• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Media Blasters Adds Bakuman Anime with English Dub

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Toriko36

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Toriko36 wrote:
I for one, only buy complete sets at a reasonable price. For example, Samurai Champloo complete boxset, under $30, in my opinion that's a great buy and good sales practice from Funimation.

The difference, of course, is that Samurai Champloo is a re-re-release whereas this is a first release. Look at the MSRP of the new releases by FUNi, they just may surprise you.

The point I am making is the pricepoint of what the consumer will be willing to pay and what should be a reasonable amount. I also feel that if they were to offer 13 episodes a set, it would sell more and be more economically viable for the consumer and in turn, should generate higher revenue for MB.

Toriko36 wrote:
For example, my buddy just bought the complete 1st season, all 25 episodes of Bakuman, the Malaysian boxset for $20 in Chinatown (NYC).

Your friend bought a bootleg. Congrats.

Thank you for the Congratulations, I had no idea that a Malayasian boxset was a bootleg, thanks so much for clearing that up for me. Again, your insight is truly appreciated.

The point that I am making is that if a good quality boxset of the entire season is available for cheap, this would deter consumers/customers of the media. The Anime industry as a whole is still suffering and this is just my opinion, offering a more substantial release of more episodes per set would be much more pleasing to the consumer.

Not to go off on a tangent and get away from the topic at hand, but overall, I'm happy that they picked up Bakuman the series and hopefully will produce a good quality relesae and will hopefully make enough to license the second series when that finishes as well.
AntztheGreat

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Toriko36 wrote:
I'm surprised nobody commented on the fact that they will be releasing only 7 episodes a volume. I understand the need to generate revenue, but the fact that they will be releasing 4 volumes at a MSRP of maybe, $20-30 a volume.

I for one, only buy complete sets at a reasonable price. For example, Samurai Champloo complete boxset, under $30, in my opinion that's a great buy and good sales practice from Funimation.

Media Blasters asking fans/customers to pay over $100 for Bakuman? Not the best idea.

Assuming they release this the same way they're releasing Squid Girl, there will be literally no difference between what you'd pay for these singles compared to what you'd pay for normal sets.

If they do it the same way as Squid Girl, then we'll end up with four sets costing $24.99 MSRP each. That adds up to just under $100 for all four. Since the current standard for DVDs is 13 episode sets for $49.98 MSRP, a 25 episodes series like Bakuman would need to be released in two sets, which would add up to just under $100.

Basically, their way of releasing it is up to the current standard as far as price is concerned, they're just spreading it across more releases to keep their schedule more spread out.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:51 pm Reply with quote
I am quite surprised about this.

For one, Media Blasters is licensing more then one new Anime this year? Color me shocked.

Secondly, I figured Viz would be grabbing this series. Bakuman is right up their alley, as they like to snag alot of Shonen series, and so this seems completely out of character for MB to grab it. Sure they got Kenshin and Berserk, but those are the only two (that I am aware of) major Shonen titles out of all the fanservice/romance/comedy/yaoi/shojo/yuri titles they have.

Hopefully they are getting their act together now and will finally give us Zetsubou-sensei DVD releases. I am also hoping Zetsubou will get mentioned at their panel at AX (assuming that they are attending) and that they'll have answers for us.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Shocked Huh? *Reads the article again just to make sure he isn't hallucinating* Huh? Pardon my shock, I'm just more familiar with Media Blasters licensing works such as Queen's Blade and Kanokon... they did license Zetsubou Sensei but that never saw an actual release.
Is there any fanservice in Bakuman? There's none that I can remember. Granted, I don't believe Squid Girl had any fan service in it either and they licensed that too.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:15 pm Reply with quote
The Mad Manga Massacre wrote:
Is there any fanservice in Bakuman? There's none that I can remember. Granted, I don't believe Squid Girl had any fan service in it either and they licensed that too.

Bakuman:
Genres: comedy, drama, romance
Themes: manga, school

Squid Girl:
Genres: comedy, slice of life
Themes: Beach, Invaders

Does that answer your question? Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Squid girl and Bakuman have a degree of fanservice. When I say fanservice I mean it in the tradtional sense that includes shout-outs, cameos, references, along with the sexual stuff.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Sigh this anime was very disappointing even with dubs its not even worth getting but if it hits on TV some where maybe I will watch it
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Toriko36 wrote:

The point that I am making is that if a good quality boxset of the entire season is available for cheap, this would deter consumers/customers of the media. The Anime industry as a whole is still suffering and this is just my opinion, offering a more substantial release of more episodes per set would be much more pleasing to the consumer.

Your solution for a suffering industry is to add more suffering. You expect bootleg level pricing on new releases when there are licensing fees and production costs that have to be paid for that bootlegs don't have to worry about. I wish you were trolling, but I have little doubt you're being sincere. Clueless, but sincere.
Sorraffy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:07 pm Reply with quote
I'm buying the manga right now but have never seen the anime so I might check it out.

And like a few others I'm surprised by MB getting this title since I figured VIZ would get it or, if not them, FUNi.

As for the ep count, disappointing but not a "deal breaker"

Quote:
If they do it the same way as Squid Girl, then we'll end up with four sets costing $24.99 MSRP each. That adds up to just under $100 for all four. Since the current standard for DVDs is 13 episode sets for $49.98 MSRP, a 25 episodes series like Bakuman would need to be released in two sets, which would add up to just under $100

If Bakuman does have a $25 MSRP then during a RightStuf sale that'll be about a $13 price point (lets just go with $14 for max value x 4 sets = 1st Season price of just under $60). That's assuming of course they go with the $25 MSRP.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:14 pm Reply with quote
The Count wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:
Zilan wrote:
hope this isn't their big title. If so what a disappointment.

Its media blasters, they haven't licensed an A-list anime title since Rurouni Kenshin. What do you want them to license? The third Evangelion movie?

There biggest titles in the past few years have been ecchi fare like Queen's Blade.
So Moribito, Genshiken and Tweeny Witches aren't quality titles in your mind?

By A-List I mean titles that are really well known title, people know about Bakuman as it was done by the same people as Death Note. Genshiken was fantastic but it's also not a well known title. Moribito apparently made money but wasn't well known, and the average anime fan has never heard of Tweeny Witches.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Never saw Bakuman, but it seems most of the reactions to it have been ones of boredom and disappointment. So while this announcement comes as a surprise, I hope M-B can do well with Bakuman.

Megiddo wrote:
TokyoGetter wrote:
So can we assume that Zetsubou Sensei just going to rot on the vine?

I have no idea why they have sat on that property for so long. If it's cause of Japan, then they should just say so. If it's because they don't think Americans will buy something that has intelligent, social commentary/satire mixed with dark humor then they should just say so.
Either that, or they rightfully fear that Americans won't buy a woefully inadequate subtitling job of a comedy anime that stuffs tons of gags into its walls of text.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:41 pm Reply with quote
I have seen more reaction of excitement and interest in Bakuman's voyeuristic look into the lives of manga-ka. Even within this thread most people are enjoying Bakuman.
configspace

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Actually Bakuman anime sticks to the manga almost exactly! The problem is that to some people, the pacing was slow. I for one, loved it. It actually reminds me of shounen sports anime with some romance thrown in. That's right sports--the way it's structured is very much like a sports anime with the sport being manga creation: contests/popularity rankings/editorial approval/serialiazation. It is surprising how much drama can revolve around that. It ends on a cliffhanger but there's another season anyways.

WRT the dub, I'm really curious how crazy Eiji will turn out
sepherest

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:31 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad Media Blasters was able to pick this series up, it'll probably do really well for them. I have a ton of their older releases and it seemed like they've been in a bit of a rut lately so I hope this and Squid Girl will help them out a bit.

They've also been one of the better companies when it comes to pricing too, like their $35 remastered Magic Knight Rayearth box sets and the entirety of Giant Robo (with extras and two different english dubs) for only $16. The pricing for Bakuman seems fine to me too, especially since it's not like most people are going to pick up every single volume in one go.
Ranma824

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Jaymie wrote:
I mean, the Bakuman Anime was a travesty that no one should be forced to watch, but the manga is still pretty popular (and a hundred times better).

Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
The Bakuman manga is one of my top five favorite manga series current ongoing and the anime is great as well.

firedragon54738 wrote:
Sigh this anime was very disappointing even with dubs its not even worth getting but if it hits on TV some where maybe I will watch it

configspace wrote:
Actually Bakuman anime sticks to the manga almost exactly! The problem is that to some people, the pacing was slow. I for one, loved it.

So uh... is pacing really the only reason for this difference of opinion?

I saw enough of the show to know that I liked the main girl, and her Mom!

Also, this isn't exactly the type of show that I need on BD, so I'd have no problem being an early adopter.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4