• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Daily Cosplay - Hetalia: Axis Powers' Germany and Italy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rinmackie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:58 pm Reply with quote
^ Actually, the outlawing of Nazi imagery and ideology in Germany has not solved anything. It's actually made things worse. These laws don't solve the problem, it just pushes it underground. I think it was recently discovered that a village in Germany was actually celebrating the Holocaust!
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:39 pm Reply with quote
rinmackie wrote:
^ Actually, the outlawing of Nazi imagery and ideology in Germany has not solved anything. It's actually made things worse. These laws don't solve the problem, it just pushes it underground. I think it was recently discovered that a village in Germany was actually celebrating the Holocaust!

Neo-Nazi activity in Germany isn't underground; there was a party that won a significant number of votes in a recent election. It just doesn't use the symbolism or labels of it. There's been a huge uptick in antisemitism, xenophobia and other racism-based far-right extremism across Europe lately, not just in Germany (where it's actually not as bad as in some other countries, like France), so I really doubt that most of it is specifically connected to not allowing Nazi imagery. I don't think those laws are necessarily good, but I don't think they "make things worse" either, at least not to a degree that would be concerning. When that happens, it's almost always due to much larger, more complicated factors.

Anyway, this whole discussion is really beside the point of whether it's appropriate to cosplay Nazi regalia at an anime convention. That doesn't have anything to do with whether actual Neo-Nazis are using swastikas or the SS symbol in their rallies or not.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rinmackie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:05 pm Reply with quote
^ If it's beside the point, then why bring it up in the first place? And if Neo Nazism and anti-Semitism is flourishing and out in the open, than obviously outlawing Nazi imagery and the like is proof it doesn't work.

As far as cosplay is concerned, it should be up to the individual as to whether it's appropriate. A cosplayer can tone down the Nazi symbols or wear them despite knowing it may offend some people. Plus, they're portraying a character, like an actor on tv or in a movie. It's not the same as being an actual Nazi, though I do agree people need to be careful about their behavior when wearing such costumes.
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:27 pm Reply with quote
rinmackie wrote:
And if Neo Nazism and anti-Semitism is flourishing and out in the open, than obviously outlawing Nazi imagery and the like is proof it doesn't work.

Except that the same thing is happening--except even worse--in countries that don't have those bans. And "doesn't work" isn't the same as "makes it worse", which is what we were contesting. It might be irrelevant, but that's not the same as actively malignant.

Quote:
As far as cosplay is concerned, it should be up to the individual as to whether it's appropriate. A cosplayer can tone down the Nazi symbols or wear them despite knowing it may offend some people.

But why do they want to offend people? Why is that necessary at a fan convention where the point is for everyone to have fun? It's not like this is merely a case of some people being oversensitive. These symbols are a painful reminder for many people of atrocities they or their relatives suffered, and the atrocities they still suffer in parts of the world where antisemitic violence is still rampant. Asking them to put up with seeing that at a fun convention is ruining the fun for them. All so cosplayers can wear this particular costume out of the whole world of other costumes that don't remind people of the Holocaust.

You and others in the thread are talking about this like it's a movie set and accuracy and "being subversive with art" is really important. That's not the case. Cosplay competitions and conventions are chiefly about having fun enjoying a cartoon.

Especially when the characters didn't wear any Nazi regalia in the particular cartoon, as has been established in this thread many times.

Quote:
Plus, they're portraying a character, like an actor on tv or in a movie. It's not the same as being an actual Nazi, though I do agree people need to be careful about their behavior when wearing such costumes.

Intent isn't really what matters here, though. You think relatives of Holocaust survivors who see this stuff at cons aren't aware that the people wearing Nazi regalia in a Hetalia costume aren't actually Nazis? No, they probably figure they're just insensitive.

Which isn't really much better when it comes making those feel comfortable at a con who don't have the privilege to see this as "just a costume".
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
tsukumo.yuma.98

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:24 am Reply with quote
In the Hetalia manga, they have had some uniforms that look somewhat close to the real ones, but were never exactly the same, swastika were shown in some strips durring these times, but not always, only when they were in front of there boss, and as soon as they left, they removed them from there outfit.

Here list some of the uniforms I'm talking about
http://hetalia.wikia.com/wiki/Uniform_Guide:_Prussia

Legaly, you can in the US to wear the real uniform, but that doewnt mean you should.
What I find messed up though is, these people cosplaying are replicating the real uniforms from this time, while the characters they are cosplaying as, never wear the exact uniform, it is like modified, and has the nazi badges and stuff removed, but these cosplayers have all that stuff on.

So they can't even say they are trying to make there cosplay acurate to the characters outfit, because it is not.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3