• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 8 Most In Demand English Voice Actresses of 2014

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:29 pm Reply with quote
I don't find the poll so disheartening. 25.5% bought 10 or more series, and likely the majority of the 24% who bought nothing watched legal streaming.

Of the list, I adore the ground Luci Christian walks on and I can barely stand to listen to Monica Rial. Smile Btw, shouldn't it have been a 4-way tie for 5th, according to "placing her in a tie for fifth place with Carli Mosier, Caitlynn French, and Luci Christian"?

As for name pronunciation, I can live with a mispronunciation, but what baffles me is dubs where each of the VAs pronounce the same name differently. Where is the director in those? There should at least be some sort of pronunciation Bible for a single series. It's especially jarring when several characters mention the same name in succession with different pronunciations. "Is SahSOOkay the one?" "No, it can't be SAHsookay!" "Yeah SAHskay's a bastard!" "If it's SAHsookee the kingdom is doomed!" Oy.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:33 pm Reply with quote
The poll results are pretty fantastic, actually. 76% of respondents bought something, and of those, like 80% said they bought more than two shows.

24% not buying anything is the minority.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:01 pm Reply with quote
@Akane the Catgirl

The Highschool of the Dead dub was well done. I know that many people hate the dub for both CLANNAD seasons, but I enjoyed it and found it to be of good enough quality. Penguindrum's dub was good with several strong performances, but it has some editing problems.

Other of the few Sentai dubs that I would recommend are the ones for Ghost Hound, Angel Beats!, Dusk Maiden of Amnesia and From the New World.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:18 pm Reply with quote
I guess I would've broken the poll scale with 39 in 2013 and 32 in 2014. Though averaged with much lower totals in 2008-12, it probably comes out to fewer than 10 per year.

angelmcazares wrote:
Let us give Sentai a round of applause because thanks to their churning out of rushed and mostly mediocre dubs subtitle script readthroughs, the VA's on this list have been getting a lot more work.
Fixed that for you. From among what I've seen, Angel Beats! was passable, High School of the Dead was good because the nature of the show played to Foster's strengths, and Demon King Daimao was just awful.

Gina Szanboti wrote:
I don't find the poll so disheartening. 25.5% bought 10 or more series, and likely the majority of the 24% who bought nothing watched legal streaming.
That kind of seems like wishful thinking that they're watching legal streams rather than illegal streams or downloads, but I guess it's more likely with this site's audience than elsewhere.
tehyar

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:43 pm Reply with quote
I've been able to pick out Luci Christian ever since her brilliant Yukari Tanizaki.
bs3311

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Apreciate the shout out to the new/old Sentai Filmwork VA's, FINALLY some good talent is noted! Laughing

KENZICHI wrote:
I want to meet Luci Christian so bad. She's one of my favorite voice actresses!

AMEN! I got both Clannad Blu-rays begging for her name to be written on them!!!

Akane the Catgirl wrote:
Hopefully, Sentai can pull their act together now that Steven Foster is gone. Hopefully is the key word here.

They have been pulling their act togethor even with Steven Foster as an ADR director. 2012 marked a subtle shift in the company, new/old talent returning, staff, scriptwriting, etc.

And yeah, watch H.O.T.D. dubbed. I enjoyed it even after watching the sub first, thats gotta say something Very Happy

Watemote is another good choice given its a solid start for Emily Neves as an ADR director. Though she worked on the side with other directors before. Script is not to strict and not to liberal, plus the scriptwriters did the wise choice in switching the word, "Bitch." with, "Slut." Given its culturally accurate not only in japan but in someplaces in the west.

Quote:
CLANNAD itself is a HUGE maybe. On the one hand, Steven Foster directed it. On the other, he only got his hands on the first thirteen episodes before being pulled off the project (presumably due to his bad behavior and he-just-doesn't-care attitude towards ADR dubbing) and replaced for the rest of the first season and After Story.

In a recent interview on Otaku review, he stated that he was having problems fitting in with Clannad. So he brought in some old star actors even from the old stuff from ADV to keep it afloat. And for someone that is the only director they know since the birth of ADV during an anime decline, I would'nt blame them. Though for a title he admitted to have trouble with, it still was a solid start for Seraphim Digital. The only actor I seem to have a problem with was Rozie Curtis, and that was with multiple background characters. And overall, it was not due to some, "He-Just-Doesn't-Care" attitude in ADR dubbing.

No, that would be Mike Mcfarland putting Brina Palencia as Rei Ayanami.

If he really did'nt care, which would mean not listening/expecting what his decisions would have in the dub. He would have just cast whatever bozoes he found to fit his fantasy ala Ghost Stories, and that was a great experiment. But were talking about CLANNAD!

He even stated that in the interview:http://www.otakureview.net/wp/?p=11603

Now Medaka Box fits the attitude your thinking, along with the H.O.T.D. OVA. Even though the OVA was bad in a good kind of way. Like Guin Saga 7 min comedy wonder!

Penguintruth wrote:
Ah, I love Monica Rial. She does fine work, even in casts who don't. Why, her and Emily Neves carried that Penguindrum dub a few years ago.

I agree with you again!? Though I was more interested in Maggie Flecknoe's performance instead of Emily Neves. The lip flap editing was too much to find alot of noteworthy praises from her IMO. Though it sounded like she was trying.

angelcazares wrote:
Other of the few Sentai dubs that I would recommend are the ones for Ghost Hound, Angel Beats!, Dusk Maiden of Amnesia and From the New World.

Though I like your selections given your dislike of Sentai Filmwork dubs, but I'm confused with your first statement of mediocrity/rush work when given Amnesia and FTNW are kinda recent dubs.

Zalis16 wrote:
Fixed that for you

By assuming Sentai Filmworks is still living in 2010?.........
Pls, Samurai Girls and Loups;Garus are the only ones meeting beyond that year criteria. Rolling Eyes
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Akane the Catgirl wrote:
Seeing as Sentai is being brought up, let me contribute by saying I have never ever seen any of their dubs. I've never seen a sub either, but that's beside the point. Hopefully, Sentai can pull their act together now that Steven Foster is gone. Hopefully is the key word here.

I keep hearing that name associated with terrible dubs. If they're so bad all the time, how does he keep finding work?
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
The poll results are pretty fantastic, actually. 76% of respondents bought something, and of those, like 80% said they bought more than two shows.

24% not buying anything is the minority.

I think people were focusing on the 0 purchases having a higher percentage than any other individual category, rather than focusing on buying something beating out buying nothing. Honestly, I'm impressed that the percentage of zero purchases was as low as it was. I guess I'm still used to hearing people saying, "What? You actually buy anime!?" This was a pleasant surprise.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:20 pm Reply with quote
bs3311 wrote:
angelcazares wrote:

Though I like your selections given your dislike of Sentai Filmwork dubs, but I'm confused with your first statement of mediocrity/rush work when given Amnesia and FTNW are kinda recent dubs.

Perhaps it is unfair of me to generalize all Sentai dubs as mostly mediocre. Before 2012 Sentai seemed to do a good with their QC in dubs probably because they did few dubs. Once they began dubbing a ton of stuff from mid 2012 to the end of 2013, the quality of their dubs diminished. I have heard very few Sentai dubs from 2014 releases, but they seem to be doing a better job now.

Also, notice how the majority of my examples of good Sentai dubs (including Clannad and High School of the Dead) are for releases from before mid 2012. I am not a fan of most Sentai dubs, but I do not think I hate them. I am not a very picky fan of dubs, but I expect Sentai dubs to be online with the quality of dubs from Funimation. Even Bang Zoom! seems to regularly deliver better dubs than Sentai.
bs3311

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:00 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

Perhaps it is unfair of me to generalize all Sentai dubs as mostly mediocre. Before 2012 Sentai seemed to do a good with their QC in dubs probably because they did few dubs. Once they began dubbing a ton of stuff from mid 2012 to the end of 2013, the quality of their dubs diminished. I have heard very few Sentai dubs from 2014 releases, but they seem to be doing a better job now.

Your fine, you gave some recomendations for dubs that I would give to people too. So I can't get angry at you since we kinda see eye to eye. Funny, I thought before 2012 they were pretty dull besides the good dubs like H.O.T.D/Needless. I was kinda annoyed with the lip flap issues, though they were not even close to severe as Medaka Box. Ef a Tale of Memores/melodies brought the vision i wanted to see with Sentai Filmworks in terms of QC in terms of dubbing on lip flaps.

Quote:
Also, notice how the majority of my examples of good Sentai dubs (including Clannad and High School of the Dead) are for releases from before mid 2012. I am not a fan of most Sentai dubs, but I do not think I hate them. I am not a very picky fan of dubs, but I expect Sentai dubs to be online with the quality of dubs from Funimation. Even Bang Zoom! seems to regularly deliver better dubs than Sentai.

I guess I'm reading to much of your Sentai dislikes instead of seeing the bigger picture about yourself.

For Bang Zoom! I see them with to much stiff scripting IMO, though I love some of there titles, though I get confused who dubs who, NYTV or Bang themselves recently Anime hyper.

Though Log Horizon's dub has'nt hit TAN yet, have ya seen it yet? BY GOD! I love it, and this is from a guy who yet again whatched it Subbed first. Though Nyanta as a jazz cat gentleman could probably make or break you lol.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:53 pm Reply with quote
bs3311 wrote:
Though Log Horizon's dub has'nt hit TAN yet, have ya seen it yet? BY GOD! I love it, and this is from a guy who yet again whatched it Subbed first. Though Nyanta as a jazz cat gentleman could probably make or break you lol.

I have not watched it. I will take a look at it if I find a legal way to do it; I do not subscribe to TAN and do not plan on buying the disc release either.
jymmy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:54 pm Reply with quote
I rarely listen to English dubs, and I listen to them a bit more often than I wind up finding them worthwhile. I think the director or producer or whatever it is is much more important than the voice actors.

For a quick example, three English dubs I've seen are those of School Rumble, Bamboo Blade and Strike Witches. They share quite a few voice actresses of the lead characters. I appreciate and really like the first two, respectively, but could not listen to Strike Witches for more than a few minutes. I thought Cherami Leigh was fantastic as Tamaki in Bamboo Blade but lousy as Yoshika in Strike Witches. I found Luci Christian great as BB's Kirino and especially SR's Tenma, but in SW as Erica I don't even have an impression.

Then again, unlike many I'm rarely interested in any particular Japanese voice actor voicing a character, unless it's Norio Wakamoto or possibly Satomi Arai.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:21 pm Reply with quote
This list really drives in how much Sentai re-use VAs. Caitlynn French is still new to voice acting yet she's already getting cast in every second dub they put out.

Still, I do like what I've heard of French. Her deadpan performance as Matsurika in Maria Holic was hilarious and as awkward as some of the dialogue is I really liked her as Mei in Say 'I Love you'. Plus she's apparently a huge fan of pro wrestling which I think is pretty cool.

Emily Neves has had a pretty good year and is already by far my favourite ADR Director at Sentai so I've got no complaints about her being at the top. I don't even like the show but casting Monica Rial as Tomoko in Watamote was a stroke of genius. It's a shame that the Chuu2 dub has been so heavily delayed because I'm really looking forward to it (even though my love for the show itself is pretty much non existent after Ren and that awful, awful recap movie).

Going back to Monica Rial I'm glad to see her high up on the list. I mean, you'd have to be pretty talented to consistently put out good performances when you work for Sentai Filmworks. Hell, Tomoko is probably one of her absolute best performances. I actually had the privilege of meeting her at a convention earlier this year and she was super nice. I also have to say that it was pretty great to be able to buy Azumanga Daioh and get it signed by Nyamo on the same day. She wrote 'PE rules! Yukari drools!' on the front cover which gave me a good laugh when I realised it later that day. She is a bona fide legend in the world of voice acting. And fortunately unlike Troy Baker and a few other great VAs she still regularly pops up in anime dubs whether it be something as big as DBZ or some obscure little show like Penguindrum (As others have said her and Neves practically carried the entire dub).

On the 3 hour train ride to get to Sydney so I could go to the con I played Danganronpa 2 on my PSVita to pass the time in which Stephanie Sheh did a fantastic job playing Mikan. Shut up, it's a great segway. I was a bit sceptical about her playing Sailor Moon but now that I've seen a few episodes I can't imagine anyone else playing her better.

I love Luci Christian and Brittany Karbowski but their 2014 was mostly Sentai dubs of shows I don't care about or, in the case of AKB0048, shows I watched subbed specifically so I didn't have to deal with Sentai. It still boggles my mind that the original Japanese AKB0048 with a big cast of idols who are literally amatuers in the world of voice acting only sounded a little bit rough around the edges at certain points yet the Sentai dub with a cast of people which all have far more experience sounded completely incompetent and amatuer-ish.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:36 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed how low and gruff Luci Christan sounded as Ayu Daikuuji from Rumbling Hearts (I'm almost done watching it). Smile

I think I must be the only with the thought that Sentai's overall quality of dubbing sounded better in the past, when it was ADV (other than a few train wrecks like Ghost Stories and Loups=Garous) but getting a bit worse in recent years...

On the poll for Cat Pokémon, I voted for Shinx because of its friendly smile that it has and its Ability that allows it to be more offensive when battling opponents of the same gender.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Cleaned up some posts that were chain-reacted as part of a certain user's inability to be articulate, coherent, and un-annoying.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5