• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Chernin Group Purchases Majority Stake in Crunchyroll

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mudduck454

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:30 pm Reply with quote
First thing I worry about is that subscriptions will be raised, due to large greedy company wanting more money, that will push the anime fans back to fansubs. or instead of raising rates for one they take away single subscriptions, and make you pay for all the content whether you want it or not.

I see this as a cash grab, most internet start ups begin as a dream, but wave enough money and they sell out. well there are exceptions to the rules, but it happens a lot.

As soon as rates go up, and or they slow down on the new anime streaming, I will cancel my membership, and go back to what I used to do.

I remember when CR was a fansub site, some people don't, but I do.
and I stayed and financially supported them to help get a legal alternative to fansubs, but now I will wait and see what happens.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:28 am Reply with quote
mudduck454 wrote:
First thing I worry about is that subscriptions will be raised, due to large greedy company wanting more money, that will push the anime fans back to fansubs. or instead of raising rates for one they take away single subscriptions, and make you pay for all the content whether you want it or not.

I see this as a cash grab, most internet start ups begin as a dream, but wave enough money and they sell out. well there are exceptions to the rules, but it happens a lot.

I hate to tell you this, but the cash grab took place a long time ago. Chernin isn't buying a stake from the original founders of Crunchyroll; he's buying out Venrock's share, which is an equally big capital investment company owned by the Rockefeller family.
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:42 am Reply with quote
Utsuro no Hako wrote:
mudduck454 wrote:

I hate to tell you this, but the cash grab took place a long time ago. Chernin isn't buying a stake from the original founders of Crunchyroll; he's buying out Venrock's share, which is an equally big capital investment company owned by the Rockefeller family.

Maybe that means nothing will change after all? If it has continued largely unchanged during the period of time while Venrock held a share, then it could mean that this is all being blown out of proportion... I'm just going to keep telling myself that at least. :/
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:53 am Reply with quote
I want to know what he means by "grow the anime vertical"(given the "continue", it may just be a clumsy way of referring to the current main business).

That said, it probably is a technologically-oriented buyout, but the question remains whether or not they add the new genres under the Crunchyroll banner or at a new one.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:55 am Reply with quote
mudduck454 wrote:

As soon as rates go up, and or they slow down on the new anime streaming, I will cancel my membership, and go back to what I used to do.

I remember when CR was a fansub site, some people don't, but I do.
and I stayed and financially supported them to help get a legal alternative to fansubs, but now I will wait and see what happens.

So you came up with a bunch of hypothetical scenarios based on zero evidence whatsoever. Good for you.

Nobody has any idea what this means for the site. Offering up "I'M WORRIED BECAUSE [THING I CAME UP WITH] MIGHT HAPPEN" is fearmongering.

Please stop doing that. Unless you have some kind of something that's more than 'I feel like this might happen based on no information at all', refrain from trying to scare people. Danke~
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:08 am Reply with quote
Utsuro no Hako wrote:
mudduck454 wrote:

Also, the "dream" that started Crunchyroll was "Wouldn't it be great if we could make a bunch of money by illegally streaming other people's works without giving them a cent?" They didn't actually turn into something respectable until they "sold out" by accepting that big investment.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:15 am Reply with quote
Well CR it was nice knowing you, i give the site 2-3yrs at the most before it's gone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
tehyar

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:36 am Reply with quote
Press releases after a buyout are typically full of lies to keep customers and employees calm, and the stated intentions can often be the exact opposite of truth. It will be interesting to see where this goes.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:59 am Reply with quote
If this hadn't been announced publicly none of you negative nancys would notice the difference.
Oraculo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:56 am Reply with quote
Utsuro no Hako wrote:

This has nothing to do with Fox, people. The Chernin Group is a completely separate capital investment company started by Peter Chernin after he quit as president of NewsCorps.

Doesn't matter. He still has the NewsCorp taint on him. Evil or Very Mad Guess I'll ride out my CR year subscription and in the meantime start looking for another service to replace it. Bummer... Neutral
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:33 am Reply with quote
CR will stream anything it believes its subscribers would pay money for, including other Asian series.
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:14 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
CR will stream anything it believes its subscribers would pay money for, including other Asian series.

And I'm completely okay with that as long as that doesn't mean they'll start prioritizing other entertainment mediums while forgoing more anime streaming licenses.

To be honest, right now they are doing really well with their acquisitions though. Every time I head over there they have a bunch of new series as well as more old content. They just picked up Gurren Lagann, The Melancholy of Haruhi as well as a few of the movies by Shinkai like 5 centimeters per second. Until I see something objectively negative(not just pessimistic preconceptions), I'm going to stay as optimistic as possible.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:36 am Reply with quote
[quote="Oraculo"]
Utsuro no Hako wrote:

Doesn't matter. He still has the NewsCorp taint on him. Evil or Very Mad Guess I'll ride out my CR year subscription and in the meantime start looking for another service to replace it. Bummer... Neutral

All of NewsCorps is evil? You won't watch the Simpsons or Family Guy, Buffy the Vampire Slayer or Firefly? Avatar? Aliens? And I take it you don't use Twitter or American Express since Chernin's on their boards as well? And he's invested in Tumblr, so that's out.

Well, I guess you'll have to watch your anime on Hulu. Oh wait, that's co-owned by Fox.

Well, I guess it's back to piracy for you.
Great Rumbler

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:18 am Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
Well CR it was nice knowing you, i give the site 2-3yrs at the most before it's gone.

The CR that we have today is due almost entirely to a massive cash infusion from a venture capitalist firm owned by the Rockefeller family, and that happened more than 5 years ago.

And if you look at Peter Chernin's resume, it's clear that he has a great deal of experience in the entertainment industry and has ties to Asian media companies. He's no dummy.

Polycell wrote:
I want to know what he means by "grow the anime vertical"(given the "continue", it may just be a clumsy way of referring to the current main business).

"Vertical," in industry terms, generally means owning more of the product-creation process top-to-bottom. Most likely that would mean, in this case, that he wants to see CR get involved with Japanese studios to create, or help fund, original content.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Great Rumbler wrote:
"Vertical," in industry terms, generally means owning more of the product-creation process top-to-bottom. Most likely that would mean, in this case, that he wants to see CR get involved with Japanese studios to create, or help fund, original content.
That seems like the obvious interpretation, but I don't see Crunchyroll being in much of a position to assist in that business plan - if they're planning to make money from discs or merch, it's in their best interest to spread it around like Aniplex does.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5