• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Free! - Iwatobi Swim Club Anime Gets 2nd Season

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nayu

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:05 am Reply with quote
It would be nice if they fleshed out Gou and the sensei to more than cardboard cutouts.

But they won't.... It would be hard to imagine yourself as Gou if she actually had any characterization beyond being the token girl.
StormVanguard

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:13 am Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:
Free and Sailor Moon? Summer will surely be a season for shojo.
Nothing wrong with this, considering how dark the original SM is supposed to be i'm quite hyped to see this.
We need more shoujo like Maid-Sama, Skip Beat and Ouran Highschool Host Club can never have enough of shows like this.

phoenixalia wrote:

You do realize that this anime is aimed at female otaku/ fujoshi right? In those shows, female characters aren't that relevant. It's the same way how a male harem show doesn't have much emphasis on male characters.
I have to disagree while i mostly dislike harems both normal and reverse Gou feels like she's there to give the show balance while her character amounts to the equivalence of air. At least in harems they pay attention to said character of the opposite sex. And yes i was fully aware.

musouka wrote:

I know exactly how you feel. I, too, was very upset when Satoshi didn't end up being relevant in K-On.

Who? no seriously.. i just recall there was a guy for a few seconds then he disappeared, K-on was strangely good.. in a open your mouth in the rain and drown like a turkey kind of way.
No seriously, i have no idea why it was good.. it just was.

Nayu wrote:
It would be nice if they fleshed out Gou and the sensei to more than cardboard cutouts.

Come to think about it sensei did have more character than Gou just.. very.. small.. screentime.

Last edited by StormVanguard on Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Kannami

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:18 am Reply with quote
I think the crazy egg and cone wars were hysterical.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:22 am Reply with quote
Sunny milk wrote:
There's no surprise here, it was already quite dubious as to how little they care about their recent titles (KnK and Chuuni 2 being prime example).
It's no surprise they were already preparing for the "main dish".

I think Kyoto Animation cared about Kyoukai no Kanata (especially considering that the usually great production values are present), but they cannot get behind a property that did not sell many BD/DVD copies. I am assuming they still care a great deal about Chuubibyou because the first season sold well, and they decided to do a second one.

Detrimont wrote:
I'm fine with it getting a second season, but so many series with better storylines haven't gotten 2nd seasons...

With anime sequels it is not really about the quality of the show, it is about what sells well. Free! was going to have a second season (regardless of its quality) as long as it sold very well.
Soliia

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:27 am Reply with quote
I knew it was coming, but seeing it officially announced is still exciting!
StormVanguard

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:29 am Reply with quote
Soliia wrote:
I knew it was coming, but seeing it officially announced is still exciting!

It was already officially announced quite awhile ago, same with Kyoukai no Kanata i believe.

Nayu wrote:

I have a solution. Gou gives up on the boys, they're obviously not interested in women, and spends the rest of the show flirting with sensei. Honestly, that would be brilliant.

You know.. that doesn't sound that bad.

Last edited by StormVanguard on Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Nayu

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:29 am Reply with quote
StormVanguard wrote:

Nayu wrote:

Come to think about it sensei did have more character than Gou just.. very.. small.. screentime.

I have a solution. Gou gives up on the boys, they're obviously not interested in women, and spends the rest of the show flirting with sensei. Honestly, that would be brilliant.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:41 am Reply with quote
Sunny milk wrote:
There's no surprise here, it was already quite dubious as to how little they care about their recent titles (KnK and Chuuni 2 being prime example).
I dont know what youre smoking but Chuunibyou is far more popular than Free! and Ren is by far the most entertaining show of the season for a large amount of people.
Rivailloli

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:45 am Reply with quote
HELL FREAKING YES!
I stayed up to watch the announcement and my room mate thought I was totally nuts, but it was worth it.

Can't freaking wait! Free was one of my favorites from 2013. The only thing is I hope the drama isn't as cringe worthy as in the first season. Actually, I hope there barely is any.

Also, more MakoHaru moments!
phoenixalia

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:49 am Reply with quote
StormVanguard wrote:
I have to disagree while i mostly dislike harems both normal and reverse Gou feels like she's there to give the show balance while her character amounts to the equivalence of air. At least in harems they pay attention to said character of the opposite sex. And yes i was fully aware.

I see your point. But I'd rather have this than a usual badly done harem/ reverse harem.

Kougeru wrote:
I don't know what youre smoking but Chuunibyou is far more popular than Free! and Ren is by far the most entertaining show of the season for a large amount of people.

I wouldn't say it's more popular than Free!. I'd say both are equally popular among their respective fanbases.
Toester_Strudel

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:50 am Reply with quote
That was quite predictable, but that's not a bad thing many others including myself enjoyed the show.
Rivailloli

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:53 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Sunny milk wrote:
I don't know what youre smoking but Chuunibyou is far more popular than Free! and Ren is by far the most entertaining show of the season for a large amount of people.

Free! sold way more than Chunnibyou though, so I think it's obvious which one is more popular. Not saying the show isn't good, but Free! is definitely more popular than Chu-2 was considering its Light Novel sales, the drama cds and character songs, the singles for the op and ed sales, and DVD/BD sales among other things.
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:57 am Reply with quote
StormVanguard wrote:
zeo1fan wrote:
Free and Sailor Moon? Summer will surely be a season for shojo.
Nothing wrong with this, considering how dark the original SM is supposed to be i'm quite hyped to see this.
We need more shoujo like Maid-Sama, Skip Beat and Ouran Highschool Host Club can never have enough of shows like this.

Did I say it was bad? Anime hyper I think one of my favorite things about the manga was how morally gray it got by its ending.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:13 pm Reply with quote
I do respect that there's a lot of fans for this show but I still think it's a waste of KyoAni's talent. They should be remaking Rewrite instead. Gonna mimic myself from a year ago and say we also need a proper ending to FMP anime.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Sweet about time this gets anther season
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6