• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Sakura Wars: What Is It Good For?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inu14

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Like others I was glad to see an article on ANN today. I have been a fan of the series since I bought the OVA Tape when it was first released in the states. Since then I managed to amass as many of the games that I could find (GBC/Dreamcast/PS2/NDS/Wii) as well as the anime dvd's, though I managed to achieve the Iris ending in the GBA game when I first played it (when I knew no Japanese at all) so had to play again to get a different charactcer!

I was very lucky to visit the Sakura Wars Cafe twice before it shut down, the cafe was quite a nice place, it had some nice themed dishes and cocktails (you got little plastic coasters with the character of the cocktail you selected), the had a model of the Kobu and a shop where you could buy exclusive merchandise ^^. I was sad to see it go Anime cry.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SwordKing

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:39 pm Reply with quote
This series is really good. I have seen nearly all of the OVAs and the TV anime and the movie. I have a small but awesome collection of Sakura Taisen. I have the new Sakura Taisen PC in Chinese released in 2007 and Sakura Taisen V for the PS2 and Dramatic Dungeon Sakura Taisen for NDS.

There was also a PSP port of Sakura Taisen 1+2 that was rejected by the SCEA in 2010 that no one mentioned. It happened after Sakura Taisen V was released and didn't do well. I am sure that all of you will be interested in that. It still a Japan only title and there are still imports of it.
http://www.siliconera.com/2010/06/29/nis-americas-president-on-anime-crossovers-sakura-wars-and-ps3-development/

For those people that have not finished Sakura Taisen V, it has a new game plus mode once you finish it once. It carries over your relationships with your teammates. I have already beat the game once and am currently working on new game plus. Very Happy

I am a big fan of Kohran, Sumire, and Sakura.
liminy0

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:29 pm Reply with quote
I picked up a Chinese PC port of the original Sakura Wars about five years ago (dirt cheap BTW, you can't even buy a BigMac with that much).
And my first impression: Good Lord, this game is WAY ahead of its time.
It was really relaxing game and feels more like an integrated VN. I was expecting some serious strategies like Fire Emblem, but the combat was rather light-hearted. (Of course, love the status boost if you favor a particular heroine)
It was really too sad to not see the original translated in English. I hope XSeed may take it to Steam some day. The anime was alright, but lacked the interactions (and the effort for conquest/romance) the game offered. I enjoyed the OVAs and the Movies, but the game itself is probably still the greatest piece of work.
I did get all the Chinese PC port for the first four game and the US release of the fifth. But school will delay them for a while Anime cry

Sumire is the greatest...enough said.
KariOhki

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:38 pm Reply with quote
I got into the series via the TV anime...I remember reading on some review site to pick it up, but don't get it confused with Sakura Diaries. So I did...and I hated it. I hated the art style, the plot was confusing, it jumped around too much, and the voices were bad (I wasn't into watching things with subtitles). So that one DVD sat on my shelf for 5 or so years...

And then I was at Anime Expo 2009. When NISA showed a trailer for the game at their panel. I remember commenting "oh I'll buy the limited edition pack to resell later", and ended up preordering the PS2 version. By the time the game was out the next spring, I had decided to give it a shot. About an hour after putting it into the system, I was hooked. I rarely do back-to-back playthroughs of a game, but I did with this one, scoring endings for Subaru and Ratchet.

It was all downhill from there. Imported the PSP re-release of 1 and 2. Bought a Japanese region Dreamcast for the 3rd and 4th games. Got the Columns spinoff games, and some other one for the Game Boy as well. A good foot of my game shelf is just Sakura Taisen games...and so on.

Sumire is my favorite, followed by Subaru, Ratchet, and Lobelia <3
twinklestarex

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:05 am Reply with quote
My favorite dating game-strategy game of all time!Sakura Wars is awesome especially Sakura Wars 1 to So Long My Love.The Columns spin-off game is great too.

Shame that the latest addition to the franchise is an Otome series similar to that Hakouki.RED Entertainment and its parent China-based company Ultizen somewhat joined the Otome Game craze like what Broccoli did.

There's a limited Dollfie Dream doll of Sakura Shinguji which was released a couple of months ago to commemorate the 15th Anniversary of the series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3