• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Episode Review: Tokyo ESP

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:49 pm Reply with quote
As I understand it, this was the entirety of the first major story arc. The second one in the manga focuses on a different protagonist, I believe. (Someone who's actually read the manga can correct me if I'm wrong on this.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:58 am Reply with quote
I agree with Theron's review. This show had great potential, but was heavily hamstrung by its budget.

I'll just speak briefly on why I think the potential was so good. First of all, we have seen how successful X-men has been with this particular formula. The franchise is massive and beloved around the world. It's not hard to see why. Not only do people enjoy these kind of real world fantasy stories where average people get special powers, but it touches upon a lot of real world dilemmas as well, most prominently that of racism which is a very powerful topic for any media to address. Tokyo ESP made no bones about diving into that topic headfirst, from the discrimination that one character feels from his own mother, to new "anti-ESP" laws and Nazi-like detention centers. Tokyo ESP did not shy away from that in the slightest, and I find that to be commendable.

Additionally, the "X-men" formula is so great because it allows for such grand hero stories. It's different from the traditional hero story of people who were born for greatness. Instead, seemingly normal people who have no special "destiny" suddenly find themselves with the power AND responsibility of having these "wonderous" abilities. They struggle with their identity, trying to figure out if they should use these powers for selfish ends or if they should become a servant to some greater cause, a "hero." Tokyo ESP did a great job addressing this topic as well, with both Rinka and Azuma. Most prominently, Rinka's hero story was VERY well done. It wasn't rushed. Her development from a frightened average citizen to someone who fights for justice was very well planned and executed. Her journey had many ups and downs and bumps along the way. It was a winding path that involved self-discovery and new friendships. I came away from this loving her as a character. Azuma wasn't quite as well developed as her, but he was also developed quite well in similar fashion.

If we could take these two characters, and this general concept, and put it into a high-budget anime with a fantastic musical score, this would easily be a top-tier achievement. Even all of the goofy aspects of the story (like the flying penguin and the telepathic pelican) I am totally down with. Yea, they are kind of weird, but I actually think it is kind of refreshing to see an X-men type story experiment with these kind of non-human characters. It really expands the story universe in a way that opens up all kinds of new opportunities to increase the depth of the plot and add in interesting side characters. I can't help but wonder what other animals are affected by these fish and what kinds of stories they might have.

At the end of the day, I had a fun time watching Tokyo ESP. It's overall story and lead characters were noticeably better than some of the most hyped anime this season (we all know which ones). However, the lackluster budget and stiff execution of certain aspects of the writing make it hard to give this much higher of a grade than Theron gave it. Maybe I'd give it a B. It deserved more effort and funding on the part of the producers.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:38 am Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
I agree with Theron's review. This show had great potential, but was heavily hamstrung by its budget.

It wasn't the budget that was the problem. Heaps of action-orientated anime have low budgets yet succeed because they use their budgets well and make up for it in creative ways.

The real problem was the writing quality, which was terrible. That first episode was so horrendous I could barely finish it and I then immediately bailed on the show. And since even many of its fans admit the show only got worse as time went on, I cannot imagine how big a heart attack I would've suffered had I stuck around.

ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Additionally, the "X-men" formula is so great because it allows for such grand hero stories. It's different from the traditional hero story of people who were born for greatness. Instead, seemingly normal people who have no special "destiny" suddenly find themselves with the power AND responsibility of having these "wonderous" abilities.

I don't know what you're talking about here. The very idea of people born with special powers - encoded into their very DNA no less - automatically makes them born for greatness. You never see some random cop go toe-to-toe with a mutant and win, now do you? That's because having an ability means enjoying an unfair advantage over any normal enemy, having the opportunity to do things that others cannot, and being able to change the world in ways that it is impossible for normal people to do.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:42 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

The real problem was the writing quality, which was terrible. That first episode was so horrendous I could barely finish it and I then immediately bailed on the show. And since even many of its fans admit the show only got worse as time went on, I cannot imagine how big a heart attack I would've suffered had I stuck around.

You're admittedly commenting on a single episode. I don't think you can realistically comment on the writing of the entire series.

Quote:

I don't know what you're talking about here. The very idea of people born with special powers - encoded into their very DNA no less - automatically makes them born for greatness. You never see some random cop go toe-to-toe with a mutant and win, now do you? That's because having an ability means enjoying an unfair advantage over any normal enemy, having the opportunity to do things that others cannot, and being able to change the world in ways that it is impossible for normal people to do.

First of all, it should have been quite obvious that I was referring to narrative destiny, not biological destiny. Biological destiny, by itself, is not a concept that is really accepted under most societal norms of morality, unless you are living in Nazi Germany or the world of Gattaca.

So, when I referred to "born for greatness," what I was really talking about is characters who are special from birth and are set on a special path by some form of narrative destiny, such as Hercules or Superman.

That terminology does not refer to characters who live a seemingly normal life for their early formative years, and then suddenly discover that they have special powers as teenagers or later, and try to figure out what to do with those powers. This latter structure is essentially the structure followed by both X-men and Tokyo ESP, albeit in Tokyo ESP the powers are imbued from an external force at the time of discovery and in X-men the powers were in a dormant stage.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:11 am Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
You're admittedly commenting on a single episode. I don't think you can realistically comment on the writing of the entire series.

But fans of the show can comment, and they have commented, and even they have said that the show goes downhill. Theron in his reviews has highlighted that the writing quality hasn't been too hot, and I've read plenty of other blogs which covered this show and lamented the same thing. All I'm doing is taking what I saw in episode one and extrapolating it out using the data that people who have finished the show have provided.

ChibiKangaroo wrote:
First of all, it should have been quite obvious that I was referring to narrative destiny, not biological destiny. Biological destiny, by itself, is not a concept that is really accepted under most societal norms of morality, unless you are living in Nazi Germany or the world of Gattaca.

Eh, you're deliberately using a false equivalence by comparing mutants to Nazis. The Nazis wrongly believed the Aryan race was superior. Mutants on the other hand do possess abilities that set them apart from normal humans. They aren't morally or ethically better than humans (I never said they were so I don't know why you brought it up), plus they might not have more emotional and mental fortitude than a normal person. But mutants are superior in a "they can do stuff you can't" sort of way. Xavier can own you with a thought. Cyclops can destroy tanks with his eyes. Storm controls the freaking weather.

Do they have a "narrative destiny"? Well, given how powerful they are, both in terms of their individual power and the influence the existence of mutants has on the social, religious and political fabric of society, how could they not change the world? In a way, their genetically-derived prowess directly leads to them being important in a narrative sense, since without their powers they wouldn't have stories based on them.

ChibiKangaroo wrote:
That terminology does not refer to characters who live a seemingly normal life for their early formative years, and then suddenly discover that they have special powers as teenagers or later, and try to figure out what to do with those powers.

Clark Kent grew up largely normal and without knowing where he came from or why, but then rapidly gained powers when he hit puberty after which he learned about his homeworld. Of course the fine details and exact timing of events depend on who is writing the particular version of his origin story, but you get my point. Him being brought up by human parents as a normal(-ish) kid and then finding out that he is more special than he realised is kind of a big deal in the Superman mythos.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:40 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

But fans of the show can comment, and they have commented, and even they have said that the show goes downhill. Theron in his reviews has highlighted that the writing quality hasn't been too hot, and I've read plenty of other blogs which covered this show and lamented the same thing. All I'm doing is taking what I saw in episode one and extrapolating it out using the data that people who have finished the show have provided.

I haven't seen many fans of the show being as negative as you have about the writing. Theron still gave the final episode a B-. He's talking about writing flaws, not saying the show is a complete disaster. You are talking as if it is a D level show. That is my point. If you had watched the entire series as Theron did, you would be able to understand how the flaws in the writing do not undermine it on the grand scale that you are indicating. Yes, some things could have been done better, but there is still a whole lot to love about Tokyo ESP and Theron's review should have enlightened you to that.

Quote:

Eh, you're deliberately using a false equivalence by comparing mutants to Nazis. The Nazis wrongly believed the Aryan race was superior. Mutants on the other hand do possess abilities that set them apart from normal humans. They aren't morally or ethically better than humans (I never said they were so I don't know why you brought it up), plus they might not have more emotional and mental fortitude than a normal person. But mutants are superior in a "they can do stuff you can't" sort of way. Xavier can own you with a thought. Cyclops can destroy tanks with his eyes. Storm controls the freaking weather.

The point I was making is that you seemed to conflate biological destiny with narrative destiny. I am saying that they are not the same thing. Biological destiny is what the Nazi's believed in. It's a belief that a person's entire future and potential is decided by their biological makeup. If you are an "aryan" then you are destined for superiority and greatness, if you are any other "race" you are destined to be a slave, at best. That's not the same as narrative destiny. Narrative destiny is a kind of destiny that is created by the author. It's the "hero's beginning," the "journey," and the "conclusion" all rolled into one vision. It's the vehicle by which the author inspires us in the audience to be somehow moved by the hero's life experience.

Some narrative destinies start with a hero who was "born for greatness," meaning that they have powers and a set course that is either obvious to them or the audience. So, for example, Clark Kent was an alien from Krypton. We know that all such aliens from Krypton become indestructible, god-like "super men" when they come under the influence of Earth's sun. Thus, when Clark crash landed on Earth (and yes, the Kents knew he was from outer space. What else are you going to think when you find a baby in a crash-landed alien spaceship?) not only was he already a super powered, god-like being, but there's no doubt to the reader that he is going to live an entire life as such a god-like being and thus have a significant hero's story. Again, all of this starts from him being a baby. It's the same deal with Hercules.

However, with the X-men, the audience is informed that they were not god-like super-beings at birth. They were humans with some kind of "x" gene, which would activate at some point in their life (usually after puberty). They had the normal life that Clark Kent never had up until they discovered their powers. These are two distinctly different kinds of hero stories. It explains why so many X-men (similar to Rinka from Tokyo ESP) are such reluctant heroes, because their life is suddenly changed in such a drastic manner... they weren't like this for as long as they can remember. Suddenly they are presented with this massive change and they have to understand which path to take.

I think that kind of sudden "change" and the choices that such characters are forced to make is a very interesting type of narrative, and like I said, it is different than the Superman type story. That's what I was getting at.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:28 am Reply with quote
At the end of the day I was more rooting for the professor and Nanami than I was Rinka and her goody-two-shoes clique.

And Namami's big deal is she has the hots for the guy that likes Rinka? There's a motive for participating in mass murder if there ever was one.

I thought this was going to be pretty good, but at the end of the day I stopped caring.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:10 pm Reply with quote
I really don't see what was particularly wrong with the writing in this show. Not everything needs to be cynical bullshit in order for it to be considered good despite what a lot of people seem to think these days. The shows issues for me for sure mainly lay with the budget and perhaps a bit with having to compress the narrative like most anime, but it was still one of the most surprisingly enjoyable shows of the season for me considering I expected nothing at all from it at the start. I think that to me says more than anything in the long run, it's always nice to find a decent show with some spunky enjoyable characters (and mascots lol) where you never expected anything so can't complain much about Tokyo ESP really.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:50 am Reply with quote
Having good writing has absolutely nothing to do with being composed of "cynical bullshit." The best-written series I saw this season (Nozaki-kun) is also a pure comedy, for instance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3