• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Boogie-Woogie Pop

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mysticmidnightmaiden

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:42 pm Reply with quote
... Wow. I didn't know that reviews were THAT influencing upon people. PantsGoblin, I know (by reading your posts) that GA is your favorite (or at least one of your favorite) series. What I don't understand is why you have the need to protest this lowly manga review. It's... a bit obsesively protective. Just because someone doesn't agree with the norm doesn't give you the right to basically say "This review is crap. Look at what the majority says" (which I know you didn't say, but it was implied from your actions). Just because something is "big in Japan" doesn't mean that it will be as popular or have a larger following in America. I (a female) love moe shows, but GA wasn't my cup of tea. I have seen all of the anime and read all of the manga (in Japanese). It wasn't something I would pay for (I borrowed it from a friend), but it was mildly entertaining. Now, how many people base what manga they will buy off of RTO's manga reviews? 20? 100? I don't think the number of people slightly influenced by the review will affect the sales of the manga. In fact, they many just buy/read it just to see "how bad it is" (Good old reverse psychology...). They may get hooked, they may not.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that opinions are just opinions. People have their likes and dislikes, but you have no right to try to blatently oppose someone else's by using "the majority" as a blanket.
Cloe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:16 pm Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
I find it odd how you always complain about people complaining. I actually find you more annoying then the actual complainer most of the time. I've never seen you solve anything by doing it either.

I find it very rich for you to call out darkhunter when you've filled this entire thread with tiresome, juvenile posts yourself. Nice. You can act all innocent and play the whole "You're all just not listening to my original point!" game all you like, but reading your first post I found it pretty clear that you took the stance of "I can't believe you dissed my show and you're wrong and I'm right and people on the internet agree with me so listen to me instead of the review!" No offense, but I think people who are drawn to titles like GA would be able to tell for themselves whether or not they would like it from Carlo's review without your help. They were probably immediately interested after reading "Gosh, those Galaxy Angel girls sure are cute!" So what other point could you possibly have than to simply throw a fit? I try to be as patient and respectful as possible with everyone on this forum, but throwing around insults (for people's actions that have nothing to do with this thread, no less) just because you're frustrated is uncalled for. I apologize to other contributors to this thread for dragging out this mess. I'm done.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
PantsGoblin wrote:

All of my friends who I have forced to see Galaxy Angel liked it also.
Did you later ask them after their release? You might have got a different opinion.

Just to provide a counterpoint to that, I've had a few series that I forced a friend of mine who is a casual anime fan to watch because I knew he would like them. A few he really hooked onto and wasn't just saying that to get me to shut up, like GetBackers, InuYasha (at the time), and Yu Yu Hakusho. (However, he totally rejected FLCL, and is pretty vocal about that anytime I bring it up...)

Is it just me, or has there been a lot of this back and forth between reviewers and readers about a review? It seems that every time some anime or manga is panned (or even not given a B+ or higher), there is some person who will jump up and proclaim it their favorite series and accuse the reviewer of being biased. Then, it will devolve into a back-and-forth with lots of "clarifications" on the reader's part and lots of "you're still crazy" on the reviewer's part. Also, Zac will be involved somewhere. (Just pointing out that it's been a bit of a problem lately, and I'm certainly not blaming Zac for any of it, simply noting his presence.)
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:06 am Reply with quote
You know, I didn't really mind darkhunter's post since it was typical of him. I was offended by Cloe's post. You have you been the Nth person to acuse me of things I have not said. True, my first post was a bit, as you call "juvenile", but I cleaned up my act in my later posts. I was just, as I said, "pissed off" at first. But that only lasted for a little bit. I honestly haven't been trying to act like an a$$ hole. And the only reason I'm responding in this way right now is because you haven't exactly responded to me nicely either.

Cloe wrote:
I find it very rich for you to call out darkhunter when you've filled this entire thread with tiresome, juvenile posts yourself. Nice.

Yes, I admit to arguing a lot in this thread. I don't think I did it in a "juvenile" way though. The thing is, I rarely ever complain. And this is what? The 500th time darkhunter has done it? I'll reply to you in the same way. Nice.

Cloe wrote:
You can act all innocent and play the whole "You're all just not listening to my original point!" game all you like, but reading your first post I found it pretty clear that you took the stance of "I can't believe you dissed my show and you're wrong and I'm right and people on the internet agree with me so listen to me instead of the review!"

Way to go at putting words in my mouth. And people have done it so much on this thread I don't even feel angry, just disappointed. I think Zac has been the only one to understood what I've been trying to say. I'm just going to give up now since most people just aren't getting it.

Cloe wrote:
No offense, but I think people who are drawn to titles like GA would be able to tell for themselves whether or not they would like it from Carlo's review without your help. They were probably immediately interested after reading "Gosh, those Galaxy Angel girls sure are cute!" So what other point could you possibly have than to simply throw a fit?

No, not necessarily. I said before my friends who didn't think that they'd like GA at all and were reluctant to to watch it actually did like it when they saw it. If you really don't believe me I can get one of my friends to post here and say that he liked GA (he's already registered and has been posting for a while). I don't think I'm throwing a fit though. Except for debatably the first post, none of mine have sounded like that at all. If you really interpret them to be "fits", I really don't see how your post sounds any better then.

Cloe wrote:
I try to be as patient and respectful as possible with everyone on this forum, but throwing around insults (for people's actions that have nothing to do with this thread, no less) just because you're frustrated is uncalled for.

I assume you're refering my response to darkhunter. Was that really an insult? I don't recall insulting him. I was asking a question. There were no insults in the post at all. I could have called him a hypocrite if I wanted to, but I didn't. I purposely tried not to insult him at all in that post. I called him "annoying". I didn't really consider that an insult though. I guess it can be interpreted as one but I honestly didn't think it was that bad.

Cloe wrote:
I apologize to other contributors to this thread for dragging out this mess. I'm done.

You come. You state false facts about me. And you leave. Really, you've disappointed me in this post. Even after I listen to you, I highly doubt you're going to respond or listen to me though. If you do though, try to do it in a little more polite way and get the facts right next time, ok?

Mysticmidnightmaiden wrote:
... Wow. I didn't know that reviews were THAT influencing upon people. PantsGoblin, I know (by reading your posts) that GA is your favorite (or at least one of your favorite) series. What I don't understand is why you have the need to protest this lowly manga review. It's... a bit obsesively protective. Just because someone doesn't agree with the norm doesn't give you the right to basically say "This review is crap. Look at what the majority says" (which I know you didn't say, but it was implied from your actions). Just because something is "big in Japan" doesn't mean that it will be as popular or have a larger following in America. I (a female) love moe shows, but GA wasn't my cup of tea. I have seen all of the anime and read all of the manga (in Japanese). It wasn't something I would pay for (I borrowed it from a friend), but it was mildly entertaining. Now, how many people base what manga they will buy off of RTO's manga reviews? 20? 100? I don't think the number of people slightly influenced by the review will affect the sales of the manga. In fact, they many just buy/read it just to see "how bad it is" (Good old reverse psychology...). They may get hooked, they may not.

Now these are the kind of posts I'm looking to respond. I really don't see any reason why you couldn't have responded like this, Cloe.

I don't think the review will have that great of an effect. I wasn't intending for SO many people to respond to what I said. It just looks a lot bigger then it actually is. But now we've already started flaming. I'd like it if some moderator can come and stop it (hint hint), but I'm certainly not going to after so many people have accused me of saying things I haven't said. I'm definately not going to let that get by without responding. Especially when many of these false accusations have been by veteran members of ANN.

Mysticmidnightmaiden wrote:
I guess what I'm trying to say is that opinions are just opinions. People have their likes and dislikes, but you have no right to try to blatently oppose someone else's by using "the majority" as a blanket.

Getting a little off here. I didn't acutally oppose of his review. I've said before that he's entitled to his own opinion. I disagreed with his opinion. Opposing, or otherwise seeing his opinion as "wrong" is a completely different thing then just disagreeing with him. I don't see why I can't disagree with him or use the "majority" as a way to strengthen my viewpoint though.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:37 am Reply with quote
Wow, this pissing match is out of hand. I really don't want to get involved or start making accusations about people's characters here, but PantsGoblin, how about telling people WHY you think Galaxy Angel is great? You've typed a whole lot about it being popular, about Carlo's review having no grounds to critique the series, and defending yourself (which is understandable), yet you've given us not a single reason to look into Galaxy Angel other than tons of people love it. Saying "It's popular" isn't convincing anyone to second guess a well respected reviews opinion (I'm not exacally crazy about two of those sites you linked since they'll give anything a B if it's from Japan).
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:16 am Reply with quote
Kagemusha wrote:
how about telling people WHY you think Galaxy Angel is great?

Well, while I am crazy about GA, I won't blindly give something a masterpiece rating when it doesn't deserve one. I thought GA was good. I gave it a "very good" rating in "My Anime". I don't think GA is crap either though. Basically, it's a pretty funny show that I really enjoy watching and love the characters as well as the seiyuu. IMO, GA is different from other anime comedies. People seem to always say how GA is so cliched and all, I don't see any of that in it. GA was one of the earlier "cute" animes with "random" elements in it and because it was released rather late in the US, it just seemed to be more cliched then it actually was. Still, GA stands out to me even after that. The feeling of the anime was unlike any of the other comedies I saw before it. The majority of the jokes in the show (especially in the later seasons) I haven't ever seen used in any other anime. The plot of the show never really goes anywhere either so it can be watched in any order. Even stuff like Excel Saga I think should be watched in order. Sometimes the show will start in abstract ways and nothing will really be that clear until the episode is over. Often times it never even fully explains what has happened. I just really liked how it did that. I really didn't think it was that cliched and thought it was actually kind of unique (I've never seen most of this stuff done in anime at least). Many of the side items surrounding the GA franchise has caught my interest too. I really enjoy the music in GA and often listen to the character song CD's that have come out. I also buy a whole bunch of other merchindise, but they're mainly for hardcore fans like me and wouldn't really appeal to the casual fan so I don't really need to go into that much detail. The video game (which most people think to be the "true" universe of GA) is supposed to come out in the US this summer... I'm hoping they will do it becuase it's unlike any of the GA the US has been exposed to. Unfortunely, I doubt it's going to attract many more fans then there already is. But I still look forward to it.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:14 am Reply with quote
Good, understandable reasons why you like the anime, but not the manga. Please, please, please tell me you have read the manga and this whole mess wasn't pointless...
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Kagemusha wrote:
Good, understandable reasons why you like the anime, but not the manga. Please, please, please tell me you have read the manga and this whole mess wasn't pointless...

I've read some of the manga. The first two books of the original actually. But, after reading this review, I specifically read some of this volume he reviewed to see if this particular volume was any lower quality then the others. It seemed fine to me, I enjoyed it. From what I've read of the manga, it's a bit different from the anime. It does have a storyline it follows usually and doesn't come out with as many random things as the anime does. Different characters too, with some characters from the anime not appearing in the manga and vice versa. I do like the anime better though, but just by a little bit. The manga is kind of a mix between the games and the anime. I don't think the manga was anywhere near "D+" material.
Cloe

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Nice try, PantsGoblin, but:

PantsGoblin wrote:
You have you been the Nth person to acuse me of things I have not said... Way to go at putting words in my mouth. And people have done it so much on this thread I don't even feel angry, just disappointed.

So you claim you never said Carlo's review was wrong. Let's re-visit the your first post, shall we?

PantsGoblin wrote:
Yes, I do think you have a bias against Galaxy Angel, very much so.

bias - An unfair act or policy stemming from prejudice. Synonyms of biased: crooked, shameless, narrow, wrong

I'm tired of you saying "Don't put words in my mouth" and clearly denying you ever said anything wrong. Not only that, but you yourself falsely accused everyone here who attempted to call you on it. That rubbed me the wrong way more than anything. If you REALLY meant never to create any animosity, you would have taken more care in your choice of words.

Oh, and also:

PantsGoblin wrote:
I assume you're refering my response to darkhunter. Was that really an insult? I don't recall insulting him.

Really? Let's take a look.

PantsGoblin wrote:
I actually find you more annoying then the actual complainer most of the time.

Note: You didn't say his posts were annoying. Or that his complaints were annoying. It was "you are annoying." You're going to have a lot of trouble convincing me that's not an insult. Now quit lying to yourself and to the rest of us.

At any rate, I hold no personal grudges against you and am quite astonished at the level of hostility in your reply. Especially now that I've proven my complaints were valid.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
darkhunter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:05 pm Reply with quote
edit: after talking to Nagisa, I will post a less harsh response that is rated PG.

PantsGoblin wrote:

I find it odd how you always complain about people complaining. I actually find you more annoying then the actual complainer most of the time. I've never seen you solve anything by doing it either. And honestly, this is the first time I have ever had a complaint about the way ANN reviews. I'm not some kind of frequent complainer. I see you complaining about complainers all the time though. So what's your reason for this?

Talk about hypocrite. You state that you hate people exaggerating and putting false claim about you, yet you do the same thing. Oh yeah, 500 of my post complaining about other people complaining. Rolling Eyes. If you have a personal problem with me, PM and let me know it.

You find me annoying telling people to to please stop complaining? I think many people here find your "thread-crapping" pretty annoying as well. Can you respect Carlos review without putting other people's review in his thead. That's just a lack of respect for the original poster. Why do I complain and tell people to stop it? It's annoying to me that you have to thread crap on Carlos's review thread. If you find me telling you to stop complaining and move on as annoying, than you should definitely look in the mirror and look at yourself. Even if it's your first time at "complaining" it doesn't make it right as the next guy.

Last edited by darkhunter on Sat Mar 25, 2006 3:30 am; edited 8 times in total
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
Nice try, PantsGoblin, but:

PantsGoblin wrote:
You have you been the Nth person to acuse me of things I have not said... Way to go at putting words in my mouth. And people have done it so much on this thread I don't even feel angry, just disappointed.

So you claim you never said Carlo's review was wrong. Let's re-visit the your first post, shall we?

PantsGoblin wrote:
Yes, I do think you have a bias against Galaxy Angel, very much so.

bias - An unfair act or policy stemming from prejudice. Synonyms of biased: crooked, shameless, narrow, wrong

I'm tired of you saying "Don't put words in my mouth" and clearly denying you ever said anything wrong. Not only that, but you yourself falsely accused everyone here who attempted to call you on it. That rubbed me the wrong way more than anything. If you REALLY meant never to create any animosity, you would have taken more care in your choice of words.

My intent wasn't to call him "wrong" in that post. I've always considered a "bias" to be a dislike for something for personal reasons stemming from another source. Maybe I did use the wrong word, but I got D's in English, what can I say?

Cloe wrote:
Oh, and also:

PantsGoblin wrote:
I assume you're refering my response to darkhunter. Was that really an insult? I don't recall insulting him.

Really? Let's take a look.

PantsGoblin wrote:
I actually find you more annoying then the actual complainer most of the time.

Note: You didn't say his posts were annoying. Or that his complaints were annoying. It was "you are annoying." You're going to have a lot of trouble convincing me that's not an insult. Now quit lying to yourself and to the rest of us.

I already admited to that.

PantsGoblin wrote:
I called him "annoying". I didn't really consider that an insult though. I guess it can be interpreted as one but I honestly didn't think it was that bad.

Basically, most of what I said I didn't intend to to be taken as you did. So, I'll apologize to you for that. Maybe I should go back to school...

darkhunter wrote:
*not very nice stuff*

Well, uh, that wasn't very nice. I never took anywhere near these low of blows as these. You're taking my personal life into this too. Do you feel this way about the rest of the moe community here or is it just me?

And Cloe, if you're still defending darkhunter, you're respect points are almost down to zero.

Last edited by PantsGoblin on Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
redcomet15

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:28 pm Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
Harsh words.

My goodness... I've been watching this discussion for awhile now, and PantsGoblin, despite passionately debating Carlo's review, has managed to keep things clean and civil while making valid points.

So what's with the smack-talk all of a sudden? You didn't bring anything to the table except a heaping helping of insults. I think you may have just crossed the line from friendly debate to all-out flame war...
Cloe

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:35 pm Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
And Cloe, if you're still defending darkhunter, you're respect points are almost down to zero.

No, that was over the top. I appreciate you pre-judging my character, though. Thanks a lot. What on Earth possessed you to write that in the first place, anyway? For the record, I never did any "defending" here. I think my stance was on the offense the entire time.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
No, that was over the top. I appreciate you pre-judging my character, though. Thanks a lot. What on Earth possessed you to write that in the first place, anyway?

Well, you seemed to be taking his side before. Often times in arguements like these people will take one's side regardless of what they say. So, I guess you aren't, but how was I supposed to know?

Last edited by PantsGoblin on Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cloe

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:48 pm Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
Well, you were taking his side before.

I wasn't taking his side. I was simply taking the side of the person you threw out a random insult to. It could have been any member of this forum and my reply would have been exactly the same.

PantsGoblin wrote:
Often times in arguements like these people will take one's side regardless of what they say. So, I guess you aren't, but how was I supposed to know?

Because I'd hoped I have spent enough time on this forum for people to know I'm not a person to abandon rationality for argument's sake. Anyway, presumptions are bad things and I advise you not to make them often. I don't dislike you, but a remark like the one you made questioning my character was a little hurtful.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4