• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Megumi Han: Hunter x Hunter Anime to End at Episode 148

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KH91

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:09 pm Reply with quote
But its not a turning point Togashi's hiatus plans considering more DQ games are coming out.
ParkerALx

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Lain'sHairline wrote:
Incorrect. 2 scenes of drama isn't dark, no matter how worthy. If you truly believe that's dark then you either haven't seen the original series, read the Manga from cover to cover, or haven't seen any anime like Beserk, Claymore, Cowboy Bebop, or Elfen Lied etc not that HxH is anywhere near those but it clearly has undertones of the same nature in the source material.

I personally found the 1999 Hunter x Hunter anime to be overly melodramatic and not at all consistent with the tone of Togashi's writing. As a big fan of the manga, I'd take MadHouse's adaptation any day of the week. The 1999 show has its moments, undoubtedly, and offers solid entertainment on its own, but it doesn't hold a candle to the standards of the source material.

Only two dramatic scenes in the Chimera Ant Arc? I can list ten right off the top of my head:

spoiler[
1. Kurt and Reina getting eaten by the Queen and their mother's subsequent mourning
2. Pitou "interrogating" Pokkle
3. The "Human Dog" scene at the NGL base
4. The Queens death and Colt's emotional response
5. Killua's near-death experience after fighting the Ortho siblings
6. Ikalgo's intense confrontation with Welfin
7. Netero sacrificing his life to defeat Meruem
8. Gon's mental breakdown before fighting Pitou
9. Welfin's confrontation with Meruem
10. Meruem's final moments with Komugi]

How is MadHouse's adaptation of the Chimera Ant arc any less dramatic than the manga? It was practically done frame-by-frame in terms of accuracy.

Last edited by ParkerALx on Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:27 pm; edited 4 times in total
The_way67

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Is it because One Piece gets like ratings numbers of solid 7.0-8.0+ every week, and because their anime is spaced out very well done that it can continue?

I suppose if Detective Conan didn't get good ratings it wouldn't still be on.

But, I wish HxH would have at least another year-50 episode run. But alas when you have a manga writer that has no care or loyalty to his fans....you have no material at all to work with anymore.
Uppa

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:40 pm Reply with quote
ParkerALx wrote:

I personally found the 1999 Hunter x Hunter anime to be overly melodramatic and not at all consistent with the tone of Togashi's writing. As a big fan of the manga, I'd take MadHouse's adaptation any day of the week.

I'm totally okay with this view of things and I wouldn't dream to fulminate against it. I would just like to weigh in and say that, also as a huge fan of the manga, I would personally find myself of the opposite opinion, finding the 1999 version (up until Greed Island: Final, at least) to be more consonant with Togashi's style of writing.

Of course--and I really need to make myself clear here--I make no bid to say any side of the argument is wrong. I worry that time so often frustrates adequate opportunity to explain this properly. I just wanted to chime in and say that I think that an argument can exist on the level of tone, and that I do not believe it to be a matter of fact over opinion. (Not to say that anyone was implying otherwise.)

I think I just wanted to let it be known that another side exists, really….
Araki

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:40 pm Reply with quote
The_way67 wrote:
Is it because One Piece gets like ratings numbers of solid 7.0-8.0+ every week, and because their anime is spaced out very well done that it can continue?

I suppose if Detective Conan didn't get good ratings it wouldn't still be on.

But, I wish HxH would have at least another year-50 episode run. But alas when you have a manga writer that has no care or loyalty to his fans....you have no material at all to work with anymore.

Yeah, i think that's part of it. Had HxH remained in the old morning timeslot the odds of getting a filler to buy time would be higher, even considering Togashi's unreliable schedule. No way they would do that for a late night series.
PipingHotTea

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Such a shame that it has to end (can't really say 'end' more like a hiatus) but it's for the best since I don't want the series to end up with huge doses of filler. I just got into HxH recently and I'm loving every second of it. I'll probably hit on the 1999 version (I only saw bits and pieces of it) later once I finish the newer version. Two things that I missed a lot from the 1999 version, were the ops/eds and the edge that some of the scenes that the 2011 version doesn't have. But the op/eds that the 2011 are excellent and finally able to see Chimera Ant Arc animated sealed the deal.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Its good that it ends at 148, this series is perfect the way it is. Let more material grow. It can only get better from here. Maybe even DL all the 1080p versions until it gets licensed. It wont be the same without HxH on a weekly. Routine over. Scans views will most likely jump up though.

Grim reality : Togashi isn't known for completing his series.
patrick.enfield.9

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:20 pm Reply with quote
It was obvious. Togashi is a genius and his Manga is one of the rgeatest and deepest stories a japanese black and white comic series could ever have. However I always prefer stuff being animated, as its the media I simply prefer. You know...people actually moving aroiund in colour and all.

Madhouse did a good job on HxH. They left out some moments which was understandable, except for this one obvious wtf moment where you realize they skipt THE ENTIRE FRICKEN KAITO SCENE !!! WTF !!!

Other than that, the music, animation, voice acting everything was high quality. Higher quality than Naruto shippuden, ALmost as high quality as Bleach and much much much much much better quality than one piece after the time skip
ParkerALx

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Uppa wrote:
ParkerALx wrote:

I personally found the 1999 Hunter x Hunter anime to be overly melodramatic and not at all consistent with the tone of Togashi's writing. As a big fan of the manga, I'd take MadHouse's adaptation any day of the week.

I'm totally okay with this view of things and I wouldn't dream to fulminate against it. I would just like to weigh in and say that, also as a huge fan of the manga, I would personally find myself of the opposite opinion, finding the 1999 version (up until Greed Island: Final, at least) to be more consonant with Togashi's style of writing.

Of course--and I really need to make myself clear here--I make no bid to say any side of the argument is wrong. I worry that time so often frustrates adequate opportunity to explain this properly. I just wanted to chime in and say that I think that an argument can exist on the level of tone, and that I do not believe it to be a matter of fact over opinion. (Not to say that anyone was implying otherwise.)

I think I just wanted to let it be known that another side exists, really….

Sure, I definitely understand where you're coming from. I will readily admit that the 1999 series has many appealing qualities, namely a stylish moody look, somber tone and solid hand-drawn animation. I personally think it takes way too many liberties with the source material (such as portraying Killua as a emotionless shell for much of the Hunter Exam and rearranging events during the Heavens Arena Arc), but your opinion on the matter is just as valid as mine.

Last edited by ParkerALx on Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
ParkerALx

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:35 pm Reply with quote
patrick.enfield.9 wrote:
Madhouse did a good job on HxH. They left out some moments which was understandable, except for this one obvious wtf moment where you realize they skipt THE ENTIRE FRICKEN KAITO SCENE !!! WTF !!!

The animators did get around to covering the Kaito scene via flashback later on. It wasn't nearly as effective, but Madhouse didn't ignore the scene outright.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:

Grim reality : Togashi isn't known for completing his series.

what? he is known for completing his series? Just because there is one on going, it doesn't mean he didn't completed his other series.
example, YuYu Hakusho, Level E.

This is nothing like Golgo 13, Hajime No Ippo, Detective Conan.
HxH is more like Inuyasha, Naruto, Dragon Ball, ect, they have an ending. Rather you like the ending or not is a different story.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:49 pm Reply with quote
king: Yeah, there's a reason Naruto's more popular than Hunter x Hunter, even if it's not as 'edgy'. Personally, I got more mileage out of Level E, and it would've been nice if Togashi went in that direction for his later work; but dragged-out shonen dick waving contests are what sell over there, so...
Angel'sArcanum

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Chimera Ant is a dark arc in nature, but I guess Lain's argument is that Madhouse may not have made it as visceral as they could. With the glossier visuals, chipper (and recycled) opening theme and preview tune (seriously, why did it take them 136 episodes to change it?) the odd directorial choice and perhaps slightly underwhelming yet consistent animation at times it may have missed the sweet spot in a few places I might attest to. Certainly the 1999 version had it right and I still regard it as a classic; the Yorknew arc is just extremely hardhitting while it feels a little too soft, fast-paced and emotionally distant in the 2011 version. Chimera Ant in 2011 is still quite good though, and episode 85 in particular was jaw-dropping for me.

For me, I'd say 1999 & Yorknew Continuation OVA>2011's first 58 episodes, but Greed Island was vastly improved in 2011; the slower pacing wasn't to Greed Island's benefit unlike Yorknew and the other very heavy scenes throughout earlier arcs, and the production values and direction sucked the fun out of the arc meanwhile the 2011 version made it a blast to watch.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lain'sHairline

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:44 pm Reply with quote
ParkerALx wrote:
I personally found the 1999 Hunter x Hunter anime to be overly melodramatic and not at all consistent with the tone of Togashi's writing. As a big fan of the manga, I'd take MadHouse's adaptation any day of the week. The 1999 show has its moments, undoubtedly, and offers solid entertainment on its own, but it doesn't hold a candle to the standards of the source material.

How is MadHouse's adaptation of the Chimera Ant arc any less dramatic than the manga? It was practically done frame-by-frame in terms of accuracy.

1.) Maybe 2011 was more 'accurate' but the pacing pooped all over that so it's a flawed argument, whats the point of detail if you can't even take the time to see it?

2.) Besides you being in denial over Madhouse getting canned, and getting twisted over this. Hahahahaha. First, "I would personally find myself of the opposite opinion, finding the 1999 version (up until Greed Island: Final, at least) to be more consonant with Togashi's style of writing." This this this. He actually gets it.

Original taking too many liberties? 2011 didn't take any liberties at all if not more? You've lost your marbles.

3.) "And Killua as a emotionless shell for much of the Hunter Exam and rearranging events during the Heavens Arena Arc" HMMM a cold blooded assassin raised from birth to be ruthless WOULD NOT BE emotionless? You just shot yourself in the foot, that is a more accurate representation than an overly cheeky spoiled rich kid who thinks nobody knows better than him 24/7

Last edited by Lain'sHairline on Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
Lain'sHairline

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Angel'sArcanum wrote:
Chimera Ant is a dark arc in nature, but I guess Lain's argument is that Madhouse may not have made it as visceral as they could. With the glossier visuals, chipper (and recycled) opening theme and preview tune (seriously, why did it take them 136 episodes to change it?) the odd directorial choice and perhaps slightly underwhelming yet consistent animation at times it may have missed the sweet spot in a few places I might attest to. Certainly the 1999 version had it right and I still regard it as a classic; the Yorknew arc is just extremely hardhitting while it feels a little too soft, fast-paced and emotionally distant in the 2011 version. Chimera Ant in 2011 is still quite good though, and episode 85 in particular was jaw-dropping for me.

For me, I'd say 1999 & Yorknew Continuation OVA>2011's first 58 episodes, but Greed Island was vastly improved in 2011; the slower pacing wasn't to Greed Island's benefit unlike Yorknew and the other very heavy scenes throughout earlier arcs, and the production values and direction sucked the fun out of the arc meanwhile the 2011 version made it a blast to watch.

Finally, someone who can see what I was saying. THANK YOU. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4