• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Toonami Rides Jetstream to Early Arrival

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Riyousha

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:05 am Reply with quote
I know. There was a thread about that. I was very surprised that it came out early. It's like Christmas came early this year. I just finished watch the 1st episodes of Hikaru No. Go and MAR. Today I'll go there and watch the 1st episode of Prince of Tennis.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Super Ska Master

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:22 am Reply with quote
Wait..So are Hikaru No Go and Prince of Tennis going to be on Toonami now? That's hardcore!
Nionel

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:31 am Reply with quote
Super Ska Master wrote:
Wait..So are Hikaru No Go and Prince of Tennis going to be on Toonami now? That's hardcore!

Well, according to the Jetstream panel at AX, Toonami has said that HnG, and Mar for that matter, will be only on the Jetsteam and they currently have no plans to broadcast them on TV.

Prince of Tennis is possible, but I'm guessing that it'll depend on how well the show does and Jetsteam and how good DVD sales are once they're released.
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:51 am Reply with quote
Nionel wrote:
Prince of Tennis is possible, but I'm guessing that it'll depend on how well the show does and Jetsteam and how good DVD sales are once they're released.

Was there any information on the DVDs? Like dates or packaging? I would assume they'd be bilingual as the Jetstream version was unedited to the best of my recollection.
SnowStar_7*

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Hi, does anyone know why the site would not work in a public library? It has highspeed conection yet when I press enter their is a little red box that is on the top left hand corner.

Oh, I wonder how Viz will release Prince of tennis I wonder what the long-time fans are saying about the dub. Really that's the only reason I want the site to work.
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Does the library computer have Flash installed?
SnowStar_7*

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:17 pm Reply with quote
I was thinking it could be something like that. I think it does not, and perhaps it only lets administrators install things since it only serves for Internet purposes, but thanks I'll try do you know the exact site to get it?
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:23 pm Reply with quote
This should do it for you.
SnowStar_7*

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Thank you.
Josh7289

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:48 pm Reply with quote
I just watched the first episodes of Hikaru no Go, MAR, and The Prince of Tennis, and below are my impressions. Remember, I've never seen the Japanese versions of any of these shows, and I've only read the manga of Hikaru no Go up until the latest chapter in the US Shonen Jump. I've already seen the first episode of Hikaru no Go on a preview disc in a US Shonen Jump issue, but I will still go over it here.

Hikaru no Go - Wow, what a great way to ruin a show. I absolutely love the manga of Hikaru no Go, but this is one of the worst dubs I have ever seen. The two main characters, Hikaru and Akira, have completely incorrect voices. Hikaru should be much higher and Akira...I don't know what to say about him...Just listen and cringe. I'm glad they left in the excellent original opening and ending, but that does not make up for the terrible dub. And what happened to Sai? Who decided to give him that kind of crap voice? I can't watch this dub any more. If a box set is released, I'll buy that and watch it in Japanese.

MAR - This show just plain sucks. The dub was not as bad as Hikaru no Go, but the main character's voice (which is also Hikaru's, I believe), is simply too annoying to bear for an entire series. Not only that, but all the music was changed in the series, including the opening and ending. The entire premise of the show could only appeal to 10 year olds, so this is one I will not be watching.

The Prince of Tennis - I had high hopes for this one, after reading the previews in the US Shonen Jump and coming out of them with a general liking of the manga, but this dub, again, let me down. Ryoma's voice isn't too bad, but that girl. I don't know her name, but if she is a main character, I feel sorry for this dub. Not only that, but her grandma's voice makes her sound 30. The crappy new opening and ending doesn't help this dub, either. I can't see myself watching this dub anymore -- it's about the same quality as MAR, which is like it's from somewhere around the original Dragon Ball Z dub's timeframe -- but I'd like to give the sub a try. I don't like sports, but I want to see if I can be genuinely interested in sports anime/manga, so I may buy the DVD(s) when it/they is/are released, assuming they have the sub track.

As for Naruto, I already watch it on Toonami and own the first uncut box set, so I'm good.

After first seeing the Naruto dub on Toonami last year, and after first seeing the Naruto sub on the DVDs this year, I had confidence that Viz would produce a competent dub for Bleach (which I have not seen the sub of, either), but now I have serious doubts. If this is (possibly) the best Viz can do, then I guess they just got lucky with Naruto (and InuYasha for that matter). If the dub of Bleach turns out anything like that of Hikaru no Go, MAR, or The Prince of Tennis, you can count me out of watching it on [adult swim] later this year.
hikaru393

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:05 pm Reply with quote
the prince of tennis dub isnt to bad but they completly changed sakuno around she's supposed to be shy and afraid to speak in the dub she's always speaking and not shy at all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Josh7289

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:06 pm Reply with quote
hikaru393 wrote:
the prince of tennis dub isnt to bad but they completly changed sakuno around she's supposed to be shy and afraid to speak in the dub she's always speaking and not shy at all.

Is she that little girl? Man, her voice is awful. She doesn't sound like a realistic girl at all. It's definitely cringe-worthy.
hikaru393

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Josh7289 wrote:
hikaru393 wrote:

Is she that little girl? Man, her voice is awful. She doesn't sound like a realistic girl at all. It's definitely cringe-worthy.
yeah that's her with the long pig-tails.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kuni_kuni

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Josh7289 wrote:
I just watched the first episodes of Hikaru no Go, MAR, and The Prince of Tennis, and below are my impressions. Remember, I've never seen the Japanese versions of any of these shows, and I've only read the manga of Hikaru no Go up until the latest chapter in the US Shonen Jump. I've already seen the first episode of Hikaru no Go on a preview disc in a US Shonen Jump issue, but I will still go over it here.

Hikaru no Go - Wow, what a great way to ruin a show. I absolutely love the manga of Hikaru no Go, but this is one of the worst dubs I have ever seen. The two main characters, Hikaru and Akira, have completely incorrect voices. Hikaru should be much higher and Akira...I don't know what to say about him...Just listen and cringe. I'm glad they left in the excellent original opening and ending, but that does not make up for the terrible dub. And what happened to Sai? Who decided to give him that kind of crap voice? I can't watch this dub any more. If a box set is released, I'll buy that and watch it in Japanese.

The Prince of Tennis - I had high hopes for this one, after reading the previews in the US Shonen Jump and coming out of them with a general liking of the manga, but this dub, again, let me down. Ryoma's voice isn't too bad, but that girl. I don't know her name, but if she is a main character, I feel sorry for this dub. Not only that, but her grandma's voice makes her sound 30. The crappy new opening and ending doesn't help this dub, either. I can't see myself watching this dub anymore -- it's about the same quality as MAR, which is like it's from somewhere around the original Dragon Ball Z dub's timeframe -- but I'd like to give the sub a try. I don't like sports, but I want to see if I can be genuinely interested in sports anime/manga, so I may buy the DVD(s) when it/they is/are released, assuming they have the sub track.

The Hikaru no Go dub is easily one of the worst dubs I've ever seen. But, as you said, I'm probably going to buy the DVDs anyway, just because I want the Japanese track. As for Prince of Tennis, I strongly suggest that you go to YouTube and watch it there (I know for sure they have episode 1). I mean, I'm going to continue to watch it on Jetstream, just so they know people are indeed watching it (I want a DVD release), but, as of now, the dub is not to be taken seriously. Anime hyper I really hope they improve on PoT...they've already ruined Hikaru no Go, so I'd rather that they not ruin one of my other favorite shows. If the Bleach dub is anything like these two, I think a boycott of Viz is in order.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Josh7289 wrote:

If the dub of Bleach turns out anything like that of Hikaru no Go, MAR, or The Prince of Tennis, you can count me out of watching it on [adult swim] later this year.

Man, you people jump to conclusions and are awfully reactionary to things like this.

Viz obviously spends a lot more time and money on shows like Naruto and Bleach. The Jetstream stuff is done on the cheap. Do you honestly think Viz is dumping as much money into an online-only streaming video version of a series as they are into something that's airing on Adult Swim with a DVD release already scheduled?

Bleach will undoubtedly use a very experienced studio and top-notch actors.

kuni_kuni wrote:
If the Bleach dub is anything like these two, I think a boycott of Viz is in order.

I guarantee you that this is a totally rational and reasonable thing to say and that doing so will bring Viz Media to its knees.

Last edited by Zac on Sat Jul 15, 2006 2:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6