• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Expert Anime Hackers

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Meygaera

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Choosing the worst anime for the year is always difficult because normally when something is bad or uninteresting I stop watching after the first or second episode. That aside, Oreimo 2 was definitely a let-down though.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I'd move Ed up to #3 on this week's list. I think she's a better hacker (and, as weird as it may be to say this, a more realistic one) than the Kill la Kill guy.

As for the poll: I only can go by anime I've actually seen part of. So, even though it's rotoscoping and maybe not really anime, Flowers of Evil is my easy #1 worst anime this year. It was both literally and figuratively unendurable. The plot, the method of animation, the characters: no redeeming qualities, IMO -- maybe the music, but I can't remember what kind of music it had now. Just thinking about it makes me queasy.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Galilei Donna was easily the worst show of the year for me. I can't believe such a talented team made something so embarrassingly bad.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Great Rumbler wrote:

Motoko does some hacking on occasion, and she's pretty good at it, but you wouldn't really describe her to someone as being a hacker, she's the lead for an elite spec-ops team.

On the other hand, you definitely would say that about the Laughing Man, though, since being a hacker is basically what he's all about.

True. I think because they are from the same show, and it happens to be one of my favorites, I kind of put them hand in hand since a large part of her job as the major involves hacking... but then again, in the GiTs world, a lot of characters do hacking at some point or another so...
Northlander

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:26 pm Reply with quote
I went with Leviathan, but I should probably have gone with my initial choice while going down the list instead, namely Da Capo III. (There were three other possibilities there, but I've only seen the first episode of either -- Sekai de Ichiban Tsuyoku Naritai!, Photo Kano and Tantei Opera Milky Holmes, two of which I dropped -- so I won't vote for them when I don't know how they'll turn out later on, even if I'm pretty sure they won't improve much. Well, maybe Milky Holmes will. Maybe.)
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:31 pm Reply with quote
So many people fail to grasp the sublime excellence of Zettai Bouei Leviatan
vanfanel

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:36 pm Reply with quote
"Date Alive" was probably not the worst of the year, but it was the worst of the relatively tiny sliver of that list I saw any of.
rheiders

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:39 pm Reply with quote
So I don't typically subject myself to truly awful shows past the first episode or two, but I got about 9 episodes into Amnesia and that show somehow managed to be both boring and extremely offensive. I don't know how it pulled that off, but surely that and the fact that I still get a bad taste in my mouth just thinking about it are enough to call it the worst series of the year.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Blazblue: Alter Memory

Easily my most hated anime of the year. Objectively, it's probably not the worst of the year, but it was such a massive disappointment. I, and thousands of other fans, have been waiting years for a Blazblue anime, and this horribly animated, incomprehensible, half-assed piece of garbage is what we get? Granted, the games were hardly AAA in the story department (the characters are what make the story good in the first place), but I never once gave up on trying to piece together what was going on. By the time episode 6 of the anime came around though, I just stopped caring. That's right, if it can confuse ME, someone who knows the story of Blazblue like the back of his hand (mostly), you know there's a problem. My sympathies for people who watched this without playing the games.

As far as I'm concerned, the best episodes were the hot springs episode (yeah, the fanservice episode, go figure) and episode 11, for properly explaining things that weren't 100% explained in the games.
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:48 pm Reply with quote
No Love Machine from Summer Wars? Bummer, at least Ed is on there.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:21 pm Reply with quote
yotsubafanfan wrote:
No Love Machine from Summer Wars? Bummer, at least Ed is on there.

Well, spoiler[Love Machine is really a hack, not a hacker.]

Ruri Hoshino from Martian Successor Nadesico (and again in Prince of Darkness), and what about Maya Ibuki, Ritsuko Akagi, and Ritsuko's mother from Evangelion --- or does it not count as hacking if you are designing and operating the system in the first place?
Key

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Oreimo 2 would, I think, win uncontested for the worst ending of the year (and I'll have more to say about that later), but if you discount the OVA episodes then it was actually a pretty good series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TG72

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:34 pm Reply with quote
How about an Honorable Mention for Railgun's Uiharu?
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Oreimo 2 would, I think, win uncontested for the worst ending of the year (and I'll have more to say about that later), but if you discount the OVA episodes then it was actually a pretty good series.

I have to agree. I didn't hate it as a whole, especially if you don't count the ova, but if you do... yeah, that ending was complete trash.
consignia

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Are you forgetting the last TV episode? It sets the grounding for the actual ending and doesn't really function as a decent end point for the season.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7