• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Cross Ange: Rondo of Angels and Dragons (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:36 pm Reply with quote
It sound pretty good. Gonna have to watch it.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:46 pm Reply with quote
I think non-Gundam Sunrise original shows have a tendency to turn everything to 11 without much concern for whether it's appropriate. I typically credit Taniguchi Goro (probably unfairly) for keeping Code Geass sufficiently well-managed that it was ridiculous in an enjoyable way (at least for one season), which then got followed by Guilty Crown which was... not. A lot of times when I watch a Sunrise show I get the impression the creators are being dragged about by a cultural "cookbook" of sorts telling them what should go where, and the project as a whole tends to rattle apart because there isn't much central vision about it. In that sense, Cross Ange absolutely reminds me of other Sunrise works, even if it doesn't match up in a plot or aesthetic sense. I definitely walk away from Sunrise episodes a bit queasy on a regular basis, and this one probably takes the cake.

The comparison that's currently strongest in my head, from that first episode's character arc and the preview's impression of where they're taking it, is Strain, which also had a spectacular fall from grace, and learning to live among the "normals" who don't much care for the main character, her origins, or her attitude.

I'm a little sad about the music. Shikata Akiko is one of my favorite composers, and I was really excited to see her get into doing background music for an anime. Even if her music is perhaps more interesting than it is good, the slightly-twisted chanting style is really appropriate for the show. I'm sad, though, because no one is going to care due to... other concerns, and I kind of doubt this will turn into more work for her.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Guilty Crown was Production IG, not Sunrise.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:49 pm Reply with quote
To be completely honest right from the start, I am not going to stick around for the long run with this show.

I didn't find the episode to be interesting enough and I also actively dislike what happened at the end.

That should be enough to make clear how I feel about the most controversial topic involving the first episode of Cross Ange and its ramifications. I will not discuss the scene in question any more than that.

Plasmaeclipse wrote:
I didn't mean the fine details I mean the writing style, the execution and direction and the overall tone is exactly the same to me. The fine details may be different but overall they feel like the same show. There's big political drama, magical powers for no reason (they could have easily framed Ange's story without magic it's just there like the geass and whatever the hell went on in Valvrave and while I can think of a way to justify it I doubt they'll go the route of the dagons and magic being connected being that's too obvious), Everyone comes off as insane and evil because everyone in the world is a douche. It's the same style of show and I can't get over it. Code Geass had the good sense to be completely flamboyant and over the top.

I disagree with that, both in terms of your general conclusions, many of the specific details or descriptions and even the issues that are ultimately more subjective than anything else. I do happen to observe that, curiously enough, the few differences you have so grudgingly acknowledged between the two series essentially tend to help dismantle the very bases for your own point, at least when examined carefully.

Even the superficially similar elements, such as the bombastic speeches and the blatant issues of discrimination, are not treated identically. For a start, I find a lot of small and large directorial choices to be strikingly different when comparing the first episode of Code Geass to Cross Ange or, for that matter, to Valvrave as well. In that sense, I tend to share Yttrbio's point of view, but I also think crediting the director is far from unfair. Taniguchi made a lot of contributions to both the style and contents of the show that are missing when you take him out (a few of which are not too relevant to this current discussion though).

Even the way the speeches are delivered and framed isn't a match, which is reflected in how the scenes are intercut and edited. The flamboyant aspect and over-the-top nature you're casually bringing up is, in essence, part of a set of theatrical mechanisms that emphasize and shift the tone, both for comedy and for drama. Cross Ange has a mix of jokes and tragedies too, that idea is shared, but they are not presented using the same tools. In terms of characterization, I realize there are certainly some people who find Lelouch to be unlikable, period, but there are nuances to his personality and behavior even in the first episode, beyond merely showing an evil smile. To a lesser extent, the same can apply to Suzaku and other characters as well. Dismissing all that because, sure, there are obviously evil Britannian forces killing people....isn't a convincing position in my eyes.

That isn't to say it we can't relate the two series in other applicable ways, as part of an overarching "melodramatic fantasy mecha" sub-genre or something to that effect. I believe that is a valid argument and one could indeed group them as belonging to a certain "school of thought" within Sunrise despite numerous staff differences. But each branch of the "school" has its own quirks and touches, for better or for worse. To state these are all "one and the same" does not accurately reflect the facts, upon closer inspection. Your own feelings towards them might be comparable in a sense, that I can see, but neither the material nor its presentation are wholly equivalent.

Last edited by nightjuan on Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:55 pm; edited 3 times in total
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Guilty Crown was Production IG, not Sunrise.
That's true, of course, but it felt very much like a successor, in terms of creative input. It's why I think of Taniguchi as the one who made Code Geass work.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Well Geass, Guilty Crown, and Valvrave share a writer, which is why you can find similarities. He's not involved in this show, though.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Well Geass, Guilty Crown, and Valvrave share a writer, which is why you can find similarities. He's not involved in this show, though.

Precisely, but the fact they share a writer and not a director is one of the main explanations for their differences or, in my opinion, subsequently lower quality.

Directors are usually not creatively irrelevant, unless that's what they have chosen to be. Even Taniguchi himself said, years ago, that mixing the same ingredients will not always produce the same results. Reasonably enough, he has not worked on any of the "copycat" series listed, and his next TV project is totally unrelated.

The staff working on Cross Ange seems to consist of folks who aren't too high profile, outside of Mitsuo Fukuda, with the writer in particular playing a secondary role within the My-Otome property, which seems to have a clearer influence in terms of some of the content involved here.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Fukuda's not even directing this show, but of course any percieved problems are all his fault. He gets a lot of undeserved flack just because he worked on SEED and Destiny (neither of which are as terrible as people say they are), despite him having other good titles under his belt (Dendoh was awesome). I blame executive mettling and his wife for Destiny's problems anyways.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Fukuda's not even directing this show, but of course any percieved problems are all his fault. He gets a lot of undeserved flack just because he worked on SEED and Destiny (neither of which are as terrible as people say they are), despite him having other good titles under his belt (Dendoh was awesome). I blame executive mettling and his wife for Destiny's problems anyways.

Personally I don't know what he is specifically doing here, thanks to his participation coming through the nebulous title of "Creative Procuder" that can simultaneously mean anything and nothing. But he is still the name that people will know and remember the most.

I am not including my views on his previous work within my opinion of this show. One way or another, his presence still implies a level of co-responsibility that cannot be accurately determined, but the resulting problems are not restricted to his role.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:21 am Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
I'm really interested to see what the older brother's motivations are for betraying his family. I hope that it's not something as petty as just wanting the throne for himself.

It was the princess, and her mother and father that betrayed the family by hiding Ange's status and attempting to install her as a ruler. There will be no counter-inssurection. Not even Ange's devoted classmates would support it. Maybe the maid would.

I was curious about the officer of the prison who could use mana but seems perfectly OK with taking orders from the boss Norma. She was obviously uncomfortable with the rape but used her ability to assist anyway. How did she land in that gig anyway?

As for the "examination" itself it is hard to imagine what they would be looking for in there. My take is it was just a initiation ritual of domination, nothing else.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:35 am Reply with quote
Not that it was clear just from the episode itself, but I think I saw someone indicate that what was actually happening there was something was being attached to her spine - ergo, the electrical discharge we saw. If true, presumably this is something needed to ride But yeah, emotively, the show was going for, "Welcome to Hell! Hope you enjoy your stay."
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:33 am Reply with quote
I'm assuming it's that red device attached to her suit right around her tailbone at about 1 min 17 seconds in. however, that would seem like it would need to be a proper medial procedure in a properly equipped lab rather than a rough cavity check in a dark dank dungeon
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:27 pm Reply with quote
What? You've never heard of back alley tail bone electrode implanters? Wink
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
What? You've never heard of back alley tail bone electrode implanters? Wink

I would like anyone anywhere any time to come up with one realistic depiction of medical science in any anime anywhere any time. It doesn't happen. It isn't in the culture. The plot would fall apart. There is a law against it. If they did it it would be censored. Idols careers would end. The otaku would rebel. Key would write a D- review.

It does seem we (who am I kidding I mean me) were successfully trolled to some extent. Looking back at the narrated epilog: "all those terrible things they did to the princess!" make it pretty clear it was a procedure that was manipulated to look like a yuri butt-rape when it was something else. What kind of "sold" me at the time was the clear aversion the non-Norma officer present exhibited before the act.

On to military training. Where's Sosuke Sagara when you need him anyway?
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Or... both. I mean, why can't they happen in sequence?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 28