• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Log Horizon (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:29 am Reply with quote
Since the idea of "cour" is meant to break up the television season (the US equivalent being "fall season", "spring season", and "summer season", although it's more start time than length), anything that runs for 4-cour I generally just hear referred to as "full year".

Of course, I also generally hear it in reference to tokusatsu series like Kamen Rider and Super Sentai, which always run the 49-52 length, and then are replaced with the next series.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Bugnin wrote:
Spotlesseden wrote:

some people like to watch people play video games. They call esports.

True, and if they're going for that very small niche, then they're fine. That's an absurdly small percentage of gamers that this show would likely target.

Um that is not true at all. There are actually a lot of people that enjoy watching other people play sports. Heck the League of Legends season 3 championship game that happened last Friday had over 500,000 people watching on one stream. This doesn't include the other 2 major streams + foreign streams, so the total is much higher. The season 2 world championship that happened last had over 8 million unique views and this game is much more popular now -article
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Bugnin wrote:

True, and if they're going for that very small niche, then they're fine. That's an absurdly small percentage of gamers that this show would likely target.

yeah this is niche. The first ep is already getting alot of negative reviews alot of anime reviewers.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Wow, this show must have done something horrible to Bamboo's family.

I like it already.
Bango

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:20 pm Reply with quote
LOL. It's funny. That staff review topic mish-mash thing is what got me to register here and then this season I forgot all about it. I was all like "Bamboo?" *scrolls back a few pages to find the post* *doesn't see anything* *remembers what made him register on the site in the first place*

LOL
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:42 am Reply with quote
spoiler[
Well, at least the players don't have to fear much in the game.
It would just be too easy and too safe that way.
I'm thinking there must be some catch to it all.
Guess it was about time players started to turn on each other..
Saw pretty much the same thing in SAO.
I like this anime. It's really fun at times.]
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:05 am Reply with quote
Oh, come on. You discover you are trapped in a game ... and don't have a single discussion about the possible whys and wherefores of it? You don't have any discussion about what may be going on with your real body back in the world? You don't have a single discussion of what you might be able to do in-game to get back? Nope. Apparently, you simply have a bit of angst over how to find a purpose IN THIS TOTALLY EFFED UP SITUATION YOU ARE IN. Sometimes, I really get annoyed that Japanese writers don't seem to have a concept of "obligatory scenes." You can't blow those questions off. You just can't.

Urg.

Anyway, setting those enormous story-telling holes aside, a pretty fun episode. LH is definitely going into way more tactical detail about MMORPGs than SAO ever did and I do appreciate that.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:24 am Reply with quote
Didn't the first episode already establish that none of the characters have any idea what is going on? What would be the point in furthering establish that none of the characters have any idea what is going on?

Also, this is their "real world". They're not in a game. I'm pretty sure they've said that at least 20 times now.
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:33 am Reply with quote
Exactly, they've already talked about the subject enough. They woke up in the game with no memory of how they got there. Since the bad guy didn't show up in the sky to reveal his master plan there isn't any way for them determine how it happened.
ZorgonXtreme

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:41 am Reply with quote
I like how there's no out-of-game bad guy, or at least how he hasn't shown his face yet. Having everybody just get caught in a virtual world where it starts to boil to mediocrity is an interesting idea and I'm curious to see where it goes.

So...maybe it's the subs I'm watching, but...

Yes, that is what flying is.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:51 am Reply with quote
Episode 2
Did they mention the mastermind behind the game yet? or rather the creator? If not, I'm hoping they will soon because that's a big question mark in this series so far.

As regarding episode 2, it was alright. I liked how they explained some of the mechanics already like spoiler[pkers, the classes, and a few spells. I hope they explain little by little each episode though to get viewers comfortable with their world's concepts. The battles were alright. I like how they were able to disable the enemy's healer by putting him to sleep. That's some epic strategy there.]

Oh and Akatsuki is adorable as usual :>
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:05 pm Reply with quote
so ep 2 was pretty much a concept establishing episode and pretty much the hints of reforming the old raid group seems to be the long term goal as it is better than being jerkish PKers.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Didn't the first episode already establish that none of the characters have any idea what is going on? What would be the point in furthering establish that none of the characters have any idea what is going on?

Also, this is their "real world". They're not in a game. I'm pretty sure they've said that at least 20 times now.

I'm not expecting them to understand what's going on but I do expect them to have some discussion over possible theories. And I have never once got the impression that this is their "real world" now. That's even more effed up then having your consciousness trapped in a virtual reality. So you're in a "real" world where you can see game stats on an invisible HUD? That makes no sense. It's basic story-telling 101 to have your characters discuss getting back to your original world. To not even have a single discussion about it is weird.
GrayArchon

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

No, he's right. They kind of sort of established that, but it was sort of lacking. It was basically establishing "Huh, so we're in the game. Now what?" and that was it. The questions of how they got there, and how they get back were basically throw away lines answered with "I don't know." And that was it for what you'd think would be a very popular topic of conversation and speculation that would be explored in depth.

For example, when they met with the guild episode 1, it was all "Hey, how you doing? What'ch up to?" with no one asking the obvious questions of "Do you have any idea how this happened? Do you have any idea of why this happened? What's the last thing you remember?"
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
For example, when they met with the guild episode 1, it was all "Hey, how you doing? What'ch up to?" with no one asking the obvious questions of "Do you have any idea how this happened? Do you have any idea of why this happened? What's the last thing you remember?"

Part of the first episode seems to imply that the events that occurred are in the slight past tense, that is why they refer it to the beginning as the "apocalypse", it can be assumed that whenever any of the guilds would meet up they WOULD ask the redundant questions of "do you remember anything different before you awoke?" (etc), and those that were a little bit bolder would ask strangers about there situation and come up with nothing of any value that would lead them into "the right direction" at least not at the time.

Playing the "hey lets hang out for a while" gets there mind off there circumstantial prison at the moment especially if everyone is stumped for a solution at the time being.

I can agree that the show should have gone in slight detail at least once about going through said questions, and then drop the questioning mantra until something of significance comes up because endlessly interviewing people WOULD be boring when there is nothing to be learned.

That said, there was a priorities issue going on and our lead Shiroe understood that mastering the game would be essential in the very least to avoid being PKed endlessly, if you can't step foot outside a main city without surviving player thugs trying to gank you, the ultimate goal of leaving the game would seem that much further from your grasp.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 47