• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Blood+ (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:39 pm Reply with quote
KyuuA4 wrote:
mydog8u2 wrote:
Why is Saya so weak? Sad

The series would be downright boring if she can easily defeat every character opposing her.

Boring?She is a total bad ass in the movie.Instead,the T.V. series had Saya droning along in a kind of amnesiac vampire/sealed beserker state,mixed with some family (almost holding hands)venture-a-long.Stretching what could have been a promising 26 episode epic into a 50 episode drag fest.I also didn't enjoy the___dialogue_that__was___really____spaced__far__apart.(Pause)

I had high expectations from last vampire going into plus,which is probably what ruined it for me.

P.S. rant:I had watched all the fansubs and raws back in 05 through 06,before it was licensed and wanted to checkout the dub.So I tuned into Adult Swim to find they airBlood+in some illogical order.I'm waiting for the english boxset.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:27 pm Reply with quote
You must have been watching the reruns during the week because I assure you they have been showing the new episodes in order every Saturday on CN, except when the interrupt it for something stupid, like the Futurama marathon.

p.s. In spite of all the naysaying, I still like Blood Plus better than the movie. Yes, Saya may not be as badass but a tv series calls for character development. In the movie, Saya fought alot but I didn't feel like I really knew her or why she did what she did. As for Saya forgetting about Riku, she didn't. She was so upset that she shut down emotionally and tried to push everyone away who was human because she didn't want to have to mourn another loss. And as for Kai, he did love her but I don't necessarily think it was ever in a romantic way.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Just as a reference for those of you who might be confused, this thread was originally created during he end of the series' fansub run (over a year ago). I don't know where [as] is in terms of episode count, but yes, this thread discusses the end of the series, so do be careful if you haven't noticed the spoilers already >_>.
biglemon7

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, its been a while since I've seen blood+ and i must say that i really enjoyed it (even if it did drag out a bit near the end) here's my various brain ramblings:

I think i remember that haji wasn't drinking blood and so that gives a legitimate reason as to why he's underpowered when compared to the other chevaliers. Also the other chevaliers are drinking that "wine" constantly so are probably healthier and more powerful because of it.

Saya on the other hand has spent practically her whole life fighting.... and our villainous diva on the other hand has been seen.... singing.... playing with toys....throwing hissy fits... and randomly massacring large numbers of people. So even though Saya's life mission is to go kick ass ... Diva still manages to be better at it even though she spends most of her time just kicking back

I guess that the fact that Diva was eating properly played a big part on her more supernatural abilities which i'm assuming should be way above a chevaliers powers??

So at the end with badass-saya even though she was more fighty than before she was only drinking the blood of a chevalier who didn't eat either... possibly making her super underpowered..

Though saying that, Diva should of easily defeated her and the double stab ending was a cop-out in my opinion as if they couldn't find another way for a weaker character to take on a more powerful character normally... so they just give them both swords to give the allusion of a matched fight..

Also when Saya was drinking normally at the start of the series even though she was more naive she should of been more powerful if the blood was related to her power... also i seem to remember characters talking about her "awakening" or something.. but its a bit blurry...
Porcupine

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Adult Swim is currently on Blood+ Episode 41 if I recall correctly from last Saturday's broadcast.

I've been watching this series off and on, it's not that great but just barely good enough to keep me watching sometimes. Mostly because it's already partially re-ran so many times on so many different timeslots due to the length of the series.

Maybe if I hadn't skimmed through spoilers in this thread I might have a different opinion than I do now, but I'm actually finding that this series seems more enjoyable to watch as the final arc unfolds. In some ways the action is slowing down and the bad guys almost seem like they got tired of it all and are self-destructing or rolling over to die. But I have to say that this kind of resolution to a conflict is original, at the very least.

Another thing that had me wondering is that why do people say that the final intro is bad? To me, it's been the best intro by far. I will admit the music is horrible, almost painful...is that the reason why people dislike it? But the animation and drawing quality of it is terrific.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Porcupine wrote:
Another thing that had me wondering is that why do people say that the final intro is bad? To me, it's been the best intro by far. I will admit the music is horrible, almost painful...is that the reason why people dislike it? But the animation and drawing quality of it is terrific.

It's hard to top the powerfully catchy first intro.I was singing that tune for a couple years.Even now,I can recall it.I wasn't a fan of any of the four outros though,but the artwork was great.I'm happy to see,that you recognize the artwork,over the music.There are other series,with some well made intros,that the music didn't do it justice.Off Topic:I'm currently enjoying Spice and Wolf.The intro is very catchy, and the artwork goes well with it.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:27 am Reply with quote
Porcupine wrote:

The animation is no problem, but you hit the nail on the head about the music. It's not catchy or.. well, anything. At least the first three had a decent J-Rock/Pop rhythm with guitars, drums, and good vocals. The lady in the fourth one has a terrible singing voice and sounded like she was just trying scat sing with quick/choppy lyrics to cover up her less than stellar yelping.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Another reason I liked Last Vampire so much is because I picked it up randomly(it came with a DVD minidisc,that had previews on it).My girl at the time loved it too(She got me a huge poster of it).Saya is a total badass,I really dig her confidence and brutal display of power.There is no magical crap or chevaliers going on it was just good monster slaying.I also liked that extra touch in the facial features,like her nose being rounded out.

Sure you could say The Last Vampire was too simple,but Blood plus was too overly dramatic and drawn out.The T.V. retelling let me down quite a bit.The appeal as well as the action of the movie was lost.I can go through and name everything I disliked in Blood +,but no one wants to hear me rant.Most of you already know what I'm yakin about,anyway.I've been carrying around a grudge for this piece since 2005.

LoL,Yes Haji is a pretty boy servant,I liked his young adolescent phase before being revived by Saya."Pick flowers for me...(Haji)No,do it your self"Shocked.IMO Saya and Diva combined couldn't take Movie Saya.
r-18

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:50 am Reply with quote
I sort of understand Haji's " what ever Siya wishes" cop out on things, as he said in the endspoiler[ that he does and always did love her so what would your emotional state be if you knew you had to kill the love of your life so his wooden depressed attitude was understandable to me] I actually had more empathy for Diva spoiler[she was a mistreated lab rat turned lose how could she not turn on her tormentors she became an emotional void and it filled with hatred for humans ] i also understand Syia's weakness when she could have been strong, stronger perhaps than Diva; she hated the monster in her and saw what Diva was and was afraid to let it out and become like Diva herself she was pathetic because self loathing makes you that way,spoiler[ she just wanted to live long enough to kill Diva and herself so no one else would ever have to suffer what she and Diva did. ] I was not all that disappointed with the series; yes it's potential was not fully realized but few anime realize all their potential and in the end it was entertaining enough to watch and that's not so bad. sorry about any gross errors in spelling but the spell checker is not up to anime speed and i don't speak or read Japanese.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:58 pm Reply with quote
I agree with r-18. Most of those who seemed to hate Blood+, not only love the movie more but seem to prefer more action based shows as well. The tv series was more dramatic and focused more on character development. While I'll admit the show was a bit weak in the beginning, it gradually got better.
vylo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Getting back to the comments on Saya vs Diva.

There are multiple reason for why Saya would be weaker then Diva. Feeding properly has something to do with it, but the main reason actually lies in their hibernation period. Saya had been awake for a while before Diva awoke. Diva is coming out fresh and is still only up for a year, while Saya probably should have already slipped back into her hibernation by the end of the series. This is why she seems so weak by comparison. She's literally exhausted. It would be like you trying to win a fight with a person who's been up for 3-4 hours when you've been awake for over a day. You won't be in top form to say the least.
Vortextk

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Yeah but through out the series she was always weaker. Never fought a chevalier on equal ground by herself. The first half of the series she was so scared that even the regular baddies were tough stuff. Of course every anime is like that, the "hard guy" will eventually be blown through later on, something akin to an rpg, but she still never performed as well as any of the top fighting characters in the anime. I just thought it was poorly done to keep her SUPER weak through out the entire anime with only regular humans always under her.
tomcat

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:16 pm Reply with quote
My theory as to Saya's weakness at the start of series is that her natural hibernation cycle was unnaturaly interrupted during the 1960's by the Red Shield for her service in Japan ( "Blood the Last Vampire" ), and when we see Saya's time in Viet Nam at the start of Blood +. We got to see Saya in Russia around 1919 in one episode and the the 1960's and the last time in the present, which would have been after less then a hibernation of 40 years. So without her beauty-sleep Saya wakness is with good reason. Poor Kai and the twins still have a loooong wait ahead of them.
Tuga2008

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:56 am Reply with quote
Hi.

For me this anime needs a continuation ,an OVA at least.Some questions were not answered.

Diva´s last chevalier was not dead after Saya cut him with her blood in the sword.Why he ask her to kill him?
Why he was a journalist in the final?And why he not fight once for Diva?

Some basic questions unanswer , hope in the near future .

Found this:
Quote:
...They really let perfect opening for sequel, and since we all know that Haji and Nathan are alive and that Nathan is strongest and oldest Chevalier alive, since he was the chevalier of Sayas mother and Divas children are are also alive and well, there is a huge opening for continue....

I fully agree with this statment.

regards[/quote][/code]
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:52 am Reply with quote
You're 18 months late on the discussion. But yeah, welcome to anime where the writing doesn't always make sense, nor does it always elicit continuations just because you think it should to make sense of said plot holes.

Personally, I'd also like a continuation, but only because the last 10 or so episodes turned into crap and made Saya's character a lot weaker than what I thought they were trying to build her up as. I doubt it'll happen anytime soon, though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4