• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Samurai Flamenco Episodes 7-10 Streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:10 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
That said it is pretty easy to see why a viewer might give a pass for KLK and get table flipping angry with Samurai Flamenco if they didn't catch that an overly convenient doctor giving you super hero weapons was a sign that "shit is about to get crazy soon".

While the way they functioned in the series was unrealistic, note that people making complex stationery weapons is a real thing. Not a stretch to imagine some of these people finding the idea of being a stationery-based version of Q intriguing Smile.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Weaponised stationery is indeed silly, especially in the manner that Masayoshi was using it (nunchuck staplers for instance). But despite his gadgets being a tad unrealistic they were still within the general bounds of the show's world. I mean, if you pull up the SF gadgets you'd have to take Flamenco Girl to task for her ride; a pink hummer is probably the most conspicuous vehicle in all of Japan and would easily be tracked down.

Stapler nunchucks and pink hummers are ridiculous but viewers could accept them without a fuss. A guillotine gorilla on the other hand is beyond the pale when it comes to plausibility.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:45 am Reply with quote
Something to toss out is that Japan doesn't enjoy "grim storylines" with there masked heroes, it can be argued that the studio took the "safe route" in a scenario where "super villains exist" in place of say writing in a serial killer inspired by the Masayoshi's actions or possibly Samurai Flamenco taking on the Yakuza for some reason.

Writing in a Villain was inevitable otherwise the studio would have had an even slower pacing with regards to Masayoshi's development as Samurai Flamenco.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:19 am Reply with quote
You may have a point there, although if they were going to avoid grim storylines they might have been better to leave out the torture and decapitation.
thewizardninja

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:07 am Reply with quote
I think what some people are missing with the King Torture arc is that it's supposed to be flipping the show's original premise on its head - if there's someone out there who's inspired by tokusatsu show heroes to the point where they want to dress up as one and actually fight crime, then why can't there be someone inspired by its villains to dress up and do evil? I definitely think the transition could have been done a lot smoother (A LOT smoother) and what's really disappointing is it would have only taken some rumblings and rumors of such a group existing beforehand to do so (if they'd done so people might have even been able to accept guillotine gorillas!), but it was a good arc for what it was (A- though? No [expletive] way).

This next arc is really dumb though, I don't know what they think they're trying to accomplish anymore.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7 is where this show went from my favorite series of the season to a show I dropped with no regrets. The shift makes as much sense as like Breaking Bad's Walter White discovering a new super meth that gives him a Hollow Mask which he uses to battle a newly arrived alien threat.

Some people will like that and think, "whoa, they flipped the whole anti-hero thing on it's head! Awesome." Sadly, for me it would just be the show turning to shit, much like Samurai Flamenco.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Well, it seems like displeasure was shared by many, SamFlam bombed enormously hard.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:02 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Well, it seems like displeasure was shared by many, SamFlam bombed enormously hard.

I highly doubt SF was going to be a significant success even if it did follow the path of what people thought was going to be a "realistic series" (unless someone has records to disprove me and the Japanese audience secretly dug the hell out of the first 6 episodes).
Considering that Kill la Kill premiered at roughly the same time as SF, SF had a much slower start and if the audience wasn't caring for the main protagonists by the third episode the season would be dropped for such an audience well before Guillotine Gorilla.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:09 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:

I highly doubt SF was going to be a significant success even if it did follow the path of what people thought was going to be a "realistic series" (unless someone has records to disprove me and the Japanese audience secretly dug the hell out of the first 6 episodes).

What's the evidence that they openly hated the first six episodes?

Quote:
...SF had a much slower start and if the audience wasn't caring for the main protagonists by the third episode the season would be dropped for such an audience well before Guillotine Gorilla.

And Guillotine kicked most of the people that stuck around to the curb.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Hate is a strong word and openly disliking a series is not necessary in a series failure.

Compare this to Kill la Kill where it is made very clear that the show is about "over the top action" from the first few minutes of the premiere episode, even if SF followed a "real world" set up and didn't go into super villain territory I am more than certain the fan base for SF wouldn't be something noteworthy.

SF never had the material that would light the usual Japanese otaku's inner fire to go out and buy over priced blu-rays is pretty much what I am calling out in this case.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:45 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:

SF never had the material that would light the usual Japanese otaku's inner fire to go out and buy over priced blu-rays is pretty much what I am calling out in this case.
The "otaku oligarchy" doesn't get all hot and bothered when a moe idol group is revealed to have a member who is a hyper-moe quasi-yandere who has waifu-levels of devotion to the male lead and who caters to the tamakeri fetish?!

Well shoot, if only someone had told the creators of SF this in the beginning then we wouldn't have had to suffer through the utter absurdity of Flamenco Girl and her groin-stomping action. Maybe then we could have had the more realistic action-hero anime that they trolled us with. Though I do realize that the crappiness of her character made me realize that this show was not likely to be what I had expected, so that when the arc that this review is for came around I wasn't taken completely by surprise.

I'm just thankful that AoA decided to keep this one to themselves as I'd hate for Sentai or Funi to be stuck with this turd.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:20 pm Reply with quote
thewizardninja wrote:
I think what some people are missing with the King Torture arc is that it's supposed to be flipping the show's original premise on its head - if there's someone out there who's inspired by tokusatsu show heroes to the point where they want to dress up as one and actually fight crime, then why can't there be someone inspired by its villains to dress up and do evil?

I think most people realise that, they just didn't want to see it done with crazy magic technology and throwaway villains.
gedata

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
FenixFiesta wrote:

Quote:
...SF had a much slower start and if the audience wasn't caring for the main protagonists by the third episode the season would be dropped for such an audience well before Guillotine Gorilla.

well it already has bad sales. 281 sold for the 2nd BD late January. Pretty sure that covered some of the pre-Guillotine Gorilla stuff http://www.someanithing.com/?p=698
Rederoin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:34 pm Reply with quote
gedata wrote:
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
FenixFiesta wrote:

Quote:

well it already has bad sales. 281 sold for the 2nd BD late January. Pretty sure that covered some of the pre-Guillotine Gorilla stuff http://www.someanithing.com/?p=698

Low BD sales do not mean they hate the show.
Just Passing Through

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:56 am Reply with quote
rederoin wrote:
gedata wrote:
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
FenixFiesta wrote:

Quote:

Low BD sales do not mean they hate the show.

People not watching the show, does not mean that they hate the show. Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4