• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Chibi Vampire GN 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FeralKat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:14 am Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
Purist might want to consider learning Japanese to read it in its truest form.

Which is what I did, instead of trying to shove my ideals on other people. Now I don't get ulcers over SFX changes and everyone's happy! Very Happy
championferret

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:57 am Reply with quote
Quote:

It's pretty standard forum practice here to highlight the name of another forumite when speaking directly to them in a post. I wasn't trying to "rub it in," as you put it.

Right, sorry about that. Just ignore it.

Quote:
Anyway:
Fine then, keep your view and I'll keep mine, but I only wonder why if people can get used to reading manga 'backwards' then there shouldnt be anything wrong with the sound effects, it's part of the cultural integrity and all, much like name monikers etc.

Quote:
Not the same issue, since the forward/backward thing doesn't affect the translation in any way. That's about like saying "there shouldn't be anything wrong with signs/on-screen text not being translated" in an anime.

...I really dont understand what you're getting at at all here, so I might just leave it be. Personally I believe the flipping of artwork does affect translation, the art was drawn to flow in that specific direction, reversing often revals 'otherwise unnoticeable flaws in the art, pretty much everything they write in the 'STOP! THIS IS THE BACK OF THE BOOK!' page in most english manga. But enough of that...
Quote:
Purist might want to consider learning Japanese to read it in its truest form.

People are usually quick to say this, but few stop to realize exactly *how* long it takes to learn a language sufficiently enough to be able to read something without any aid. I have been learning japanese for 3 and a half years now, and collect my manga in both english and japanese. This is because, although I can read the text just fine, I cant always understand everything that's going on. Therefore, when I want to buy a series in japanese I make sure that it's also being translated/scanlated, get said documents and read them together with the japanese manga. (On this note, manga has been exceptionally helpful in learning new vocab, because among other things my course only teaches the very formal way of speaking, rather than the more colloquial). Of course if no such translations/scanlations exist, I'll either have to try very hard to read it myself (something I can admittedly only do with 'simple' manga, such as your average nakayoshi romance) or just settle for an english release.
I like my sound effects the way the artist drew them, so I get a little irritated when these are changed and it's in one of those series I now have to buy the english release of.
To wrap up, I think the quality of a translation depends on how true to the original it is. I do not think that untouched sound effects should subtract any points from the quality of a translation, in fact I believe the opposite is true. To me DelRey and Brocolli Books represent the pincale of 'true to the original' translators, Tokyopop and ADV are a mixed bag and I'd rather not go into VIZ.

And since the discussion is getting increasingly offtopic, I'd like to end on my thoughts for the subject itself:

I first saw the name 'Chibi Vampire' on the tokyopop site and suspected another OEL title, and a bad one. (Come on, 'it's about vampires' doesnt necessarily ring 'original!') But, as said, it is a title that catches your attention, and I did click on it.
I haven't read this title yet but after reading the review will probably give it a shot, I love the look of the art and it sounds like a quirky and fun read. I actually considered buying it for my younger sister's birthday...until I remembered that she faints at the sight of blood. Most blood in manga and anime doesnt peturb her too much, but she has now told me the mere talk of the 'donating of blood' makes her queasy. (A little odd coming from someone who watched all of Wolf's Rain's most gruesome scenes without flinching, but eh)
Key

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:19 am Reply with quote
Just some follow-up commentary on the anime adaptation of this title (still called Karin for those who want to look it up):

Got to see the first few episodes earlier today. The anime, though it has a sort of light-hearted feel to it, seems to take itself much more seriously than the manga did; I think it'd be a stretch to call it a true romantic comedy so far, and they even joke about that in one episode. Character designs are kinda funky, too. Still, it covers the same ground as the first manga volume (the first two episodes are basically just a condensed version of the first tankoubon) so those who liked the manga are probably going to like the anime, too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
crimsonsplat

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 1:50 pm Reply with quote
More followup on the anime: I've seen through episode 22, and my angst-breaker finally tripped at that point. It is pretty fun and flippant until spoiler[Winner's grandfather shows up intending to kill all the Makaa clan], and at that point all the conflicts that have been slowly building over the prior 20 episodes come smashing down at once.

I felt a bit gypped*; I'd thought I was getting a romance/comedy/fanservice series with a twist on the old horror story, sort of a sexy Addams Family, if you will. Instead it turned into a shoujo tearjerker romance. If the anime is faithful to the G. novel, then be warned, the novel will turn on you if you're thinking the same that I was.

*not in the financial sense, obviously.

(Edited for clarity. Dang pronoun references...)
Key

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 4:44 pm Reply with quote
I've now seen the series up until the point where spoiler[that idiotic vampire hunter is introduced]. Until that point the series is, on balance, more of a semi-serious drama than a comedy, so it taking a tearjerker turn later on wouldn't surprise me. That's common enough even in full-blown romantic comedies.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I've now seen the series up until the point where spoiler[that idiotic vampire hunter is introduced]. Until that point the series is, on balance, more of a semi-serious drama than a comedy, so it taking a tearjerker turn later on wouldn't surprise me. That's common enough even in full-blown romantic comedies.

It wasn't until spoiler[that idiotic vampire showed up at the airport] that I finally started enjoying the series (the manga revisit of the early stories was enjoyable though), and the final story has only made me enjoy the series more.

Since J.C. Staff tends to give their anime fairly solid endings whether there is one for the source yet or not, I wouldn't be surprised if the final story in the anime isn't in the manga at all, but I still expect the manga to make a similar journey at some point.
biliano

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 6:55 pm Reply with quote
I got a chance to watch the first 5 episodes of Karin yesterday at Harucon and I instantly fell in love with this series. It does have a good mix of comedy and school romance, and the animation looks like a cross between Maburaho and Spiral, two other J.C. Staff titles that I like. What made Karin Maaka more likable (outside of her cute demanor and klutzy behavior) was the excellent performance of Sayuri Yahagi. I thought she captured all of Karin's emotions perfectly, and for someone who doesn't follow Japanese voice acting that closely, it was a performance that was wonderful to listen to. The other seiyuus accompanied Yahagi-sama's performance very well, and it was great that they cast veterans to help support Yahagi-sama. I'm definitely looking forward to any future performances by Yahagi-sama; she most certainly has the makings of being a major star in the voice acting business.
wings of words

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 1:33 am Reply with quote
Yuna Kagesaki's a girl, not a guy. The review states that she's a guy.
Key

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 9:43 am Reply with quote
You're sure?

I wasn't sure about that and couldn't tell from the self-portrait or any other information I could find, so I took my best guess.

If confirmed, I'll change that.
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 1:15 pm Reply with quote
crimsonsplat wrote:
More followup on the anime: I've seen through episode 22, and my angst-breaker finally tripped at that point. It is pretty fun and flippant until spoiler[Winner's grandfather shows up intending to kill all the Makaa clan], and at that point all the conflicts that have been slowly building over the prior 20 episodes come smashing down at once.

I felt a bit gypped*; I'd thought I was getting a romance/comedy/fanservice series with a twist on the old horror story, sort of a sexy Addams Family, if you will. Instead it turned into a shoujo tearjerker romance. If the anime is faithful to the G. novel, then be warned, the novel will turn on you if you're thinking the same that I was.

*not in the financial sense, obviously.

(Edited for clarity. Dang pronoun references...)

The manga and anime diverge at the end of episode eather episode 17 or 19 if I remember correctly. Volume 8 of the manga just came out in Japan as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3