• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: R2 Fullmetal Alchemist Movie Subtitled

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drwyrm

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:

This should explain everything.

Only it doesn't explain everything, since Europe is PAL and Japan is NTSC (like the US), so even though the dvd will be the right region, it won't be the right output for the tv.
remember love

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 7:56 pm Reply with quote
drwyrm wrote:
Tony K. wrote:

Only it doesn't explain everything, since Europe is PAL and Japan is NTSC (like the US), so even though the dvd will be the right region, it won't be the right output for the tv.

Yeah...but isn't it easy to get an american television in Europe depending on where you live?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Irukichan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 10:01 pm Reply with quote
This is awesome news Anime smile I'm gonna reserve a copy by the end of the week.

Does CDJapan have good packaging? I'd hate for it to get damaged during shipment, It has happened before. I want it to be in perfect condition if I buy something that expensive.

Anyone seen the Japanese FMA R2 box? I want that sooo bad *_* Too bad it's probably a bajillion dollars now.
darcerin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 10:09 pm Reply with quote
CaptainRisu wrote:
darcerin wrote:

Did Millenium Actress not come out with a subbed version over here? I saw it subbed in a theater in NYC, I figured they'd release it on DVD with subs as well as dubbed.

it only came out subbed. never dubbed.

Good, then I'll just go order it. I saw it subbed, I don't want to wait around just for a dub to come out. *shrug*
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 10:42 pm Reply with quote
CD Japan package their orders fairly compotently, as a lot of people ordering from there want their items in completely mint condition. Personally, I'd wait for the preorders to go up at www.amazon.co.jp, since it'd be cheaper in the long run.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 11:14 pm Reply with quote
drwyrm wrote:
Tony K. wrote:

OK, I meant numbers-wise, it should explain everything. I forget about PAL all the time because most of the DVDs I have are NTSC aside from one or two.
Demaar

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 3:00 am Reply with quote
drwyrm wrote:
Tony K. wrote:

More often than not, only the Japanese will have that problem. Every PAL TV I've come across in the past 10 years has had NTSC support.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:16 am Reply with quote
darcerin wrote:
CaptainRisu wrote:
darcerin wrote:

Did Millenium Actress not come out with a subbed version over here? I saw it subbed in a theater in NYC, I figured they'd release it on DVD with subs as well as dubbed.

it only came out subbed. never dubbed.

Good, then I'll just go order it. I saw it subbed, I don't want to wait around just for a dub to come out. *shrug*

Go Fish's stance on dubs is that they are inferior to the original Japanese, however, the truth is that these dipshits are too lazy or don't know how to make a dub, so they release everything subtitled only. However, Manga UK has the rights to Ghost in the Shell 2 in Europe and will be making a dub using the U.S. talent from Stand Alone Complex. They may do the same with Millenium Actress sometime in the future.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
What I personally find funny is that everyone's already scrambling for information about region-free players to import the DVD, when odds are this thing'll probably Engrishy as hell and it'll probably be more worth it to just wait for the Region 1 release translated by native English speakers and sold for a third of the price. Laughing
You're making a rather irrational assumption there. You think there aren't any Japanese speaking Americans looking for that kind of job over there? I'd wager there's at least a few. Also that statement could be cons crewed as saying that there aren't any Japanese who can speak good enough English to do a proper job. That would be a major mistake.

drwyrm wrote:
It doesn't matter as what ever player a country uses will convert the digital information into that analogue system for that receiver. so you might lose 50 lines at the top and bottom on PAL, but the picture quality and colour will shine through no problem. Playing R2 NTSC in the US on a US multi player would be even easier. There's a reason why they call it "Region Coding " and TV system format is only the façade. Wink
Shinotaku14
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Demaar wrote:
drwyrm wrote:
Tony K. wrote:

More often than not, only the Japanese will have that problem. Every PAL TV I've come across in the past 10 years has had NTSC support.

Heck, some DVD players will convert for you.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
kurono-

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:54 am Reply with quote
I'm planning on buying this from Amazon.co.jp and it will the first time I ever buy something from there. I was just wondering, how much would it cost to import it to Canada. The tariffs, etc.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:51 am Reply with quote
Millenium Actress was actually released in the UK very recently, using a UK voice cast comprising talent from BBC-radio dramas, so it should be quite a treat!
Demaar

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:22 am Reply with quote
Shinotaku14 wrote:
Demaar wrote:

Heck, some DVD players will convert for you.
True enough. That completely slipped my mind.
The whole PAL vs NTSC thing is almost artificial now. They're just trying to keep us herded into our little regions.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mad_Triad

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:42 am Reply with quote
Starwind Amada wrote:

Go Fish's stance on dubs is that they are inferior to the original Japanese, however, the truth is that these dipshits are too lazy or don't know how to make a dub, so they release everything subtitled only. However, Manga UK has the rights to Ghost in the Shell 2 in Europe and will be making a dub using the U.S. talent from Stand Alone Complex. They may do the same with Millenium Actress sometime in the future.

Bad subtitles at that... it was so annoying watching the film with those captioned subtitles, I have V1 of R1 GITS2... its a shame I can't replace it over here. Oh yeah and the bad packaging too.

Manga UK have already made the dub for Millenium Actress, it's pretty darn good.
Zayn

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 3:36 pm Reply with quote
darcerin wrote:
DKL wrote:
So how much will it cost?

You know... I need an ALL REGION player too... if only to import INNOCENCE and MILLENNIUM ACTRESS Confused

I think All region players go for about $100 or less.
the PS2 is an all regional player in itself if u were unaware of that
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4