• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Anime Gets Sloppy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Another great article by Mike Toole. The Doan episode is interesting because of the secrecy involved with Tomino cutting it in America, and yet its in the Japanese DVDs.

One stylistic choice thats is constantly called horrible is Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood: Star of Milos. The character designer and chief animator was Kenichi Konishi who was the Chief Designer of Millenium Actress and Paprika (he was also the character designer of the MA as well). Outside of two scenes the movie itself looks great, but Ed has weird hair so the defining way people talk about the movie is that it looks horrible. The dramatic scene were they talk about Milos past? Doesnt matter Ed has weird hair. The epic finale involving a sword fight animated by Yoshimichi Kameda (the best animator for FMA Brotherhood), Lava, Wolf Chimera, and a guy's head exploding ? Doesnt matter the movie looks weird at times so clearly it must have been rushed.

It took me two years to watch that film and then I regretted not watching it sooner. I bought the bluray for the movie because its a fantastic looking film.

The Max and Milla fight is kind of interesting because not only is it not a throwaway scene its one of the most important scenes in the series. You just got to wonder how that scene got animated like that in the first place.

Last edited by Charred Knight on Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:22 pm; edited 3 times in total
Hika Yagami

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Gotta love that quality animation X3. Reminds me of when I found these gems from the TV airing of Tokyo Mew Mew episode 24.

http://hikayagami.tumblr.com/post/46524408582/tokyo-mew-mew-like-most-childrens-anime-had-a

Last edited by Hika Yagami on Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Frazmataz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:20 pm Reply with quote
My personal favourite is this shot from Macross where they clearly forgot to paint in Minmay's eyes:

http://eyeforthings.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/ep22_kaifun_watches_minmay.png

Minmay, where did your soul go?! Shocked
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:24 pm Reply with quote
As someone who collects anime cels, I really enjoyed this topic. I'd like to hope that, in a future column, maybe you'll address some of the jokes that animators draw and that makes it through the final cut. There's a couple in Sailor Moon that I can think of.

As you mentioned, a lot of these errors are in-between cels (or sketches for CG stuff), and they're usually drawn by people who have had less experience in the business. The nerdy collector in me would like to point out that you can easily tell if any sketch is a 'key' sketch if the number at the top right hand corner (usually) is circled. Most in-between artwork is used for transitional purposes, like if a character is turning their head or moving. The first cut will be a key, the second an inbetween, the third a key, the fourth an inbetween, and the final movement will be a key sketch. The key sketches will be drawn first and the job of the inbetween animator is to make the transition between key sketches look as smooth as possible.

It makes you wonder if this is one small reason why artwork from many newer shows is impossible to find. By redrawing/editing the official DVD/Blu-Ray release and destroying all the production artwork, there's little proof other than fansubs that the inferior artwork existed at one time.

As for the consistency issue, I agree that that's important and sometimes it's quite noticeable when animation directors choose to modify the artwork based on their own preferences. There are websites that have created screenshots of the same character and then pose them back to back, and they highlight the differences. Some of these changes are very noticeable.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:30 pm Reply with quote
So I guess headless Naruto and derp-eyes Ichigo were considered to be givens? Razz
TsubomiKoneko

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Aaah my goodness this brings back memories of Papillon Rose New Season episode 3.

Almost the entire episode was much lower quality than the previous episodes animation wise. They ended up fixing it on the DVD release. Well, the singular DVD release in Japan anyway. I think we got the TV variation with Maiden Japan's release.

From the TV airing:

From the Japanese DVD release:

Oh and of course my favorite, the missing limb incident from that episode...

TV:

DVD:

While I think it's terrible when these kind of things happen with animation, I also feel really bad for the people that have to go back and pretty much redraw an entire episode if they decide to do another release of it.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Oooh remembered another one, Birdy the Mighty: Decode. The series had really loose animation at some points to start with but apparently the tv release for one episode (looks like it was episode 20/season 2 episode 7 depending on how you count it) was really simplified and off-model. It got corrected for the DVDs so if you've seen the Funimation streams it looks more or less normal but I saw some comparison screenshots once and yikes, looked less like a stylistic choice and more like a budget cut. Can't seem to find them anymore though, anyone else know what I'm talking about?
Drac

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Oh those Korean animators. Of course Anime isn't exclusive with having spotty animation errors since shows like the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles were plagued by them which I surely noticed as a kid and they really annoyed me back then.

Large volumes of episodes were rushed out to networks for many 80's cartoons and hackneyed writing was king in that era because certain writers, who probably couldn't even draw, could turn out multiple scripts at a time. Chuck Lorre, yes that Chuck Lorre, was one such guy who John K. bashed for writing scripts for the short lived The New Adventures of Beany and Cecil that were not suited for animation.

Rocky and Bullwinkle is another great example as it was animated entirely in Mexico and the US staff were never given the chance to correct any errors. They wouldn't find out until the episodes aired on TV. Nowadays overseas animators still have issues drawing properly that get fixed well before it makes it to TV in the US because the way networks air their shows is different then in Japan.
JulieYBM

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:00 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Thats fine and all, but I value consistent character models and art over fluid animation. It doesn't matter how fluid it is in the art looks like shit in the process.

Where does it actually look bad? We've established that the cut of Pain punching the ground is drawn in a grotesque manner to convey the character's disgusted reaction. It only "looks like shit" because it doesn't reflect another episode (no episode in the series looks the same as another), not because it's actually drawn poorly.

Charred Knight wrote:
One stylistic choice thats is constantly called horrible is Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood: Star of Milos. The character designer and chief animator. Kenichi Konishi who was the character designer and Chf outside of two scenes the movie itself looks great, but Ed has weird hair so the defining way people talk about the movie is that it looks horrible. The dramatic scene were they talk about Milos past? Doesnt matter Ed has weird hair. The epic finale involving a sword fight animated by Yoshimichi Kameda (the best animator for FMA Brotherhood), Lava, Wolf Chimera, and a guy's head exploding ? Doesnt matter the movie looks weird at times.

From what I remember hearing, Director Murata Kazuya specifically wanted the animation to be rough so that the animators' passion came through clearer. You can see this a lot with Kameda Yoshimichi's cuts. With Kameda you can feel a strong visual level of storytelling through his thick brush strokes. If Kameda isn't the best animator to work on the franchise I would say Tanaka Hironori is. What he did for the TV series is perhaps even more insane then Kameda, considering he was also working on other titles at the time.

wandering-dreamer wrote:
Oooh remembered another one, Birdy the Mighty: Decode. The series had really loose animation at some points to start with but apparently the tv release for one episode (looks like it was episode 20/season 2 episode 7 depending on how you count it) was really simplified and off-model. It got corrected for the DVDs so if you've seen the Funimation streams it looks more or less normal but I saw some comparison screenshots once and yikes, looked less like a stylistic choice and more like a budget cut. Can't seem to find them anymore though, anyone else know what I'm talking about?

Series Director Akane Kazuki (Tenkuu no Escaflowne) discussed that episode here.

Quote:
There were a lot of good parts, some honest parts, and also some reflections. For the good part, we presented animation's possibility other than current trendy style and people out there who actually enjoyed that. For reflection, maybe there is that energy overload to a point of recklessness. It's not ruining the drama, but seems bit overboard. (laughs) Especially the episode 7, isn't it? To me, I think the TV is something that you make things with trial and error. And I think it's okay to swing little wider. Except, we did retake on episode 7. Because DVD is something you can look back multiple times, I thought that I should be responsible for scenes where I could have firm control over direction.

Quote:
Again, there was a fuss about redoing episode 7. That is not denying episode 7 as TV animation, but just to distinguish each other through different media, right?

Quote:
Akane
That's exactly as you said. Originally, I wanted audience to enjoy the "live performance", so I think that animators' "recklessness" is okay to a certain point. Even though there is that ever-present demerit of insufficient time in TV animation production, creative development and agility are excellent. There is no doubt that excitement is born out of the insufficient time in TV animation.
Due to difference in media, there are many cases where both on-air and DVD episodes are shown together, but I want to clearly divide them. DVD, feature films, and etc are media where you gain fair understanding of the content to fit your taste.
However for TV, I think it has to be the place for new discovery. A place where the viewers discover new excitement, a place where creators discover new method. That's the "live feeling". For example, the on-air episodes 7 and 12, I think it's just too much to do the same thing over again. They were made with production atmosphere and vigor of that time. It's not something that you can make with calculation. I'm having a thought that audience should have the same breadth of creator's vigor. That way, they can enjoy the animation better. (laughs)

Yamashita Shingo and Ryou-chimo were still relatively young animators during Tetsuwan Birdy: Decode. They're the Series Director and Episode Directors on Yozakura Quartet: Hana no Uta and you can really see where their skills have flourished and diviersified since then.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:05 pm Reply with quote
JacobYBM wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
Thats fine and all, but I value consistent character models and art over fluid animation. It doesn't matter how fluid it is in the art looks like shit in the process.

Where does it actually look bad? We've established that the cut of Pain punching the ground is drawn in a grotesque manner to convey the character's disgusted reaction. It only "looks like shit" because it doesn't reflect another episode (no episode in the series looks the same as another), not because it's actually drawn poorly.

You're looking far too deep into a battle shonen fight. And just look at the article, thats where it looks bad. There are tons of frames that look hideous and totally off model. And thats not even mentioning the stupid direction of the episode that made him get hammered into the ground like a nail and do other Looney Toon esque things that completely ruined the immersion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTYNhgPdGQc

It was supposed to be one of the one most epic moments of the entire anime up to that point. Its like Goku vs. Frieza or Luffy vs Rob Lucci. But... we get this mess where the animators felt they were more important then the actual content.

Last edited by RyanSaotome on Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
grooven

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Eva's ear in Umineko TV anime Anime hyper
http://s761.photobucket.com/user/Lady_Bernkastel/media/EARWTF.jpg.html

Last edited by grooven on Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Frazmataz wrote:
My personal favourite is this shot from Macross where they clearly forgot to paint in Minmay's eyes:

Minmay, where did your soul go?! Shocked

That is just creepy, so creepy. Shocked She looks like she's been possesed or some monster fed on her eyeball. Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jkphantom

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for posting this. When I saw Shippuden Episode 167's animation, I couldn't quite take it seriously because of how goofy it looked. But after reading this, it opened my eyes to the meaning behind it, and the animators purposefully drew it that way to show the raging emotions going through the characters in those scenes.

So I suppose the next time I watch that episode, I should look more into the meaning behind why it was animated that way, and take it more seriously than I did the first time.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:17 pm Reply with quote
I am very sad that Mike did not seem to touch upon one of the most famous QUALITY moments in anime: the Tstsuwas Birdy Decode episode 7 faisco. Almost the half of the entire episode of full of QUALITY. Seems that some people here remember that though. There was a big fight between arty fans saying it was intentional and the ones saying they were just out of money.

Last edited by DmonHiro on Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:20 pm Reply with quote
In the case of the original Macross series, most of the animation errors happened in the episodes that were farmed out to other studios, particularly the studio, Anime Friend.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9