• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Celestial Method

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Rebecc Silverman wrote:
Yes, she's told Nonoka that before and we all just assumed that she believed her because she didn't say anything to the contrary, but what if she was just humoring a cute little girl? In any case, it seems to truly hit her this week, and with Shione also coming to accept the girl's statement, it looks like there's a bit of a shake-up in the way everyone views our favorite blue-haired child.

I really have a hard time with swallowing this. Yes young girls can and do say fantasy-like things all the time and adults generally humor them, but all the other oddities regarding Noel just have to be totally ignored to make this part of the story work. Unless you are stipulating mind manipulation of some kind.

Noel doesn't age in 10 years. Noel doesn't live anywhere but an abandoned observatory. She has no family. She doesn't go to school. She says she cannot travel outside the vicinity of the saucer and she never does even though she would clearly like to. She wears the same clothes rain shine snow and it is a complete mystery how she lives. She can point at the saucer and make it simulate fireworks. She is the elephant in the room nobody notices. Nobody asks about any of this even once.

To avoid being nothing but a rhetorical and pointless cheat, the story is going to have to address all this at some point.[/img]
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:11 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Rebecc Silverman wrote:
Yes, she's told Nonoka that before and we all just assumed that she believed her because she didn't say anything to the contrary, but what if she was just humoring a cute little girl? In any case, it seems to truly hit her this week, and with Shione also coming to accept the girl's statement, it looks like there's a bit of a shake-up in the way everyone views our favorite blue-haired child.

I really have a hard time with swallowing this. Yes young girls can and do say fantasy-like things all the time and adults generally humor them, but all the other oddities regarding Noel just have to be totally ignored to make this part of the story work. Unless you are stipulating mind manipulation of some kind.

I somewhat agree with you on that point. But I can also see how, in the town's circumstances, people will just nod and continue on with statements regarding the saucer.

HaruhiToy wrote:
Noel doesn't age in 10 years.

I'm pretty sure Noel grew up in those 10 years. Sure, not as much as one might expect, but she still grew and her physique changed a bit.

HaruhiToy wrote:
Noel doesn't live anywhere but an abandoned observatory. She has no family. She doesn't go to school. She says she cannot travel outside the vicinity of the saucer and she never does even though she would clearly like to. She wears the same clothes rain shine snow and it is a complete mystery how she lives. She can point at the saucer and make it simulate fireworks. She is the elephant in the room nobody notices. Nobody asks about any of this even once.

To avoid being nothing but a rhetorical and pointless cheat, the story is going to have to address all this at some point.[/img]

To be fair, those are pretty common anime & manga tropes. How many times have you read manga/watched anime with one of the characters' family either working abroad/far away, or all dead and somehow the characters still manage to live in a house, without seemingly having to pay rent, go to work or buy groceries.
The other points you've made are right, though. I wonder how the show will address those.
TG72

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:56 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Yes young girls can and do say fantasy-like things all the time and adults generally humor them, but all the other oddities regarding Noel just have to be totally ignored to make this part of the story work. Unless you are stipulating mind manipulation of some kind.

She is the elephant in the room nobody notices. Nobody asks about any of this even once.

To avoid being nothing but a rhetorical and pointless cheat, the story is going to have to address all this at some point.

I get the sense that Shione had either forgotten or blocked out her memory of that first meeting with Noel. When they reunited, Shione didn't seem to recognize her at all. I can understand Nonoka not wanting to confront Noel about her age, etc. but Shione is usually very direct/blunt.
Wtv

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:02 pm Reply with quote
I actually think that Shione realized that once their wish is granted, Noel will disappear. And their wish was probably something like: "we want always be together".
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Wtv wrote:
I actually think that Shione realized that once their wish is granted, Noel will disappear. And their wish was probably something like: "we want always be together".

That particular wish cannot be granted because "always" never happens completely. Since "always" has some part of it in the future at all times, "always" never happens. So if that is the wish Noel has to hang around until it is done, which it will never be.
Wtv

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:25 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Wtv wrote:

That particular wish cannot be granted because "always" never happens completely. Since "always" has some part of it in the future at all times, "always" never happens. So if that is the wish Noel has to hang around until it is done, which it will never be.

Yeah, that's why I said "something like". I thought it could be them being together again, but no one knew that Nonoka was going away at the time. Could be something like: "we can still be friends when we're older".
AJ (LordNikon)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:45 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
Shione needs to get over herself. Nonoka had no control over whether or when she would be leaving town so blaming her for leaving is not fair. She is not mocking you and thinking you are stupid, she has amnesia, weirdly spotty though it may be. I would like to see her beg for forgiveness for being such a petty and horrible person. And if they regret summoning that saucer before she left, they should not take it out on her. They agreed to do it so they can't fairly put all the blame on her and as said before she could not control her leaving

That logic is great for an adult, doesn't quite work so well with kids and teens. My teenager was going through his own drama along these sort of lines quite a few years back and when I made a similar reply, he looked at me like I was some sort of alien with two heads and a third nard!
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9

Grade: B

Another nice episode that, as Rebecca writes, answers some questions. I get the impression that this episode is some sort of set up for the big conclusion. But I do wonder how the creators are going to fill the last 4 episodes. To me reaching a conclusion with enough closure could be done in 1 or 2 episodes because most of the issues have been solved.

I am not complaining about getting 4 more episodes of the pretty looking and charming Celestial Method, but I am curious about the upcoming content.
TG72

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:55 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Episode 9
I do wonder how the creators are going to fill the last 4 episodes.

I am not complaining about getting 4 more episodes of the pretty looking and charming Celestial Method, but I am curious about the upcoming content.

The wish granting could take a couple of episodes. After all, they probably didn't ask for the same thing (the others don't know what Nonoka wanted; probably something about her mother). As for next week, Nonoka will have to give the others the scoop on Noel and spoiler[hurry to get her back near the saucer]
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Wouldn't retaining Noel forever deny the next person in line their wish? They've been waiting for 10 years already. Seems a bit selfish to do that.
Wtv

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:05 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Wouldn't retaining Noel forever deny the next person in line their wish? They've been waiting for 10 years already. Seems a bit selfish to do that.

Well, considering that the method to call the saucer was really easy, writing on a book, but no one knew about it when it showed up on town, maybe there isn't anyone else after them...Well, I'll ignore this as anime logic.

I don't understand Shione's logic. In most of these kind of situation, someone will want to make that person stay because that person may die, be unhappy, or maybe because they want to stay with that person. Nothing of that makes sense here. Noel is gonna be fine, in fact, she looks happy with the time that she will move to the next wish coming. She could be thinking about Nonoka. But then she should actually ask Nonoka about it...they would realize that letting Noel go is the best for everyone.

So, with the wish granted, Nonoka, Shione and everyone will be happy friends...Yeah, it'll be sad to say goodbye to Noel, but they can do it happy because Noel will be happy with her mission finished and there won't be any unfinished business between them.

But with the wish not granted, Noel will be stuck on the town, maybe forever, with her purpose in life gone. Nonoka will be sad because Shione went away saying that hates her. Shione will be sad because she lost her best friend...and everyone will be sad with the whole situation...

Well, now Shione actions are actually killing Noel. So it doesn't matter.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:40 am Reply with quote
(About Ep. 9)
"Error. Too far from Main Server, connection speed is insufficient to sustain normal operations. Please retry connection, or move closer to Main Server"
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10

Grade: B+

A solid episode that moves the story along. I do not have much to comment, but I am glad that everybody has realized what is going on. And I applaud Noel for stepping up and deciding to do what is best for all of them.
TG72

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:27 pm Reply with quote
I think there's more going on than we've been told. It can't be simply that everyone would miss Noel. Shione seems to remember or realize something about her that I'm guessing is connected to Nonoka's mother.

I'm not sure what kind of connection it is, but it would explain everyone not wanting to seperate Nonoka and Noel.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11

Grade: B+

I enjoyed this episode, especially the emotive moments. I do not think this episode was that rushed. It managed to solve things in a mostly satisfying way. If this had been the last episode, and it had ended with everyone understandably sad but accepting what happened and moving on with their lives, I would give Celestial Method a Good rating.

I honestly find it odd that the series has two more episodes left. What more can be added? But I want the last two episodes to prove me wrong by adding something meaningful that makes the show more endearing and memorable.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4