• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Urban Alchemist Launches

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Riyousha

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Urban Alchemist = the next J!NX.

I'll probably compare these two sites together.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
BlaqNumbr9

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Now, now, people. Let's keep it civil.

To be honest, I'm surprised this news item generated this much feedback. I went to the site when the item first went up and moved on. I didn't expect it to spark an outpouring of fire and brimstone.

I was disappointed in the site, too, when I first saw it. I was just looking for more; more color, more life, more fun. As everyone's said, it wasn't there. But I think that the bruhaha is a good sign that people are interested in finding "something else."

The beginning of a new anime t-shirt co. IS new worthy: ANN news worthy. We'll just have to see in the future if they live up to their words.
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Sage58 wrote:
Third, yaoi is yucky.

Way to alienate potential customers that belong to that fandom. So you poke fun at my hobby and then expect me to buy a shirt from you? Smart business move.

Proman wrote:
SakechanBD wrote:
Proman wrote:

Quote:
...and
accessories for anime, video game, and
comic book fans.

Nice. Way to offend your customer base right in your mission statement.

Huh? How does that offend the customer base?

You know, when you move your mouse over the website's logo, the following text appears:

Quote:
Urban Alchemist
Cloths for otaku, gamers, and misfits
hidden text: and nerds, geeks, rejects, and dweebs

I find that pretty offensive. Sure, I like anime, but I don't think of myself as any of these childish, insulting schoolyard labels and I certainly don't want to be identified with them. I'm not a slab of meat lacking in social skills that exists solely as a punching bag for the kewl kidz at school to harass with name-calling, I'm a person.
Hunter Sopko

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Wolverine Princess wrote:
Sage58 wrote:
Third, yaoi is yucky.

Way to alienate potential customers that belong to that fandom. So you poke fun at my hobby and then expect me to buy a shirt from you? Smart business move.

Proman wrote:
SakechanBD wrote:
Proman wrote:

Quote:
...and
accessories for anime, video game, and
comic book fans.

Nice. Way to offend your customer base right in your mission statement.

Huh? How does that offend the customer base?

You know, when you move your mouse over the website's logo, the following text appears:

Quote:
Urban Alchemist
Cloths for otaku, gamers, and misfits
hidden text: and nerds, geeks, rejects, and dweebs

I find that pretty offensive. Sure, I like anime, but I don't think of myself as any of these childish, insulting schoolyard labels and I certainly don't want to be identified with them. I'm not a slab of meat lacking in social skills that exists solely as a punching bag for the kewl kidz at school to harass with name-calling, I'm a person.

Someone once said a sign of maturity is the ability to poke fun at one's self. Can't remember who, but that quote struck me when I read your post.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Hunter Sopko wrote:
Wolverine Princess wrote:

Someone once said a sign of maturity is the ability to poke fun at one's self. Can't remember who, but that quote struck me when I read your post.
So it's mature to accept intolerance and insults?

That's amazing! The greatest sign that a person is immature is that they use personal attacks and insults yet to accept such acts of immaturity is to be mature?

I'm sorry, but Hunter Sopko, you are dead wrong. No one deserves to be insulted, picked on, or humiliated by being verbally abused regardless of their favored source of entertainment, social status, etc.

It is not a sign of maturity to put up with that kind of crap.

Wolverine Princess's words were far wiser than those you quoted.
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:35 pm Reply with quote
In reply to the last three posts:

Let's quit it with the personal attacks, please! The site itself and the representative posting here were obviously using those terms in jest. Apparently Richard J. and Wolverine Princess are not the sorts to find poking at their own kind funny, but people like the site's staff and Hunter Sopko are. I am of the opinion that it's better to be able to have some sense of humor about it and not take your fandom too seriously.

hikaru004 wrote:
Well, I don't think that those shirts on your website are polite to wear in public. You definitely couldn't wear those in school imo.

...Why? A very small percentage of the population is going to understand what the words seme and uke mean in the first place. I would be positively shocked if a teacher sent a student to the principal's office for wearing one of these shirts. Who would know?

If anything, those shirts would just present the wearer with many curious onlookers asking them to explain what it means.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Richard J.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Michi wrote:

Let's quit it with the personal attacks, please! The site itself and the representative posting here were obviously using those terms in jest. Apparently Richard J. and Wolverine Princess are not the sorts to find poking at their own kind funny, but people like the site's staff and Hunter Sopko are. I am of the opinion that it's better to be able to have some sense of humor about it and not take your fandom too seriously.
I spent almost every day that I was in school, from kindergarten to when I graduated from high school, being bullied because I was quiet, overweight, and I liked to read books. For that reason I am very sensitive about labels and such.

I apologize if any of my posts were interpreted as "personal attacks" as that was absolutely not my intention. I harbor no personal dislike for the staff of Urban Alchemist nor for Hunter Sopko.

From here on, if I post any more on this thread, I will refrain from commenting beyond addtional opinions on the T-shirts themselves, anything else added to the website, and similiar topics.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Michi wrote:
the site's staff

Better add "some".
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Hunter Sopko

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Michi wrote:

I spent almost every day that I was in school, from kindergarten to when I graduated from high school, being bullied because I was quiet, overweight, and I liked to read books. For that reason I am very sensitive about labels and such.

I apologize if any of my posts were interpreted as "personal attacks" as that was absolutely not my intention. I harbor no personal dislike for the staff of Urban Alchemist nor for Hunter Sopko.

From here on, if I post any more on this thread, I will refrain from commenting beyond addtional opinions on the T-shirts themselves, anything else added to the website, and similiar topics.

I also apologize, as I was a bit careless in how I used it. I didn't mean it as to publically endorse personal attacks and bullying. I understand where you are coming from since I have had similar experiences (replacing being overweight with being very short). I guess I came out with a lot less scars than most people and fail to see that.

I more meant it in the vein of the same kind of banter you have with your friends. You call your friends names sometimes, and even call yourself them. A ton of times I've caught myself doing something that just makes me go "Wow, I am a huge geek." That is what I meany by what I said, and I also think that is what the site's creators are going for. And after all, they're selling yaoi t-shirts. Is there anything they can say to you that isn't automatically trumped by that fact?
Richard J.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Hunter Sopko wrote:
I also apologize, as I was a bit careless in how I used it. I didn't mean it as to publically endorse personal attacks and bullying. I understand where you are coming from since I have had similar experiences (replacing being overweight with being very short). I guess I came out with a lot less scars than most people and fail to see that.

I more meant it in the vein of the same kind of banter you have with your friends. You call your friends names sometimes, and even call yourself them. A ton of times I've caught myself doing something that just makes me go "Wow, I am a huge geek." That is what I meany by what I said, and I also think that is what the site's creators are going for. And after all, they're selling yaoi t-shirts. Is there anything they can say to you that isn't automatically trumped by that fact?
Re-reading my post, I think I did step over the line a bit too. Sorry.

I think I would have come out of my experiences with bullies in better shape if I hadn't also been dealing with some far more traumatic situations.

Also, I was painfully shy, so I had very few friends and those I did have were people who were outcasts for various reasons. When I've called myself names in the past, I did so out of genuine self-loathing. (Fortunately, I'm a much happier person than I used to be. Religon and dropping sixty pounds did wonders for my self-esteem.)

However, I stand by all my comments regarding the T-shirts. I get that they're going for minimalist, but I think they took it too far. Those shirts are just not appealing no matter how I look at them and I usually like the "less is more" approach to fashion. (Although the base color is good. Black is always good. Cool )

The photography and models do not add to the appeal of the shirts either in my opinion. Their body language gives no indication at pride or enjoyment of wearing them. The way that everything is framed in the pictures also seems too basic and a tad dull. (It is obviously professional, given various technical factors, but there is something missing. There's just no flair of excitement.)
whoisfriend

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Y'know, they listed Zombies Ate My Neighbors first in their favourite games list. I have to like them now.

I'll hold off on the shirts for now, but hopefully there will be more designs in the future.

And people, learn to make fun of yourself. You're already being made fun of by popular society Wink Wink Wink

spoiler[(For those unaware, the above was a joke)]
Eos

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:57 am Reply with quote
Ninja337 wrote:
Eos wrote:

Reviewing t-shirt websites, why are otaku on the internet so pathetic?

Aren't all otaku pathetic? Isn't that the point?

No, I'm talking about the ones that take up arms over trivial things. Most of them you'll find on the internet (see FMA manga edit).

Ninja337 wrote:
This clothing line is weeaboo scum

Who on Earth actually uses that word? Outside of 4chan that is.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
jgreen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:13 am Reply with quote
Hunter Sopko wrote:

This is the thread of logic behind the comments re: using "otaku" with pride that I made toward devilfoxnaruto, if anyone was curious.

Also, can I just point out I have no idea what a "uke" or a "seme" is, but I'm petrified to do Google them? Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

Eos wrote:
Ninja337 wrote:

This clothing line is weeaboo scum

Who on Earth actually uses that word? Outside of 4chan that is.

I had never heard it before this week, but now I've seen it in at least 3 or 4 threads around here. Strange....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AveryEmory

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Hunter Sopko wrote:
And after all, they're selling yaoi t-shirts. Is there anything they can say to you that isn't automatically trumped by that fact?

Hey, Hunter Sopko...I happened to see the Urban Alchemist press release over at AnimeonDvd.com and noticed that one of their staffers is named "Kevin Sopko".

A similar name, and kind of an unusual one. Any relation? Coincidence?
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:33 pm Reply with quote
jgreen wrote:

Also, can I just point out I have no idea what a "uke" or a "seme" is, but I'm petrified to do Google them? Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

I have zero interest in yaoi, but I've heard enough to gather that it refers to the couples in yaoi and which one is the dominant/aggressive one and which is submissive one.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4