauce, but I'm just going to give that one a pass as fan service. -_- ]

Of course, it's your right not to like CCS, but I think these are all ways in which it's noteworthy. My second favorite magical girl manga is Sugar Sugar Rune.
ptolemy18

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:01 am Reply with quote
ittoujuu wrote:
It's good to hear that King of RPGs Vol. 2 is coming out! I really enjoyed the first, in that way where you laugh at a hilarious but kind of mean-spirited joke, only to realize you're really laughing at yourself too. If I had artistic skill, I would roll for initiative on those great t-shirts.

Thanks! Smile I'm posting some new stuff now on kingofrpgs.com, and I should have preview pages of volume 2 up soon.
malvarez1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Cool article, I enjoyed it. I am glad that Dark Horse is re-releasing CCS, I read it soooo long ago.
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:37 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
Julia-the-Great wrote:
Better translation, better paper quality, and COLOR PICTURES. I'll keep all my old single releases because that's the kind of collector I am, but anyone who considers themselves a CCS fan would be remiss not to pick up the omnibus edition. Just sayin'. You'll thank me.

I guess I could buy it to have it sit pretty on my shelf, but if it's like their Clover release I'd be too afraid to open it up and read - as soon as I did that with the Clover release the spine got ruined. These super sized omnibuses are a nice idea and all to save money, but they end up looking worn really fast because it's still a regular - paperback glued spine. The bigger the page count with those, the more visible damage.

Are there actual colored comic pages, or just splash page artwork, because I still have Tokyopop's Art of Cardcaptor Sakura books, and if that's all they are I don't think I'm missing out. I guess I'll have to look through one next time I'm at the bookstore.

I never bought the Tokyopop releases... actually I do have a couple of random volumes, but that's still 10 I don't have from that release, so if I want to get the series in an offical physical book (rather than digital files, even if they are legit) release and not pay huge amounts of money for it, these new omnibuses are my only option. The print quality is excellent and the larger page size probably shows off the artwork better (it certainly looks gorgeous), while I don't know whether the artwork is in the artbooks you mentioned (there are no coloured comic pages, they are all full page pictures that are bonuses rather than being part of the comics themselves) it certainly is beautiful and really made me feel like that was money well spent. However, yes, the spine gets really worn really quickly, the front and back of my edition look very good but from the spine you'd think I'd read it many times (I've only read the first two tankoubon contained in the first omnibus, though I have gazed lovingly at the colour pages sandwiched between each tankoubon and at the beginning and end many times).
redcar

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:57 pm Reply with quote
ptolemy18 wrote:

It's not an April Fool's Joke....! -_-

Of course not. April 1st is a significant day for CLAMP, and it is also Sakura-chan's birthday Very Happy
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:51 pm Reply with quote
After realizing the debacle I saw on TV was edited kiddy crap, I would like to rewatch the series in unedited original format. Is it too late? I heard the DVDs have gotten notoriously rare.
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:46 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
After realizing the debacle I saw on TV was edited kiddy crap, I would like to rewatch the series in unedited original format. Is it too late? I heard the DVDs have gotten notoriously rare.

If you're only willing to watch it through legal means, it will most likely be prohibitively expensive. I'm extremely lucky to have just the first boxset (and the first single, which I'm reluctant to sell in case anything happens to the first disc from the boxset).
skchai1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:07 am Reply with quote
In conjunction with a charity to aid victims of the Tohoku earthquake, CLAMP just uploaded an AMV of sorts to Niconico Douga featuring a new wallpaper of Sakura. The details of how the donations will be raised are going to be released April 6.

The background music is Purachina/Platinum. At the end of the "AMV", the voice of original seiyuu Tange Sakura comes on, saying 「Zettai Daijoubu da yo!」 ("We're definitely OK!").

Any fanboys swooning yet? If you're not in Japan it might be difficult to contribute directly to CLAMP/Sakura's charity, but perhaps it might open up your wallets to the Red Cross or other reputable charity?
maxxjulie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:39 pm Reply with quote
i flipped through it at borders and remember thinking how pretty it looked. the best drawn manga i've ever seen.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4