• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Rooster Teeth's RWBY Heads To Japan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jajanken

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
For me: anime = Japanese animation. RWBY is not Japanese animation, so it's not anime. However, it is made using anime *styling*, so I would be happy to call RWBY anime-styled animation.
Yeah that's exactly what I meant I don't know if people got the wrong message. They probably didn't read my whole thing. I gotta stop making these messages long.

Last edited by Jajanken on Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jajanken

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:02 pm Reply with quote
jkphantom wrote:
*sigh* weaboos Laughing

For the record I'm not a fat westerner locked up in his room. I am a well dignified asian anime fan who can't stand weaboos. I'm not holding anything against you though because I admit that using a japanese word was pretty stupid but I was trying to get the point across. Anyways no hard feelings, that message was my honest opinion.
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:10 pm Reply with quote
RWBY is anime.
RWBY is anime.
RWBY is anime.
RWBY is anime.
RWBY is anime.

Copy-pasted to run that very concept into the minds of many here.

Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
For me: anime = Japanese animation. RWBY is not Japanese animation, so it's not anime. However, it is made using anime *styling*, so I would be happy to call RWBY anime-styled animation.

Responses like this has gotten old for a long time now. It is a fine example labeled as the "Weaboo Answer". I remember arguing this concept around here, till people were blue to the face 6 years ago. The notion of the "American-made anime" has been around for many years now. All it took was a stalwart, execution, and the market to accept it as anime.

I'll admit. RWBY's first season last year was somewhat lackluster; but this year, the new season is a lot better.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Does calling it a cartoon demean it somehow?

Honest question.
amagee

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:20 pm Reply with quote
I think the whole issue people are arguing here is best solved using the fluidity of the English language.

Just as the word "tea" in English can refer to the actual leaf for making the drink and or any liquid into something has been steeped - how you can have raspberry leaf tea for example - there is no reason that the word "anime" shouldn't be given the same freedom.

"Anime" can have two definitions:

1. Animation produced in Japan

2. Animated works produced in the style of Japanese animation.

Now I personally think of anime almost strictly in the first definition myself but it would be simple-minded of me to demand that everyone follow my feelings.

The word "anime" comes from another society taking an English word and messing with it so why can't English take it back and make it work.
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Are the people who feel like there's a huge stigma if they just call RWBY a cartoon. No, it's not a cartoon, it's anime! No, no it isn't. I feel the same way about people who refuse to call their comics well...comics and insist that they're called manga. Dude, it's a comic, and it's nothing to be ashamed of. Your attitude though, that is something to be ashamed of.

I agree, I have noticed people want to use the word anime to describe something they like because it's seen as cool. The word cartoon brings images of kids shows like Adventure Time and Phineas and Ferb, so people don't want their show which they consider better associated with those. So they call stuff like Avatar or RWBY anime. They hold the word as a kind of status symbol rather than its definition of animation from Japan.

There's no reason for these shows to be called anime unless people are ashamed of saying they like a cartoon. Or perhaps they call it anime so they can talk about it on anime sites rather than having to go to a cartoon forum to discuss it.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:

Honest question.

It shouldn't. But it does and I kind of made my point earlier in the thread, implying why that's the case so I'm not going to bother repeating myself.
michaelarroyo01

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:37 pm Reply with quote
I've been a fan of anime for years. In that time, I've heard both sides of the "What is Anime?" debate, and I've come to a very clear realization:

spoiler[I just don't care anymore . . .

Seriously, why are we wasting our time on a forum trying to convince people who we'll never meet that our opinions are somehow better than theirs?]
Jajanken

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:

Honest question.

It actually does when there is no need for it. I believe people have this notion of anime is always better than cartoons which isn't always. It's possible that this is why people refer to RWBY as an anime.
Jajanken

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:42 pm Reply with quote
KyuuA4 wrote:
RWBY is anime.
RWBY is anime.
RWBY is anime.
RWBY is anime.
RWBY is anime.

Copy-pasted to run that very concept into the minds of many here.

Responses like this has gotten old for a long time now. It is a fine example labeled as the "Weaboo Answer". I remember arguing this concept around here, till people were blue to the face 6 years ago. The notion of the "American-made anime" has been around for many years now. All it took was a stalwart, execution, and the market to accept it as anime.

I'll admit. RWBY's first season last year was somewhat lackluster; but this year, the new season is a lot better.

The fact that you've been arguing this for 6 years and then calling someone a weaboo is just.....
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:27 pm Reply with quote
michaelarroyo01 wrote:
I've been a fan of anime for years. In that time, I've heard both sides of the "What is Anime?" debate, and I've come to a very clear realization:

spoiler[I just don't care anymore . . .

Seriously, why are we wasting our time on a forum trying to convince people who we'll never meet that our opinions are somehow better than theirs?]

Haha, dude. That is some enlightening sh*t right there.

And also, how does being an "anime" or not in any way affect the quality of said show? I mean, I've always loved Avatar for its deep world and characters, I couldn't care less if it's considered an anime by the elite or not. I do know one thing. it's a lot better than many of the "true anime" I've seen over the years. Maybe that says something. I also love Adventure Time, and clearly nobody is going to try to argue that its an anime. Just goes to show, the land of origin doesn't matter, but the characters and story instead are what is most important.
Sandstar

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:29 pm Reply with quote
sirdano1 wrote:
Quote:
The series will be dubbed in Japanese

Thank God. I liked the silent previews when they first came out but couldn't stand the awful voice acting in the later ones.

You're not going to watch it in the original language? But how will you understand the subtle nuances that the original language provides, and can never, ever hope to be captured by foreigners that are dubbing it afterwards, and have little to no concept of the culture that created it?
neonie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:53 pm Reply with quote
"American-made anime"

Lol no.

Sorry Matt, but no.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:55 pm Reply with quote
KyuuA4 wrote:
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:

Responses like this has gotten old for a long time now. It is a fine example labeled as the "Weaboo Answer".

You can label it however you want, but it isn't going to change my mind. It has nothing to do with me being a "Weaboo", because I'm not. Not even close.

*For me* anime has a specific definition which I have accepted and which I provided above. RWBY doesn't meet that definition. That's all there is to it. Nothing else. If you don't agree, that's fine: you can define anime the way you want, and I will do the same.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:05 pm Reply with quote
RWBY isn't anime for the same reason Gold Digger, Ninja High School, and Usagi Yojimbo isn't 'manga'.

But that's not going to stop them marketing it as such, and continuing to perpetuate the notion that anime is a 'style'.

The whole idea that calling something a 'cartoon' is a derogatory comment is pretty stupid. Unfortunately logic is a bit lost of some folks. I have no problem calling stuff like The Venture Brothers, Archer, The Legend of Korra, or Batman the Animated Series, 'cartoons. I mean, what else would you call them? Animated Shows? Yeah. But that's a bit of a mouth full.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9