• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Butler Cafe

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gauss

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:34 am Reply with quote
It's the forbidden fruit. Any kind of taboo is going to attract a fair share of, ah, interest. Anyways, that nun cafe sounds so incredibly absurd I just might go there if I ever visit Japan. I wouldn't be too surprised if they were dressed in black cheongsams.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:14 am Reply with quote
Buttlers, Maids, Nuns and Cats, oh my!

Next bunnies, elves, Lolita vampires and Cafe Dirty Pair

What do you think will be next?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Gauss wrote:
I wouldn't be too surprised if they were dressed in black cheongsams.

There is. Cafe Mai:lish has maids in cheongsams (thank you for teaching a native Chinese speaker that word in English! Laughing ) on special days, as well as men's dress, Halloween, and little sisters:

Thanks, Momoko-san.

And "yankees" (NOT the New York one):

Kyoto's first maid cafe, Cafe de Joule, has maids in camouflaged uniforms. It's located above a weapon models shop (with airsofts and such) and is "always ready to welcome exhausted warriors."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
domino

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:50 pm Reply with quote
These are always interesting. Heheh...

I wonder if these kinds of cafes hire foreigners? I wonder whether or not they find foreigners hurtful or helpful when they work at these kinds of cafes....
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:14 pm Reply with quote
The costumes for the cat cafe are adorable. I'd like to work there, just so I can wear that cute outfit! The “nuns” look more like pirates than anything, though.
astra

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:19 pm Reply with quote
So in Japan its legal to have age discrimination? If the girls pass the age of 29 do they get fired? Hmm.

Also, there was a girl on Something Awful who claimed to work in a maid cafe and had pictures. I'm gonna assume its true. Sounds interesting. Most foreigners tend to work in hostess bars, though.
Kidder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:50 pm Reply with quote
I'm thinking butler cafe staff would be more similar to the characters in the Ouran High School Host Club than Alfred from Batman Razz I wonder if they have several stereotypical personalities too Laughing

Nun cafe!?! freaky...

I loved the pic of the "Yankee" customes! >.< Yakuza serving tea and coffee!?!?! Laughing
mrgazpacho

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:55 am Reply with quote
astra wrote:
Most foreigners tend to work in hostess bars, though.

They definitely could use a pale-skinned, blond-haired gaijin to dress up as Sister Rosette from Chrono Crusade Smile
BorgmanJayce

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:03 am Reply with quote
I know where I'm definitely going to in Akihabara if I'm ever in Tokyo! *L*

Seriously though, the cafe with the nuns sounds really interesting and not a lot of people know this but Iori Nomizu who played the "Meganekko Otaku" in Densha Otoko TV actually works for the "Maid in Japan" cafe in Akihabara...

Meanwhile Cafe Mai:lish actually have a Meganekko day as well amongst other things which as a a Meganekko fan really intrigues me... Very Happy
Rasuberi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:33 pm Reply with quote
On the topic of 80+1, I'd go there any day. Androgynous women? I say yay. I've been preffering women to men lately anyways... and women pretending to be men would make me go ドキドキ.

On the topic of maid cafe's... I think the "Cafe with cat" Costume designs are hideous, I could design something a lot cuter than that, and for real life. I like their two color idea, and the top kiiind of, but the skirt needs help. I really have never liked the droopy gothy cheap effect those kinds of skirts give. I think I just realized my future, I will be designing moe waitress costumes. One dream of mine was to be a fashion designer anyways... 

And I saw someone mention most foreigners work at hostess bars instead... That's sure true. Though if I ever see a "cute" meido cafe I may just have to apply. I probably wont find any cute though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3