• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: WATAMOTE

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
supersqueak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:46 pm Reply with quote
I ended up liking this anime quite a bit it kinda rings true to real life. I know I have felt similar to Tomoko lots of times in my life. I was utterly repelled by the manga because I remember checking it out some when they announced the anime but when the anime came out and everyone on Anncast praised it I gave it another try. It was really fun after all. I feel bad for Tomoko when I watch it and I think I will probably end up checking out the manga again.
Msag

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Just finished watching this series after reading your review, Theron! Smile And contrary to your advice (though I did try to follow it), I ended up marathoning the series. I just couldn't help it, Tomoko rocks.

I didn't find this series uncomfortable to watch either, truth be told. Even though I've had my period of loneliness when in school, I guess the situations Tomoko faced were mostly embarrassing (in the first term at least) than downright sad. Didn't find the series THAT funny either, but it still managed to get a chuckle out of me now and then.

I think its the lead character who completely made this show. She's so anti-moe and original, that if you look past her horniness (and I guess it can be forgiven, hormones eh) and compulsive lying, she's just so COOL! And I couldn't help admiring her courage to change her situation in every episode, that is definitely something I lacked when I was lonesome. Hoping there's a second season *fingers crossed*.
configspace

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Msag wrote:
She's so anti-moe

.. or she just might be the ultimate moe in disguise! Laughing

Going by the Tomoko Nendoroids and official Tomoko dakimakura (hugging pillow), the publisher probably thinks so too

Quote:
And I couldn't help admiring her courage to change her situation in every episode, that is definitely something I lacked when I was lonesome. Hoping there's a second season *fingers crossed*.

Yes, I'm also glad for the few touching moments to offset her failures! Fortunately the anime spent more time with her interaction with student council president Megumi than the manga.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:38 am Reply with quote
hojo 360 wrote:
Not to be a dub hater since i love them but this is one show i never want to hear a dub on the JP VA do such a good job and i can't think of anyone that can pull off Tomoko so I'm hoping for a sub only BD Razz
Why would the existence of a dub somehow force you to listen to it?
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:54 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Why would the existence of a dub somehow force you to listen to it?

Because apparently some people still think this is the V.C.R. era with only language track available per release.
Msag

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:31 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:

.. or she just might be the ultimate moe in disguise! Laughing

Going by the Tomoko Nendoroids and official Tomoko dakimakura (hugging pillow), the publisher probably thinks so too

Oooh I haven't checked all the merchandise related to the series yet Very Happy thanks for telling, I'll go check now...

configspace wrote:

Yes, I'm also glad for the few touching moments to offset her failures! Fortunately the anime spent more time with her interaction with student council president Megumi than the manga.

You've read the manga? I read in a forum somewhere that the manga takes a disappointing turn regarding Tomoko's characterization... but then I don't think I'll enjoy reading the manga anyway. There are only a few episodic manga that I can tolerate (like Yotsubato), but the anime hooked me in for some reason... probably because it stopped before it got too episodic and wore itself out.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Msag wrote:
I read in a forum somewhere that the manga takes a disappointing turn regarding Tomoko's characterization...

I read the manga and I can't say I know what this is referring to. A few recent chapter had her being pretty nasty and hypocritical to boot, but she's always been like that.
Msag

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:21 am Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
Msag wrote:
I read in a forum somewhere that the manga takes a disappointing turn regarding Tomoko's characterization...

I read the manga and I can't say I know what this is referring to. A few recent chapter had her being pretty nasty and hypocritical to boot, but she's always been like that.

Yeah, its probably just that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3