• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jason Thompson's House of 1000 Manga - Akira

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:42 pm Reply with quote
bravetailor wrote:
Both are great entertainment for their respective mediums. Anime Akira is basically a good old fashioned monster movie. Some mumbo jumbo science followed by a really pissed off monster teen tearing into the city, stuff blows up, and the monster is destroyed (or something!). The manga is more of a "real" science fiction story with a larger scope, though it's not like the manga Akira is all that "deep" either.

I'd actually argue Akira veers into fantasy, or into the region where fantasy and science fiction overlap in a sort of New Age worldview. It's very neat to read as a religious studies major, where it makes an intriguing look at pre-Aum Shinrikyo depiction of new religions in Japan... but I digress. Neither version is very deep, but I'd argue that the manga, with more time to do so, has a more coherent narrative with more memorable characters.

The anime, though, has one of the best soundtracks ever. I love that thing and listen to it constantly.
ptolemy18
Manga Reviewer/Creator/Taster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:46 pm Reply with quote
bravetailor wrote:
Both are great entertainment for their respective mediums. Anime Akira is basically a good old fashioned monster movie. Some mumbo jumbo science followed by a really pissed off monster teen tearing into the city, stuff blows up, and the monster is destroyed (or something!). The manga is more of a "real" science fiction story with a larger scope, though it's not like the manga Akira is all that "deep" either.

First and foremost, Akira is a slam bang action showcase unfurling one jaw dropping set piece after another, and both the anime and manga succeed wonderfully on those fronts.

What you said! Wink The anime works well as a monster movie, just because of the great action and the shocking imagery of destruction and transformation, even if the characters are a little shallower.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:14 am Reply with quote
I must thank you Mr. Thompson, it was the most enjoyable read I have had in a long while. You said it better than most, and I applaud you for that! Really!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zump

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Great article! It definitely put into perspective the degree to which Katsuhiro Otomo and Akira influenced manga and anime.

I still consider Akira to be one of the few anime that can be used to bring in more anime fans, provided they aren't confused by it's plot.

Just don't show the film at your high school's film society, otherwise the people there will think it's just a stupid action flick about Japanese biker gangs and storm angrily out of the room within the first three minutes. Wink
ptolemy18
Manga Reviewer/Creator/Taster

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Zump wrote:
Just don't show the film at your high school's film society, otherwise the people there will think it's just a stupid action flick about Japanese biker gangs and storm angrily out of the room within the first three minutes. Wink

Did this actually happen to you?! If so, that sucks!! -_-
Zump

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:17 pm Reply with quote
ptolemy18 wrote:
Zump wrote:

Did this actually happen to you?! If so, that sucks!! -_-

Yep. To be fair, only one of four people (myself included) left the room out of anger. Another person left because they had a doctor's appointment, so it was just one student and myself watching the movie. We made it as far as the scene where Kaneda confronts Tetsuo in the nursery. I had the option of finishing it up the following week, but I decided that it wasn't worth it. I shudder to think of how the guy who left would have reacted to a Miyazaki film! Sad

I probably would've been able to sympathize with him if he had actually sat through the movie and then expressed frustration over the film being "confusing", but since he left during the very first scene (which, let's face it, is one of the most adrenaline-pumping scenes in the film and is intended to set the tone for the film) before Joker (the leader of the clowns) even appeared on screen, I really can't. It's like walking out of Stanley Kubrick's The Shining after only two minutes because one thinks the whole film is going to an hour and a half of a car driving along a mountainside road.
Guilhem

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 7:36 am Reply with quote
timesteel wrote:
FaytLein wrote:

Any truth to the belief that Otomo was inspired from Tetsujin 28 when he was writing Akira? I mean, Akira being the Number 28 psychic, Kaneda and Tetsuo's last names (I think Col. Shikishima might be related to this as well) or is it all a big coincidence? Inquiring minds want to know!

there is a connection it's technically an alternate retelling of tetsujin 28 here's the proof
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIZZoHF8VmQ

Many thanks for this link: I looked for something like that since a long while... Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DTJB

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Still a great manga after all these years. Oddly enough, I find the moments between Tetsuo and Kaori to be some of the best.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3