• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Animated Feature Oscar Rules Changed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:55 am Reply with quote
Sanosuke_Inara wrote:
The fact that animation has been recognized enough to get Best Picture noms for the past 2 years disagrees.

Another fact: never once has animation won the award for Best Picture.

My opinion on the matter is the only reason animation is nominated is because the titles floating to the top were scarce to begin with. It's pretty bad when a committee has to scramble to fill slots rather than actually give a damn.

The proof comes in at how "animation" was defined to allow CGI works to be filed as such. A show like Up is about as much a definition of "animation" as James Cameron's Avatar.

The categories should be split, but given there are no hand drawn movies by Hollywood (Disney) anymore, it would be a category filled with anime, and a sure winner for it.

If memory serves, The Iron Giant was the last animated movie I think I've seen come out of Hollywood... in 1999.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:01 am Reply with quote
Seeing as the boundry between live action and animation is getting more blurred each year with increased use of motion capture, this is only fair and I can see it increasing to what it is for all live action movies in the near future as well. Wink
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:07 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

enurtsol:
Quote:
Including Japan's anime awards.

I've seen them nominate Western animated films at their awards a lot more often than we do in reverse.

Not that much more often. Usually the only Awards I've seen Western films in are the Hiroshima International Animation Festival.

GATSU wrote:

Quote:
As opposed to otakus?

Which ones? The Pixar fanboys are just as irritating at pretending their toons are for adults as the moe fanboys are at pretending their toons are for little kids.

Pixar fanboys are harmless. And we were talking about tastes. Put a cute moe girl, and otaku would scramble all over her, forgiving the rest of the show, so long as her merchandise are cute. Laughing

GATSU wrote:

Quote:
Arrietty may not be eligible for the 2012 Oscars (when Disney releases it in America) neither because it was originally released in Japan in 2010.

Depends on whether or not Disney wants to give it a sneak release in 2011.

Yeah, that was put to my attention.
It'll definitely qualify for BAFTA though. Laughing

GATSU wrote:

Quote:
Yeah, but how many people here have seen those?

Persepolis actually did pretty well for a unconventional animated film released in America. And Bashir did about a quarter as well as A Scanner Darkly.

Quote:
People here say it's always family films, but these same people don't even bother watching the other films on the list.

They do. It's just the non-family films aren't given many screens.

I was talking about here, in these forums. Laughing

GATSU wrote:

Quote:
Well, Pixar is America's Studio Ghibli - and Ghibli always wins in Japan.

Not always. Only the last 20 years.

Still, Pixar's only the last 15 years.

GATSU wrote:

Quote:
And if only Funimation had a qualifying run in L.A. for Eva 2.0 a month earlier in Dec 2010, instead of Jan 2011, then submitted it, there would've been 16 eligible films to warrant up to (not guaranteed) 5 nominations.

They might've had a chance w/ 1.0, but not 2.0.

Eva 2.0 came out in Japan in 2009. If Funi gave it a qualifying run in Dec 2010, it would've been eligible for the 2010 Oscars, which would make it the 16th eligible animated film and thus open the Award for up to 5 nominations, instead of just 3.

GATSU wrote:

greenwolf:
Quote:
Beauty and the Beast was nominated for Best Picture in 1992. The animation category was then created so animated films could have a better change at getting an award,

No, it was created because certain guilds don't like the idea of cartoons treading on the same turf as live-action.

That's what I said about the animated award ghetto. Laughing

PetrifiedJello wrote:

The categories should be split, but given there are no hand drawn movies by Hollywood (Disney) anymore, it would be a category filled with anime, and a sure winner for it.

If memory serves, The Iron Giant was the last animated movie I think I've seen come out of Hollywood... in 1999.

Disney Animation Chief John Lasseter is trying to change that, having Pixar Studio making 3DCG while Disney Animation Studio making traditional animation**, starting with The Princess and the Frog in 2009. Winnie the Pooh is coming out next month.

(** But not only traditional. After all, they did make Tangled aka Rapunzel last year.)
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:14 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol:
Quote:
Pixar fanboys are harmless.

Considering they've downgraded the medium into CG talking animals and objects, I disagree. They're just as detrimental to the genre as the Eva fanboys who helped turn anime into an emo harem circle-jerk fest.

Quote:
I was talking about here, in these forums.

Wouldn't be surprised if more people saw it on the forums than anywhere else.

Quote:
Eva 2.0 came out in Japan in 2009. If Funi gave it a qualifying run in Dec 2010, it would've been eligible for the 2010 Oscars, which would make it the 16th eligible animated film and thus open the Award for up to 5 nominations, instead of just 3.

I'm not talking about eligibility. I'm talking about whether it would actually be a viable candidate.

Jello:
Quote:
If memory serves, The Iron Giant was the last animated movie I think I've seen come out of Hollywood... in 1999

The last big one was Brother Bear.
_Emi_

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:59 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Emi: Bashir was never nominated for Best Animated Film, just Best Foreign Film.

I know but it was still a mature animated film that was nominated. If an Akira or a Ghost in the Shell isn't nominated for a Best Film or Best Animated Film, there is still the possibility of a Best Foreign Film. Thie is no rule saying that a film can't be nominated for only one of those categories as witnessed by Up and Toy Story 3.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3