• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 1st 3 JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders Episodes English-Dubbed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bahamut623

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:08 am Reply with quote
bleachj0j wrote:
Is Cruncyroll announcing they acquired and are funding a dub themselves or are they just streaming it for a short period?

I'm more curious about this than the dub itself. I'm sure the dub will be just fine, but I'm wondering where it's coming from. Is Crunchyroll getting in on the dubbing game or are they just promoting a possible Viz release of the show?
gedata

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:48 am Reply with quote
Fun fact: Patrick Seitz already took the role of a British Vampire in the dub for Hellsing a dozen years back. His was the voice or Luke Valentine, who was already handled by Dio's seiyuu Koyasu in the Japanese dub for Hellsing.
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:40 am Reply with quote
BlueBitterCoffee wrote:
WHY ISNT THE FIRST SEASON DUBBED? do people just hate that season?

That's what I was wondering. Personally I was much more impressed by Season 1 than I have been by Stardust Crusaders so far.
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:12 am Reply with quote
I think they're dubbing Stardust Crusaders first in order to see if it's popular enough (it is the most popular JoJo part after all) and if it does well, there might be a high chance of Parts 1 & 2 getting the same treatment.... at least, I hope so.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Calamus

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:31 am Reply with quote
thekingsdinner wrote:
I think they're dubbing Stardust Crusaders first in order to see if it's popular enough (it is the most popular JoJo part after all)
Yeah, that's what Viz did with the manga, and completely unsurprisingly it did badly and we never got any of the other parts.

The thing about Stardust Crusaders is while it's the most popular part by far in Japan for reasons I cannot fathom, it's also one of the least popular with English speaking fans. Throw in the fact that a lot of it is based on the first two parts so people who aren't already fans will have a harder time getting into it and you have a recipe for failure.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:08 am Reply with quote
I am super-jazzed at this news because it causes me to make some assumptions:

1) I assume this means that JBA: SC has been licensed for the NA market.

2) If assumption #1 is correct, than I am going to further assume that JBA: PB & JBA: BT will also be licensed for the NA market since it would be INSANE to get part 3 and not get part 1 & 2.

3) I assume Viz is behind this since, as has already been pointed out, they have the manga in NA. If Neon Alley still existed, I would guess the dubs would have premiered there instead of CR.

4) Assuming assumptions 1 & 2 are correct, I assume my fellow manly men JBA addicts will buy up the JoJo releases like crazy, which, coupled with our manly men otaku brethren in Japan buying the releases there, means that ALL parts of JBA will eventually be animated and released in NA.

In short, this is the greatest thing that has ever happened in the history of the world. I'm always excited for the various announcements that come out of Anime Expo but this year the fever is going to be unbearable for me.
epicrevenge

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:53 am Reply with quote
Okay, I am in the middle of a class and I'm freaking out!!!! I need to calm down.

I just never thought it would get dubbed!! What about parts 1 & 2 though!? Whatever, I'm just really happy right now! Good news for JJBA! Fingers crossed for a UK release one day! The cast so far seems decent too, particularly DIO!! Very Happy
EyeOfPain

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:58 am Reply with quote
gedata wrote:
Fun fact: Patrick Seitz already took the role of a British Vampire in the dub for Hellsing a dozen years back. His was the voice or Luke Valentine, who was already handled by Dio's seiyuu Koyasu in the Japanese dub for Hellsing.

Seitz didn't take on a British accent for either portrayal of Luke Valentine, if that's what you were getting at.
doomydoomdoom

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:45 am Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
How exactly does one lose an accent after living in a country for many decades? My dad is Ukrainian and he's been living in Canada for 40 years and he still has his Ukrainian accent. It doesn't make sense.

I don't know, but it DOES happen. My mother knew a woman who married a rich Englishman and moved to England, years later my mother found out that the lady had developed a British accent. Gillian Anderson is also British and American (grew up in my home state of Michigan I believe) and speaks with a British accent in the UK, and an American accent over here. It's harder for Europeans, as English is so totally different and difficult for foreigners to master.

Anyhow, HOLY SHIT SC DUBBED!!! I don't know who these people are, but hopefully that means they were chosen based on talent and not "dub fan celebrity status". CAN'T WAIT!
gedata

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:41 am Reply with quote
EyeOfPain wrote:
gedata wrote:

Seitz didn't take on a British accent for either portrayal of Luke Valentine, if that's what you were getting at.

Yes I know, just thought it was a neat little coincidence
UkiyaSeed

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:45 pm Reply with quote
EyeOfPain wrote:
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
I hate to say this but I think the dub casting was a little reckless here. For starters, Dio and Joseph are British. Did both Seitz and Epcar manage to pull off convincing British accents for their appointed roles? If not, I'm not sure what to make of this.

Yeah, 'cause they've got flawless British accents in the Japanese. Oh, and Joseph was born in America; Jonathan and Erina were crossing the Atlantic at the very end.

I wouldn't mind seeing Battle Tendency get a dub, especially if NGP is involved, plus Joseph is my favorite Jojo (so far). Phantom Blood sets up the whole Dio/Joestar conflict, but it really isn't necessary to enjoy Stardust Crusaders, and is just sort of... mediocre.

But Joseph's father served the Royal British Air Force, which gives this impression that there is at least a period where Joseph grew up in England before moving to the United States with Erina.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:55 pm Reply with quote
EyeofPain wrote:
Yeah, 'cause they've got flawless British accents in the Japanese. Oh, and Joseph was born in America; Jonathan and Erina were crossing the Atlantic at the very end.

I wouldn't mind seeing Battle Tendency get a dub, especially if NGP is involved, plus Joseph is my favorite Jojo (so far). Phantom Blood sets up the whole Dio/Joestar conflict, but it really isn't necessary to enjoy Stardust Crusaders, and is just sort of... mediocre.

I've watched Phantom Blood and Battle Tendency 4 times already. From my viewing of the show, I can tell that the actors were conveying their tone to reflect the national settings that the story takes place, even if it was done to a ham-fisted level (Stroheim). Furthermore, I can hear that the actors were also trying to put in an accent to their characters, even if they were speaking Japanese. Case in point: Will A. Zeppeli. Just hearing him I could tell that his VO intended to give him a whimsical Italiant accent, even if the VO is Japanese. I conclude that if the Japanese actors are trying to convey accents on the characters, then I see no reason why the U.S. dub shouldn't. Oh, and for the record, Joseph, even as a young man, had a British accent. This was made evident when it was pointed out to him by a New York Coke vendor. As for Jonathan and Erina crossing the Atlantic, I'm not sure what your point is. spoiler[The ship exploded midway, Jonathan went down with the ship, and Erina escaped with Elizabeth and had to be rescued off the Canary Islands. So, this disproves accents? Confused ]
I also disagree with the argument saying that we need to forgo Phantom Blood and Battle Tendency for Stardust Crusaders. Both those stories are designed to make the audience give a damn about Dio AND Joseph. Otherwise, the audience will look at Dio as just a cookie-cutter villain who was placed for the sake of giving the story a villain and Joseph will be looked on as a crusty old man who loves to wreck polaroids and take the Lord's name in vain.
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:42 pm Reply with quote
gedata wrote:

Seitz also voiced Dracula in most of Castlevania games made in the 00's
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:10 pm Reply with quote
They're skipping part 1 and 2....why is 3 so special..? Can't wait to hear the changes they make to the dub due to copyright issues and laugh at the poor alternative names they choose
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:52 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:

How exactly does one lose an accent after living in a country for many decades? My dad is Ukrainian and he's been living in Canada for 40 years and he still has his Ukrainian accent. It doesn't make sense.

Since the FIFA World Cup is going on right now, watch the game interviews of USA national team coach and former great German striker Jürgen Klinsmann who after retirement moved to California to raise a family.

Besides, thought people don't like it when they try for fake accents. Want the seiyuu trying fake accents? Tokyo seiyuu do it with Kansai dialect, and Osaka people aren't pleased.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4