• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Witch Craft Works (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:52 pm Reply with quote
@Blood-
Apples, hell. Grapefruit at least, possibly cantaloupes.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:13 pm Reply with quote
I guess what works for me is the cadre of Tower Witches that look like a cute ensemble of high school girls that routinely get their asses kicked and burned to a crisp. Yet they come back for more.

So why would the Tower Witches like to frequent a school that turns out to be a Workshop? Complete with a "torture seminar" club room? (is it wrong of me to be sort of turned on by that?) If their experience at Ayaka's hands is typical you think they would avoid the place. And it would seem that Ayaka isn't even the Workshop's heaviest hitter.

I still think the animation and artwork is second rate. It wasn't as noticeable this episode for some reason.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:32 am Reply with quote
Well, I'm done. I want to be clear though: I'm not dropping this because they made a dumb "I just want the white stuff in your body" joke. I'm dropping it because they have such a complete lack of respect for the intelligence of their audience that they then proceeded to have the other girl butt in to point out the poor phrasing and then had the main character repeat it in his head a half dozen times before finally blushing just to make absolutely sure we got it.

P.S. A show this bad has no right to have something as great as a humanoid crocodile in a suit and hat in it so I'm officially revoking their permission. I have the power to do that.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:18 am Reply with quote
Goodbye – we miss you. I'm sticking around for the sharp visuals and big girl little guy companionship.
Miranox

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:12 am Reply with quote
Ah yes, with every new season there must be at least one show where an utterly generic MC with no personality gets dogpiled by supermodels because he is The Chosen One.

Writing aside, the show does have good animation and style. This isn't surprising since the source material is a manga with amazing art. It may be worth watching just for the eye-candy.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:50 pm Reply with quote
While she was given a bit conversation in the previous episode, Six's proper introduction gave me an interest in that nature that a trap can at least give pause to our juggernaut heroine.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:23 am Reply with quote
Wow I just watched the ED for the first time. Those masochist witches.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:23 am Reply with quote

spoiler[Takamiya is a joke.
Kagari is his complete opposite.
No wonder no one likes their new relationship.
It's funny and amusing watching everyone spread negative energy towards Takamiya.
Kagari sure has her hands full with protecting that little whimp.
Second part of the episode was more interesting.
It's nice Kagari is finally teaching him about magic.
Good episode!]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:26 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

I don't think Takamiya is actually a wimp, as a major point he seems to have a strong sense to protect people that he puts himself in danger, and I think that is rather admirable.

As for the episode, I laughed at various points like Kagari's fight demonstration spoiler[being that she just blew them up, something lacking any finesse, that she could beat them without even looking]. We don't really have anyone to compare to so we can't tell if Takamiya is actually doing poorly, but we do know that spoiler[it is his potential that is making her as physically resistant, but also having her absorb his damage].

Despite Rie's character being what seems to be a villain, I could not help but love her here. Kind of funny that I just went from watching her play Yuuki from Saki, to the scheming villain she is here.

Also laughed at Kagari claiming spoiler[that the thugs were witches, because I think it is quite clear that really were normal people]. Her reasoning was spoiler[quite spotty and her eyes darted to the left, a common sign someone is lying]. And it appears the girl he saved is his sister's friend, and spoiler[based on the preview his sister is also a witch]. Maybe says something about the stalking last episode.

Also quite liked the scene with cg during the flying, maybe some might it not good but I thought it was pretty and exciting. Also the ludicrously of a group of witches that has one spoiler[riding a lama], I am pretty sure schools do have rules against that.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3:

Took me awhile to get used to the 3D like graphics tbh. The episode was okay but I'm still not attached to Takamiya yet despite him trying his best to earn respect from others and protect Kagari. spoiler[He does learn a little about magic and flying though the hard way.]

I was somewhat taken by that bus scene again though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Episode three was better than the first two, but it still was too weak for me to continue with the series. Which is a shame since Kagari is so cool. If the show was about her instead of Takamiya I'd keep watching but alas, not to be.

Dropped.
Ignatz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:08 pm Reply with quote
You forgot this:

dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:13 pm Reply with quote
^
LOL, you're quite correct. Witch Craft Works isn't the worst show out there by a long chalk, but if it is bad enough to be dropped then it deserves to get the gif.

DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Well I am keeping this so I need a picture of that heroine locked a cage.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:06 pm Reply with quote
High point: The bus scene. That actually had an interesting villain who for a change seems to be able to handle Kagari. The dimensional shift where the reality of the bus altered was kind of well done.

Low point: The training. "Just concentrate." Meh.

Reason to keep watching: I kind of like the cute bad girls.

Reason to drop: Takamiya constantly spazing out over everything. Even Kagari was compelled to call him an airhead.

Oh, well. Next week is next week.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9