• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gatchaman Crowds (TV) (both seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rheiders

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Wasn't sure about the first episode (liked the art style, but the story and characters didn't grab me), but I really liked the second episode. The integration of social networking in the story should be interesting, and I like that it seems to be taking a fair and even positive opinion towards it (I pretty much agree with danilo07's assessment). Hajime seemed like she would be annoying at first--similar to Haru--but I'm really starting to like her. She's hyper and weird and seems like an airhead, but she's actually sharp-witted and very perceptive. I like her antagonistic relationship with Sugane too.
Bango

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:03 am Reply with quote
It's rare that a show gets all the way up to ep3 without me having formed any solid opinion of it. I honestly have no clue what to expect from this thing anymore. I'd even say I have LESS of an opinion (good or bad) than I did at the end of ep1.

But I guess that's still a successful show because it means I'll watch episode 4. This is an extremely weird feeling but I'm not exactly adverse to it.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:17 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

I don't know what to quite think either.

Except, what a trap.
wm4

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:24 am Reply with quote
A vertical society as Rui described delegates the government functions to different layers,
(in reality) it makes the public services extremely inefficient and human-unfriendly when the
supposingly independent layers don't want to fail, losing their reputations and so they always push
the problems to another layers/peers and delaying the services.

It is ironically to see while Rui hates the vertical government, he ended up running a similar vertical
structure he hates - Galax, the HUNDREDS special force, the Galactors - and, exactly the same as
an institution, to keep Galax's reputation, he also uses abnormal measures, uses the Galax army,
and keep the secrets from the public, like what the institution does, always. At the idealism
level I agreed with Rui's thoughts that the static, corrupted society needs reformations in some way,
but I think what he does now will never reach his ultimate mission, and because he is somewhat
naive, he failed to realize that.

But I like Rui pretty much, he is just wronged, still a great character.

I like that they can make every characters deep, it makes this show so great and make the
Gatchaman name good. I seriously hope that they don't screw the season finale.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Rui is a moron.

He says that vertical societies are wrong but has created his own vertical online society.

He says that his enemies are those that won't do anything without being rewarded, yet his own social network actively rewards people with points for doing good deeds, points which they can then squander on trivial stuff like new clothes for their avatar. By his own logic his users are no better than the people he thinks are his enemies.

Hajime is also an idiot.

She says not to blindly trust the internet and yet she blindly trusts the internet. Nice going there, genius.

But what I really don't like about Hajime is that she's this perfect person who is always right and is super-popular and does whatever she likes and is above the rules. Mary Sues are really boring, and Hajime is not so much an actual character but more like a plot device. Some people have likened her to a Manic Pixie Dream Girl who will change the stuffy hero and help him to see in a more positive light. Although she isn't really a love interest, I have to agree that she does meet the general description.
danilo07

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:04 am Reply with quote
Quote:
He says that vertical societies are wrong but has created his own vertical online society.

You are right about that,but I think that creators knew that as well which would make Rui a hypocrite rather than a moron.
Quote:
She says not to blindly trust the internet and yet she blindly trusts the internet. Nice going there, genius.

That I found interesting,but she was using GALAX before the start of the series so something might have won her trust over.It might a simple benefit/loss idea,if the milk she stopped from being drank turned out to be good she wouldn't really be punished,however if it turned out to be poisonous like it really was people would die.
Quote:
But what I really don't like about Hajime is that she's this perfect person who is always right and is super-popular and does whatever she likes and is above the rules. Mary Sues are really boring, and Hajime is not so much an actual character but more like a plot device.

They arent characters,they are types.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:08 am Reply with quote
Rui is a moron because he cannot see how hypocritical he is, and because he can't understand that his users are no different than those he calls his enemies.

So he's a hypocrite and a moron.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:56 am Reply with quote
WTF Rui is a guy?
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:15 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

I don't think it's quite that straightforward for her. I *think* that she is saying that the Internet (and GALAX in particular) is *useful*, or rather it is helpful. The ideals GALAX espouses -- that of helping people solve problems through opening useful communication with others -- is something she strongly supports. However, "blind trust" would imply that if GALAX's ideals changed, she would continue to use it. I am pretty sure she would stop using GALAX the instant that happened, as GALAX would cease to be a fellow traveler.

Ultimately, Hajime follows her own moral compass. And while she feels that GALAX helps make the world a better place, it doesn't replace her own compass, and I think that's what she was trying to get across to her fellow Gatchaman.

And yes, I would definitely agree that Hajime is a Pixie Dream Girl.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
However, "blind trust" would imply that if GALAX's ideals changed, she would continue to use it. I am pretty sure she would stop using GALAX the instant that happened, as GALAX would cease to be a fellow traveler.

But she doesn't even know what GALAX's true ideals are in the first place. And yet she's told the milk is bad and instantly believes it without question; that's blind trust.

WhiteHairGirls wrote:
WTF Rui is a guy?

I was surprised too, but according to official character bios he is indeed a boy.
Bango

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:58 pm Reply with quote
I took her milk reaction as a gung-ho strength desire to help in a crisis more than her blindly trusting GAINAX, although she likely gives it a lot of trust too.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:09 pm Reply with quote
How bad is bad milk? I mean, is the scale of the panic really appropriate?
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:14 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
However, "blind trust" would imply that if GALAX's ideals changed, she would continue to use it. I am pretty sure she would stop using GALAX the instant that happened, as GALAX would cease to be a fellow traveler.

But she doesn't even know what GALAX's true ideals are in the first place. And yet she's told the milk is bad and instantly believes it without question; that's blind trust.

I certainly agree that she currently trusts GALAX. GALAX, as far as I can tell, has earned her trust from her past experiences with it. But I think there is a difference between trusting a source and *blindly* trusting it. She trusted GALAX and acted on the information because if it was wrong, people would be inconvenienced (and she would get into some sort of trouble), but if it were right, people would get sick and maybe die.

At any rate, I was talking about her general attitude towards GALAX, which is what she was talking about with Sugane. It is also what they had a conversation about when Sugane was opposed to helping (at first). She's not quite so airheaded as she seems. And her final comment implied to me that she was only interested in GALAX as long as GALAX remained useful to her, rather her following what it said no matter what, which is what I call "blind trust".

So, I think she trusts GALAX, but not blindly, and not at the price of ignoring her own views of right and wrong.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Bango wrote:
I took her milk reaction as a gung-ho strength desire to help in a crisis more than her blindly trusting GAINAX, although she likely gives it a lot of trust too.

"GAINAX"? That seems to be a typo.

She had to blindly trust that GALAX was right about the milk being bad. Sure, it turned out that GALAX was right, just like it usually (always?) is, but she's at the point where it tells her something and she doesn't question it at all. Which runs contrary to her statement that one shouldn't rely on the internet. She wants to help, true, but she also obeys whatever she's told to do.

Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
So, I think she trusts GALAX, but not blindly, and not at the price of ignoring her own views of right and wrong.

You are ignoring the salient point that the one who tells her what to do is GALAX. If it had told her the photocopiers were bad she would have gone round unplugging them all, even if the photocopiers weren't bad.

I know that you are talking about morals. But even then, she's willing to break school rules, ignore the directive of a teacher, damage property, and get a classmate into trouble, just because a thing on the internet told her something. She instantly believed it and acted on the information without thinking, "Is this the right thing to do?" That's what I mean by blind trust. If GALAX told her that a guy in a car near her was a terrorist she would immediately perform a citizen's arrest on him, whether he was actually a terrorist or not. That's a scary level of trust to put into anything, especially some online app.

If she ever found out that GALAX was bad then sure, she'd stop using it. But the thing is, how is she going to find out before its too late and she is manipulated into doing something wrong?

Yttrbio wrote:
How bad is bad milk? I mean, is the scale of the panic really appropriate?

I too thought that was pretty bizarre. Bad milk is easy to detect because of the obvious smell. And how did one batch of bad milk affect the entire country of a hundred-twenty million people?
Bango

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Nope. No typo. It's now GAINAX and you should all call it such. Laughing

Regarding the milk I don't remember what they said was wrong with it exactly and I can't check but there's a lot that can go wrong with it other than it just being spoiled that you'd never know. I can also almost guarentee that everyone in any industrialized nation has ingested faulty milk at some point. I worked in H&S for meat once and there are many problems just in the packing, cutting and shipping process that can cause bad thing to happen which doesn't cause the product to go rotten.

True, sour milk is pretty darned obvious. I'm sure we've all picked up a carton and heard the chunky noises or smelled that stench at some point. But not counting whatever funky futuristic crap they're adding to it just something like the coating on the inside of the container being going through a chemical reaction for some reason could cause potentially dangerous stuff to be added to the milk.

Of course this is all made moot if they actually said in the show what went wrong.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 12