• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Koi Kaze -- how many people accept it?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ManSlayer07

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Ignoring all the bullshit above, I watched Koi Kaze earlier this summer. I knew what the series was about and was interested in seeing what made the show so popular. I wasn't disappointed with the series too much but it was pretty slow. I personally think the show is over-rated.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:14 pm Reply with quote
daxomni wrote:
In the end, even though the story was really engrossing and even though it gave me more to think about than most series do, I still do not agree that the end justified the means. This relationship is still potentially troubled on so many levels. Age difference, family relation, verbal and physical abuse, pseudo-masochism, and an unnatural level of secrecy just to name a few. The idea that the end was intended to represent some sort of 'happily ever after' is incredibly naïve in my opinion. The sister could have been happy without taking her crush to it's ultimate possible conclusion, just like any other girl. The idea that here brother was the only possible man for her just doesn't match what I believe or what I saw on the screen.

I'd comment on more than this part, but the crux of the matter is here. The part I bold-faced is entirely irrelevant. This story isn't about whether or not she could be happy any other way; it's about her relationship with her brother.

I agree with Pleroma; I don't see where you're getting a lot of this stuff out of this series. Granted, the relationship is definitely troubled; that's partly the point, as both age difference and family relations are BIG issues. There's no abuse involved at all, however, and I didn't see the ending as implying "happily ever after;" they were spoiler[contemplating suicide over having consummated their relationship] in the final episode, after all. Some people have interpreted the ending to mean spoiler[that this was just a one-shot thing and they would now go back to their normal lives], although I personally don't agree with that interpretation.

Koi Kaze - at least the one I saw - was very deliberately made not to pass judgment on the rightness or wrongness of Koshiro and Nanoka's relationship; that's left entirely to the viewer to decide.

Last edited by Key on Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:32 pm Reply with quote
daxomni wrote:
This whole post is one big spoiler. Consider yourself warned.

If only he had kindly let her know that he was unwilling to let it go any farther than just a simple crush and gave her some space without being a jerk about it, she would have probably been able to find another boy her age to get all crazy over. It's not like the brother was the only male in her life after all, and it wasn't until he started treating her like shit and making a fuss about her being around other boys before she became miserable. The fact that she was willing to stick around and take such abuse without losing faith in her sick, abusive brother doesn't bode well for her own mental state either.

didn't Kou's behavior towards her in that way was a way to make her forget him because he couldnt talk to her about that. becasue he couldnt convey his feelings he pushed his aside and began to treat nano badly for her own good?

and nano. I just think she's so deeply in love it clouded her mind away from all his faults. didn't she think that even though its wrong or although he's a jerk "I love onichan no matter what!". was that going through her head?

sometimes in real life love cna cloud judgment and reality. is that why you say it doesnt bode well for her mental state?
Key

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Sorry, this was a double-post.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
daxomni

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I'd comment on more than this part, but the crux of the matter is here. The part I bold-faced is entirely irrelevant. This story isn't about whether or not she could be happy any other way; it's about her relationship with her brother.

spoiler[There is no possible way I could have watched Koi Kaze without wondering what it might have been like without them going all the way and what might have happened if only the brother had been able to control his anger, self loathing, and hidden desires. The series does an excellent job of showing us what’s going on with the adult brother, but leaves a lot to the imagination when it comes to the kid sister. I don’t agree that the choices were limited to either feeling miserable or going all the way. Taking that sort of view seems overly simplistic to me.
]

Key wrote:
I agree with Pleroma; I don't see where you're getting a lot of this stuff out of this series.

Well, at least you’re civil about it. It seems odd to me that nobody thinks the line was about to be crossed even before he found out it was his sister. I put ‘date’ in quotes because obviously it’s not a real date. However, it’s not exactly a typical encounter either. He initiates the encounter for no obvious reason at the time. He even gets sick over and over but he keeps forcing himself to continue on with it. He also gets surprisingly emotional even though at the time he has no idea that they’re anything other than complete strangers.

Apparently I’m wrong to assume he was chasing his desire for a romantic involvement with young girls. If that’s the case, then can you please tell me why you think he initiated the encounter and why he kept forcing himself to keep going along with it? Or why he agonized so much over the fact that she was his sister and relatively little over the fact that she was still just a kid? In fact, on more than one occasion he seems to single out the fact that they’re relatives as the reason he’s so confused and despondent.

I also think a different line was crossed when he started acting out toward his sister as a means of trying to cover up his own desires and indiscretions. His abusive side may not have been highly unique or especially prolific or even terribly damaging to his kid sister, but it did show us that she was unable to do much about it. Perhaps it’s just a reflection of Japanese culture or maybe it’s meant to show us that she’s not mentally strong enough to see just how much is at stake.

Key wrote:
Granted, the relationship is definitely troubled; that's partly the point, as both age difference and family relations are BIG issues. There's no abuse involved at all, however, and I didn't see the ending as implying "happily ever after;" they were spoiler[contemplating suicide over having consummated their relationship] in the final episode, after all. Some people have interpreted the ending to mean spoiler[that this was just a one-shot thing and they would now go back to their normal lives], although I personally don't agree with that interpretation

spoiler[We actually seem to be mostly in agreement on this, except that I disagree that the brother was never abusive and I also hold him entirely responsible for bringing his kid sister to the brink of suicide and choosing to solidify a romantic relationship that is likely to be very rough going and possibly end very badly.] If you truly love someone, really honestly love them, then shouldn’t you be willing to sacrifice short-term happiness for long term health?

Key wrote:
Koi Kaze - at least the one I saw - was very deliberately made not to pass judgment on the rightness or wrongness of Koshiro and Nanoka's relationship; that's left entirely to the viewer to decide.

Exactly, and in my view the actions of the brother were selfish, immoral, and ill-intentioned from the beginning. spoiler[I got the feeling that he was perfectly fine seeing his kid sister as a target for conquest if only she was somebody else’s kid sister. His genuine love for her did eventually materialize, but his innate desire for the little girl he originally thought he knew nothing about seemed to be there right from the beginning. Once he realized who she was he was filled with despair, but it honestly seemed like this was more out of self pity than a genuine desire to see his own sister happy and healthy.]
Key

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:02 pm Reply with quote
daxomni wrote:
It seems odd to me that nobody thinks the line was about to be crossed even before he found out it was his sister.

That's why I mentioned that age was one of the BIG issues involved, as even the initial relationship was inappropriate based solely on that. (Don't know about "age of consent" laws in Japan or other countries, but in most States in the U.S. Nanoka would be called "jailbait.")

Quote:
I put ‘date’ in quotes because obviously it’s not a real date. However, it’s not exactly a typical encounter either. He initiates the encounter for no obvious reason at the time. He even gets sick over and over but he keeps forcing himself to continue on with it. He also gets surprisingly emotional even though at the time he has no idea that they’re anything other than complete strangers.

Oh, I don't think it was for "no obvious reason." He was coming off a busted relationship and saw an opportunity to spend time with a cute (albeit underaged) girl. A guy who's at emotional loose ends would find that a hard thing to pass up.

I also didn't find it at all odd that he broke down in front of a stranger. The timing and circumstances were exactly right for that to be perfectly plausible.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:57 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Richard J. wrote:
When a person's life ends, so does their suffering. A person left alive after rape suffers for the rest of their lives.

Your point of view can be easily interpreted as

1. A rapist-murderer is more merciful than a rapist, because the former ends victim's suffering. I wish you didn't really think that way. Rolling Eyes

2. Victims of rape could end their suffering by either ending their own lives or hide the fact and pretent as if they had never been raped. Similar thoughts have created additional victims because the criminal is still at large.
Sorry I haven't responded to this sooner, but I was out of town trying to get an apartment ready for my return to college life.

As to your first statement, I'm going to take the eye roll to mean that you were being highly sarcastic. In case you weren't, however, I will say this: A person who commits either rape or murder is not and can not be viewed as merciful. By the mere comission of these acts, they show themselves to be without mercy. Mercy is not eliminating a witness.

To your second point: As someone who has lost several family members to suicide, I think I can speak about this issue honestly. When a person no longer believes that it is possible to be happy or to have a life worth living, they kill themselves. When a person is suffering and unable to overcome it and they kill themselves it is a terrible thing. It leaves behind a lot of people who suffer for the rest of their lives wondering if they could have done something more or said something to stop it from happening.

For the rest of my life, I get to wonder if I could have prevented my uncle's suicide. I know I didn't cause his depression but I was one of the last people to see him alive. Do you have any concept as to how that effects a person, knowing that they might have said or done something without even knowing it to cause a person to kill themselves?

I think suicide is cowardly and an act of weakness. When I was suffering and hated myself, I never considered this option for the sole reason that I didn't want to give the people who were making my life miserable the satisfaction of my death.

And in my opinion, a person who refuses to come forward about a crime becomes complicit to future crimes involving their attacker. Denying that something happened only makes a victim's life even worse, because they can't forget and by choosing to pretend it didn't happen, they prevent others from helping and allow a predator to continue to operate freely.

This is an extremely selfish choice, although I can understand it given that there is still an enormous stigma attached to victims of rape. It wasn't that long ago in this country that rape victims weren't even considered victims. In some countries rape victims are punished for having been raped. (Mostly the extremist nations of the Middle East.)

daxomni: Nanoka was 15 at the start of the anime, which is practically the standard age of anime characters lately. While this is under the age of consent here (I've been told it's 18 in Japan too) it's not really THAT young. By the end of the anime she is at least 16 since she has a birthday (in the manga, I believe it's stated that she's 17 by the end.)

Sixteen in only two years below the age of consent here and seems too hold to really be considered "cradle robbing"

Also, I think what led Koshiro to connect with Nanoka in the way he did was that moment on the train platform when he was trying to just give back her train pass. When the cherry blossums blew by, and she smiled so happily, it's clear that in that moment he felt something. The guy basically had never really felt much of anything and then, for some reason, this girl's smile brought out emotion.

Just a chance encounter that was repeated when he met her again. (Unless the scanlation I read was badly translated, Chidori actually encouraged Koshiro to ask Nanoka out in the whole scene where he gives Nanoka the passes. The scene comes across less as an invite to go WITH him and more like a "I don't need these but I'm a nice guy so why don't you have them" in the manga.)

So, basically, he connected with someone on a level that he hadn't in the past and once that connection was established, he couldn't shut it off even when he found out that she was his sister. It's implied that Nanoka is basically Koshiro's first love.
Stupidman007

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Here's what I think about the situation in this series. I don't find the age situation to be such a problem, for this is anime, and there are many other occasions from many different anime series that portray relationships or at least ideas of relationships between an "underaged" girl and an older man. If this was a real life situation, it would be much harder to comprehend, but in the anime world, where romance is so dramaticized, I can't see the age situation in Koi Kaze to really mean anything. For this reason, I believe, is why we never see Koshiro or even Chidori to ponder over this, and that they only thought about the fact that Koshiro and Nanoka are siblings. Instead of making this a much too complicated love story between two people with problems above problems, I feel that the creators only thought about making this series to portray the sibling romance relationship, and only that. Everything else in here are simply factors to make their sibling relationship seem more realistic and plausible.

The interesting thing with this series is, as many of you might have noted, Koshiro's character and personality. Throughout the series, I wasn't able to completely understand Koshiro. Koshiro is weak, he realizes the problems, and even thought about doing the "right" thing, but never does. Now, if he had made to firm decision to accept Nanoka's feelings at the start, and not thought about what other might think, how would you guys as the viewers feel about this story?

I agree with Key that Koi Kaze is deliberately made to not pass any judgement on whether Koshiro and Nanoka's relationship is right or wrong. However, this is what made it somewhat painful for me to watch this series. As someone who really don't mind incest, or an age gap in relationships, it would've been much easier for me to watch this series had they actually been partial towards accepting it. However, as it is, Koi Kaze raised quite a few interesting arguments and points, and I think that's what the creators had in mind.

My take on sibling love - I accept it.
What I think about the series - interesting topic, but I didn't really like the way it was done.
daxomni

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:32 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Oh, I don't think it was for "no obvious reason." He was coming off a busted relationship and saw an opportunity to spend time with a cute (albeit underaged) girl. A guy who's at emotional loose ends would find that a hard thing to pass up. I also didn't find it at all odd that he broke down in front of a stranger. The timing and circumstances were exactly right for that to be perfectly plausible.

Well, maybe in your life you've seen grown men reach out to little girls when they're on the ropes and maybe they even got all sappy about it, but this has never happened to me or anyone I know. Bumping into a young girl is "hard to pass up" simply because you've been dumped? Please. I'm about the most liberal guy I know and yet I find that line of thinking to be positively creepy.

I also still find it very odd how so many people focused on the incest part and not so much the age part. A sister and brother couple is very rare (at least based on folks I know who have a sister or brother) but so long as they're similar in age I suppose I don't really have that big of a problem with it. It's the fact that it's the brother who is fully matured and yet he's the one who shows the least amount of maturity between them.

I guess what it all boils down to is that I was rooting for the sister but not the brother. She simply deserved better than her creepy and abusive brother and I was actually disappointed when she settled for the guy who wanted her for all the wrong reasons. The presumption that he had grown to love her over time still didn't sell me on on the idea that he deserved her. If he had been kind instead of abusive and shown an honest desire to see her happy at the expense of his own fragil heart then maybe I would have felt very differently. But, as-is, he came across like scum while she seemed like a fairly normal girl who just happened to be in rather extraordinary circumstances.

The critical moment for me was when they were considering suicide. I was so concerned that she was going to lose her life just because her twisted brother couldn't decide how to handle his own feelings. I really wanted someone to slap him around and get him to snap out of it. By the time anybody realized what was really going on he was already trapped by his own personal desires. His coworker tried to talk some sense into him, but he wouldn't hear it, and his family seemed to understand something was up but still refused to probe the issue.

The ending was truly great though, with no obvious answers and plenty of additional questions. Sometimes that's a bad thing, but for this series it was perfect.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:58 am Reply with quote
daxomni wrote:
Well, maybe in your life you've seen grown men reach out to little girls when they're on the ropes and maybe they even got all sappy about it, but this has never happened to me or anyone I know. Bumping into a young girl is "hard to pass up" simply because you've been dumped? Please. I'm about the most liberal guy I know and yet I find that line of thinking to be positively creepy.

I like Richard J.'s explanation on that part better than my own, so check out the second half of his post again.

As for the rest, I'm still not sure where you're getting this "abusive" stuff from. Granted, Koshiro certainly isn't being the adult he should be in the situation, and I could certainly see how he could be looked at as "creepy," but abusive?

To look at one comment you made:

Quote:
If he had been kind instead of abusive and shown an honest desire to see her happy at the expense of his own fragil heart then maybe I would have felt very differently. But, as-is, he came across like scum while she seemed like a fairly normal girl who just happened to be in rather extraordinary circumstances.

There was too much mutual attraction here for all the blame to go on Koshiro. He deserves the lion's share for being the adult in the situation, but I thought the series made it pretty clear that he wasn't manipulating or taking advantage of Nanoka. Although she might not have understood her feelings at first, the series focuses on her enough to make it clear that she also felt the connection and was attracted to him in a way that was less than proper, and maintained that despite Koshiro's erratic behavior towards her. Remember, spoiler[she was the one who sought him out when he tried to be the adult and make a clean separation, she was the one who took the initiative to confront Kaname when she thought that Kaname was trying to be Koshiro's girlfriend (and Kaname came away convinced that this wasn't a one-sided problem),] and spoiler[ she was the one who first proposed suicide as an option (though I had to think the idea was already on Koshiro's mind, given the nature of Japanese culture).]

But this debate is one of the great things about Koi Kaze: it takes such a neutral viewpoint on what's going on that it's more open to personal interpretation than any other anime series since Neon Genesis Evangelion, and for entirely different reasons than NGE. That's just part of what makes it, in my view, one of the best-written anime series ever. In something like 170 reviews I've done for this site, volume 2 of this series is the only one I've ever given an A+ for writing. That's why I've been such a strong advocate for this series since it first came out, and why I'm happy to see that Bamboo also spoke of it in such glowing terms in her column.
Steve Berry

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:22 am Reply with quote
I just wanted to say that there was, at one point, a fascinating thread on incest and pedophilia here on ANN, and all it's moral/phsychological/interpersonal implications. Link-- animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=21213&highlight=incest There's a lot to be said for keeping family relationships non-romantic beyond the whole scientific genetics arguement-- there's typically a lot of very complicated power dynamics going on, whether it is parent/child or sibling/sibling oriented. The idea that we don't allow incest in most cultures isn't just because of genetics-- that just what's sort of put out there as the easy explanation.

And the same really goes for age differences too, when one of the participants is "underaged" (however you want to define that, depending on your country) and not as experienced as the other. Earlier, someone pointed out that the age difference between someone 56 remarrying someone 26 wasn't that big of a deal (although there may be some issues there for them), but honestly, somehow using that as your example to justify a relationship with someone underaged isn't really logical. As I'm sure most people would agree, the difference of 5 years when you're under 20 is vastly more important that the difference of 5 years when you're over 20. The question isn't really about age differneces, but the actual respective ages of each of the people-- if one is, say, 25, and the other is 15, well then, yeah, there are typically going to be a lot of complicated issues going on there, ones that are going to be different than the previous 26/56 example (although, honestly, there could easily be lots of issues there too-- the age gap is so vast).

Now, perhaps none of these things apply to KK-- perhaps, by the end, she's just old enough to be acceptable to some people, and perhaps they dont' have a typical brother-sister relationship, and perhaps he's not the more mature of the two, who would take the responsibility upon himself to end a relationship most likely doomed for failure and heartache. STILL, to suggest that there's nothing "wrong" or complicated about incest or dating underaged people when you're older just implies (IMO) that you haven't thought about the subject enough. Those are loaded actions, whether or not you agree or disagree with them on a moral basis-- they're generally not healthy. Perhaps the people in KK will beat those odds, but it's untruthful, to me, to lay out broad statements about incest and underaged romance, when you're really talking about the success of the relationship of just those two protagonists.

Just my two cents.
Pleroma

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:24 pm Reply with quote
While obviously such situations should be examined on a case by case basis, a point can be made for the civil Libertarian perspective (which I mostly adhere to) that as long as an action is by consent of all involved parties it is immoral to disallow or condemn it. From there the only point of issue whould be age of consent, where In my opinion biological maturity should be used as the benchmark and cases only investigated if there are claims of abuse.

PS: One detail I really liked about the manga was spoiler[Kohiro telling his mother he will never marry and Nonoka finding out later and then playfully teasing Kohiro about guys usually telling the girl when they propose. In other words, his promise makes a happily ever after ending more likely Smile]
blackmage

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:16 pm Reply with quote
well i dont think its wrong to love someone even if its by blood.the only thing i dont like is the fact that the children they have will be mentally challenged or retarded as some would say
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I like Richard J.'s explanation on that part better than my own, so check out the second half of his post again.
Thank you! Coming from a skilled reviewer, I take that as a major compliment.
Pleroma wrote:
While obviously such situations should be examined on a case by case basis, a point can be made for the civil Libertarian perspective (which I mostly adhere to) that as long as an action is by consent of all involved parties it is immoral to disallow or condemn it. From there the only point of issue whould be age of consent, where In my opinion biological maturity should be used as the benchmark and cases only investigated if there are claims of abuse.

PS: One detail I really liked about the manga was spoiler[Kohiro telling his mother he will never marry and Nonoka finding out later and then playfully teasing Kohiro about guys usually telling the girl when they propose. In other words, his promise makes a happily ever after ending more likely Smile]
On sexual issues, I take basically the same view. The Libertarians have it right there in my opinion. I also agree with the bilogical maturity instead of chronological age being used, as mental maturity has little if anything to do with physical maturity. Biology and genetics are used as "rational" reasons for all sorts of laws and legal rulings so why are age of consent laws based on an arbitrarily assigned age?

I wish the anime had included that bit of the manga. Or at the very least that last scene where spoiler[Nanoka turns around after Koshiro yells out that he loves her and she smiles so happily.]
Steve Berry

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Ah, but that point of view begs the question-- When do you decide someone is physically mature? When the can have kids of their own? When they have boobs? When they get pubic hair? I mean, seriously, that's rather vague. To say that physical maturity is when a person should be able to give consent doesn't really take into account the far more critical personal/psychological development that occurs in the teens. Are you suggesting that girl that has her period and could get pregnant at 12 is physically mature, and therefore capable of deciding whether it's to her benefit to date/have sex/fall in love with a man who is 30? I can't tell-- from your post (and some of the others) that seems to be the point you're making. Perhaps we simply disagree on that point, and that's all there is to say about it.

But I just wanted to make clear that I never was talking about the law, or morality. I was simply stating that the suggestion that incest and sex with minors is no big deal is a little skewed (IMO), as often (almost always) these actions have major issues that come along with them- power dynamics are very distorted and there are a lot of psychological implications that tend to not make it a healthy choice. I never made any statement about whether it should be legal or not, or whether you were going to go to hell or not, for doing those things. That wasn't my point. Smile

(Although there are fine arguements for why those laws are there-- namely to protect people who are the victims of incest, rape, etc. Of course, the big question is whether it's to the betterment of society to help and protect all those people who would be victims of those who are older, more self-confident and self-assured, and are in positions of power, versus, as an example, taking freedom from those few, intensely rare circumstances where a "healthy" type of incest might occur. Personally, I vote for making incest a socially not-ok thing, as it tends to keep families functioning better, as I'm sure any victim of rape or incest would reiterate. But perhaps you think otherwise.)

Of course, loving someone is a wonderful thing-- I'm simply stating that there are reasons those types of actions-- like, say, killing people (when you're not in the army-- now there's some irony for you), or screaming at strangers on the street for no reason, are generally deemed unacceptable by society for the general benefit of society. Besides which, beyond laws and morality-- those actions tend to not be to the benefit of the person acting. It just seemed like some broad, blanket statements were being made about incest and whatnot, when the discussion would be more honest if it just focused on the specifics of the brother and sister in KK.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8