• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fractale Helmer Yamamoto Asks for Halt on Manga Version

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nargun

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:02 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
If I hired you to do a job for me, then I would expect that you would put your heart and soul into it.

That's a problem with your expectations, I'm afraid. If you pay someone for their time all you're entitled to is their time. Hearts and souls are more expensive.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Does her work now show lack of passion(or other equally vague concepts) because she expressed her feelings about drawing the manga?
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Failachu wrote:
riding on people's coattails.

Says the man who made a killing off of the Haruhi franchise.

Que? I think you're mistaking him with Nagaru Tanigawa - Yamakan was just paid to do some work on the anime, and only the first series at that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:31 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
If I hired you to do a job for me, then I would expect that you would put your heart and soul into it.

You sound as though you've never worked a day in your life, so allow me to interject here.

If you hired me to give me a boring project to work on, and I speak my mind about it, and you take offense, I'd quit on the spot and wouldn't give you the respect of even two weeks of notice.

It's unrealistic you expect people to put their "heart and soul" into the things they do and when you finally enter the work force, you'll discover this yourself.

Despite my passion for web design, there are still projects I find tedious and boring, but this doesn't change my professional approach to the project at hand.

See. I just said the same thing the mangaka did and I feel.... no different.

I do have to say, the comment did make me smile for the blissful state it comes from.
Smile
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:11 pm Reply with quote
NEWS: Fractale Helmer Yamamoto is Drama Queen, Continues to Act as Such.
luhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Maybe she said it because she wanted to get fired. I can't blame her, Fractale is awful.
Seca

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:20 pm Reply with quote
luhead wrote:
Maybe she said it because she wanted to get fired. I can't blame her, Fractale is awful.

This was actually my first thought about it. And honestly I wouldn't blame her one bit.
toyNN

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:31 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:

You sound as though you've never worked a day in your life, so allow me to interject here.

If you hired me to give me a boring project to work on, and I speak my mind about it, and you take offense, I'd quit on the spot and wouldn't give you the respect of even two weeks of notice.

What sort of idyllic job world to you live in? Geez - It would be nice to have the luxury of only taking on the contract jobs that we could put our full heart and soul into but thats usually rare unless you are working only for yourself.

If you air-out your negative feelings about a job into the websphere expect perhaps to be fired.
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Yamakan should go help work on Kannagi Season 2...you know the show that people are eagerly anticipating?
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:37 pm Reply with quote
I guess the overall question is who looks worse in this situation. A manga artist who may or may not have just ruined her big break or an employer who fires his employees for not finding his work all that interesting. I'd say this whole thing makes them both look bad, but as I said before Yamamoto is really annoying. He just doesn't know when to shut up. He has a couple of hits on his resume and now he thinks he owns the industry. He's like the M. Nigh Shyamalan of anime.
Alexis.Anagram

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:55 pm Reply with quote
nargun wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:

That's a problem with your expectations, I'm afraid. If you pay someone for their time all you're entitled to is their time. Hearts and souls are more expensive.

Amen. This whole question of what is or is not professional behavior is impertinent at best. Akazaki did not write this blog on their payroll; just because they hand her a paycheck does not give her employers a right to dictate what she can or can not say on her own time outside of the workplace. She is not obligated to act "professionally" when she is not practicing her profession. Furthermore, even if she hates the job with the visceral passion she seems to depict in her blog entry (which is unlikely, considering how exaggerated it sounds), that doesn't prevent her from performing entirely within the bounds of what would be considered "professional behavior" at work. To be sure, if she was throwing fits at work and engaging in irrational tirades about how horrible her life was being made due to her involvement in the project, I would probably sympathize with her but I wouldn't blame her employers for firing her. In this case, however, she's squarely within her rights to express whatever misgivings she may have in whatever tone she chooses to take-- especially if she feels her more, shall we say, reasonably framed concerns have not been given any credence by her superiors.

Alas, some of us can and do separate our work from the rest of our lives. I mean, I hardly live for my crappy day job, and I regularly disparage the aspects of it I don't like (as does my manager and every other worker there), yet all of us do our jobs to the best of our ability and earn our pay when we are being paid. But, oops, maybe I should be fired because I referred to my work as "crappy" on the Internet.
Great Rumbler

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Bad-mouthing a product you've been hired to work on isn't a very good thing to do, particularly if you want to keep getting work.
configspace

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:50 pm Reply with quote
I don't see what the fuss is all about though. Mangaka:"this sucks", Yamakan: "then do something else"

For other types of professional jobs, it's easier to separate work from your feelings about it as there are more objective goals. However with creative or artistic work, how you feel about the work more directly impacts its quality.
jmaeshawn

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:23 am Reply with quote
Alexis.Anagram wrote:
nargun wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:

Amen. This whole question of what is or is not professional behavior is impertinent at best. Akazaki did not write this blog on their payroll; just because they hand her a paycheck does not give her employers a right to dictate what she can or can not say on her own time outside of the workplace. She is not obligated to act "professionally" when she is not practicing her profession. Furthermore, even if she hates the job with the visceral passion she seems to depict in her blog entry (which is unlikely, considering how exaggerated it sounds), that doesn't prevent her from performing entirely within the bounds of what would be considered "professional behavior" at work. To be sure, if she was throwing fits at work and engaging in irrational tirades about how horrible her life was being made due to her involvement in the project, I would probably sympathize with her but I wouldn't blame her employers for firing her. In this case, however, she's squarely within her rights to express whatever misgivings she may have in whatever tone she chooses to take-- especially if she feels her more, shall we say, reasonably framed concerns have not been given any credence by her superiors.

Alas, some of us can and do separate our work from the rest of our lives. I mean, I hardly live for my crappy day job, and I regularly disparage the aspects of it I don't like (as does my manager and every other worker there), yet all of us do our jobs to the best of our ability and earn our pay when we are being paid. But, oops, maybe I should be fired because I referred to my work as "crappy" on the Internet.

I agree that people can say what they want about their job on on their own free time, but one should also be mindful of "the public eye".

For example, in a fast food restaurant, you can grumble and complain all you want to yourself, but when you serve a customer, you better put on a smile and act like it's the best job in the world or the customers will get a bad perception of the restaurant and not want to come back.

In this case, her comments she posts on her blog are the only perception the public has about what she is like while working because they aren't there watching her while she's drawing.

So, the director is pissed at her for giving off a bad impression as the only publicity the manga has gotten. And I agree with him, since the only thing I've heard about the Fractale manga is the mangaka's complaints about how boring it is, and that certainly doesn't make me want to read it.

If she hates it so much, she should just hand the reigns over to another mangaka who actually cares about the series, instead of giving it bad publicity and basically throwing away what little profits it (could have) turned.
maaya

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:57 am Reply with quote
Romuska wrote:
I guess the overall question is who looks worse in this situation.

Well, Yamamoto reacted completely offended and huffy. Just saying "well, then just do something else" would have been ok, but he was like "oh, I'm sooo sorry to have made you work on something "not interesting"" + the "riding on people's coattails" comment + asking to cancel the series ... he is the veteran in the industry and behaves just as unprofessional as a (probably young, she graduated in 2010) manga artist who just got her very first job in the industry.

I hope Akazaki will get some other job, her drawings and skills are wasted on Fractale anyway (which she is doing a professional job with, when reading it you'd never guess that she hates what she's doing).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4