• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: American Idol's Blake Lewis Dubs English Durarara

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PBsallad

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Mushi-Man wrote:
I don't watch American Idol so I have no idea who this person is... I guess as long as he's good at acting then I wont really care. But I don't see why you would assume that if they can sing then they can act, they don't correspond that much. I just hope he has enough skill to prop up a bit roll.

From a few interviews I've heard on podcasts and of con videos on YouTube, there is some correlation. When you sing you have to listen to the tone and pitch and other things going on in your voice. The same thing can apply to voice acting.

Lizzie_B wrote:
michelous wrote:
as a singer he should be a good voice actor

Of course. I mean look at Vic Mignogna & Johnny Young Bosch(even though they started as voice actors)

I think Vic might have been a singer before doing voice work, could be wrong though. I don't know about Johnny.
tsunayakuin

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 9:07 pm Reply with quote
It was going to take a long time for me to watch durarara but I won't bother if this american idol f**k is going to have a voice in it.
Key

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 9:42 pm Reply with quote
tsunayakuin wrote:
It was going to take a long time for me to watch durarara but I won't bother if this american idol f**k is going to have a voice in it.

First, watch the language in forums.

Second, why should it matter? I have heard his performance in the dubbed episode in question and thought it was good enough that it didn't weight down what is, overall, a pretty strong dub. Really, his dubbing voice doesn't sound any different from a typical dubbing performance by regulars and you wouldn't know that it was done by anyone special if you weren't told so in advance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 10:02 pm Reply with quote
PBsallad wrote:
From a few interviews I've heard on podcasts and of con videos on YouTube, there is some correlation. When you sing you have to listen to the tone and pitch and other things going on in your voice. The same thing can apply to voice acting.

That's vocal control - something that qualifies anyone who works in radio even to qualify as a voice actor (it basically is the skill on how to control your voice with a mic, and knowing what you sound like at different levels), but it still doesn't mean a person can act, just like it doesn't mean any DJ or talk show personality you hear on the radio can sing. Putting emotion into voice has nothing to do with actual acting - which is required for a good voice actor.

Vocal control however is a basic skill that's pretty much a part of any actor's education.
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 10:50 pm Reply with quote
And I thought non-anime VAs getting their first anime role was strange enough. First it was Ali Hilis (voice of Lightning from FF13 and Liara T'soni from Mass Effect), Nolan North (voice of Nathan Drake from Uncharted, Desmond Miles from Assassin's Creed, and Deadpool), and Reno Wilson (Sazh from FF13) to voice characters in Naruto. Now an American idol contestant to voice a character in Durarara. Shocked

oh great, what's next:

Jon St. John (voice of Duke Nukem) get his first anime voice work at Funimation.

Mark Meer (voice of Commander Sheperd from Mass Effect) get a voice acting job at Ocean Group in Vancouver and end up getting his first anime role.

Funimation announce they got Sailor Moon and announce Jansen Ackle will be voicing Tuxedo Mask/Mamoru Chiba.

How could anime dubbing get more interesting?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 5:52 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Jon St. John (voice of Duke Nukem) get his first anime voice work at Funimation.

If memory serves me correctly, I remember reading at a panel of G4TV's feedback podcast at PAX I think where Jon St. John was a guest and he doesn't seem to be a fan of anime. I think he eyerolled and groaned as he mentioned how fans at "anime furry conventions" (I might be paraphrasing) would only ask him for lines as Big the Cat from Sonic Adventure.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3