• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Full Moon licensed by Viz, vol 1 in June

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
championferret

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:50 am Reply with quote
Awww, looks like everyone beat me to the 'NOOOOOOOO WHAT IF THEY USE CRAPPY DUB SONGS INSTEAD OF MYCOOOOOOO'-ness. Damn. Wink
Anyway, I'm quite interested to know how well it sells, of course the manga has done well (and I would like to point out, as a I-hate-Viz's-english-manga-translation sort of person, that they're translation of the Full Moon manga, with the exception of the edited sound effects and the curious changing of Mitsuki's debut song 'Angel' to 'Ange', is absolutely fine) because, being a rabid Full Moon fangirl I know quite well that the Full Moon anime borders on....well, I dont want to say 'suckage', as it has plenty of its own merits, but anyone who expects it to follow the manga is in for a surprise. The main problem is the beginning is swamped in filler that generally gets the plot nowhere, and this is the first 4-5 dvds I'm talking about. I hope no one loses interest because of this and stops buying...in fact, that was the main reason I thought the Full Moon anime took so long to be licensed.
Whether the commercial release of Full Moon anime is bad or good, I wont be buying as I already own the import dvds. I'll be interested to know how it turns out, though.
JTtheBrick

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:25 am Reply with quote
Godaistudios wrote:

It may not be official, or they may not have worked out all the details - or it may not be licensed and somebody at the company jumped the gun thinking it was or it may only be optioned and not licensed yet, or....

It's really hard to say - we just have too little info to go on.

Love the username btw - listen to him on my way home from work. Smile

Ah, thanks for the info, I was thinking the news was a bit premature. And, I too enjoy The Brick Very Happy
Reeko

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:11 am Reply with quote
slickwataris wrote:
Reeko wrote:
No credit to me for telling? xD Oh well. Yay Full Moon!

There was a thread in the forum too. I thought we had moderators.

watch Nagisa delete this post just watch

Well I don't frequent the boards much, and no one I knew heard about it, so I figured I was one of the first to hear about it, so I reported it to the newsroom. D: Sorry.
Katsu Koneko

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:09 pm Reply with quote
*continues to cry* Why has Viz have to get Full Moon? I mean..look at what they did with Hikaru no Go. x.x I wuved that show..*continues to search for Fansubs* I really wanted Funi or ADV to get it. Well mostly Funi, since they dub the opening/closing songs of Anime like Yu Yu Hakusho for instance. I really wanted to hear the songs sung in English, but not only that, keep the Japanese one in the Japanese version.

Now...Eizou Hakusho is my last hope for Funi to licence. x.x

Mew...*goes back to crying at the lost of another favorite anime to VIZ*
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:03 am Reply with quote
Umm... why do you have to look for illegal fansubs of HnG if the subtitled version is on the DVD?
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Pepperidge wrote:
Umm... why do you have to look for illegal fansubs of HnG if the subtitled version is on the DVD?

I think Katsu is referring to the fact that HnG has no song subtitles, which I find disappointing as well. That decision is the reason why I'll wait and see if FMwS has them or not, because to me, that's a deal breaker. A series and story that is about singing and songs means those songs should be translated. It's too integral to the series to leave it raw.

Since Viz has made an active decision to not provide song subtitles, it's a reasonable expectation that FMwS will lack them as well. I choose not to buy a series that gets a half-assed translation, and if Viz leaves out the song subs for FMwS, it would mean exactly that.

edit: the above statements do NOT mean that fansubs are an acceptable alternative - I may choose a few options - I may keep the fansubs and buy Viz's releases anyway, or I may consider the actual expense of importing the R2 DVD's... or I may just destroy the fansubs and leave it at that. I won't make my decision until the product is actually out. (it's not like I distribute fansubs, so it's really just a personal decision affecting only myself.)

Last edited by Godaistudios on Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Pepperidge wrote:

Because not everyone is prim and proper and completely bound by ethical codes that never benefit themselves?
Katsu Koneko

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:19 am Reply with quote
Godaistudios wrote:
Pepperidge wrote:

I think Katsu is referring to the fact that HnG has no song subtitles, which I find disappointing as well. That decision is the reason why I'll wait and see if FMwS has them or not, because to me, that's a deal breaker. A series and story that is about singing and songs means those songs should be translated. It's too integral to the series to leave it raw.

Since Viz has made an active decision to not provide song subtitles, it's a reasonable expectation that FMwS will lack them as well. I choose not to buy a series that gets a half-assed translation, and if Viz leaves out the song subs for FMwS, it would mean exactly that.

edit: the above statements do NOT mean that fansubs are an acceptable alternative - I may choose a few options - I may keep the fansubs and buy Viz's releases anyway, or I may consider the actual expense of importing the R2 DVD's... or I may just destroy the fansubs and leave it at that. I won't make my decision until the product is actually out. (it's not like I distribute fansubs, so it's really just a personal decision affecting only myself.)

Yes that was what I was doing and I heard that fansubs are kind of better than company subs. *shrugs* I dunno..Grr I wish I had the money to buy the whole series.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 5:36 am Reply with quote
I wouldn't necessarily state that fansubs are better than company subs... while it's true that translators/editors/companies do make mistakes and/or bad choices in the finished product every once in awhile, the majority of commercial releases are better handled than the fansubbers. Many of the fansubs out there tend to be rush jobs put together by fans who have limited knowledge of Japanese. On the other hand, the professionals are usually better educated in Japanese language and culture and have access to more materials provided by the Japanese companies, thus providing the opportunity for a better product in the end.

That all said, if Viz doesn't bother to sub the songs, fansubs are better than no subs at all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Raimu-chan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:46 am Reply with quote
Asakomi wrote:
Well, beggars can't be choosers, really. It's better than nothing, imo.

A lot better then 4kids.

Meh, I'm not a big fan of ViZ myself. They'll probably only have three episodes per DVD. If that's so, someone would have to spend a lot of money if they want all of the DVDs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
jstrahan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:43 pm Reply with quote
One of only two anime that actually brought me to tears (the other being Mahoromatic). I can only hope that Viz does a good job. I will be buying it.
Little Miss Maria

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:12 pm Reply with quote
I love that they're doing this, but why'd they have to wait so long! I bought the series a in Japenese a while back expecting them not to dub it. I used up $42! Sad I wish I could have bought it in both English and Japenese. Oh well...
Sir_Brass

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:51 am Reply with quote
Hollerama wrote:
I saw this the other day and was excited! Full Moon wo Sagashite is one of my favorite series and I'm so happy it's licensed! (even though I've seen it). I really wonder how they're going to do it. Singing is so much a part of the show, so are they going to record English versions of the songs or are they just going to leave the singing in the original Japanese? If they do record it in English I hope they get a good singer for it (though they probably won't be as good as myco <3 )

Okay, so I'm late commenting on this, but I haven't been on here for a while, so please forgive.

In my opinion, they ought to leave the vocals as-is for the songs for the dub. Now, redoing the songs in english gets props for consistancy, but large points off for artistry. I saw Bandai do this for the Gundam SEED dub (was watching it because a friend of mine who can't follow subs and keep focused on the story to save his life wanted to see it), and though I gave them props for redoing Lacus' songs in english for the dub, I was turned off in that the vocalist and voice actress didn't match (didn't help that I didn't LIKE Lacus' english VA in the first place).

For FMwS, where music is an even BIGGER part of the story than it was in Gundam SEED, I think that it would be better if they just kept the songs in the original japanese, since it seems that they won't use the same person for Mitsuki's voice AND her songs, so stick with the original vocals, which are already goregous, and have subtitles. THis also has validity since the show is very much based in japan and around japanese culture, so keeping the songs in japanese (even though the dialogue will be in english for the dub) holds alot of validity and doesn't REALLY violate consistancy all that much considering the situation (and also considering that Mitsuki herself doesn't know english that well....will refrain from commenting further so as to not drop any spoilers).

This is just my opinion, though. I'll def. be getting the dvds, as I loved this series despite oh-so-wrong (not incorrect, rather the other meaning) age difference between Mitsuki and Ecchi.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3