• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Son of a Gunbuster

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wrangler

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:15 pm Reply with quote
It was enjoyable franchise with good balance of storytelling and being able goofy little bit. Right balance.

I wish other franchises would attempt the balance method of anime.
Bamble

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:53 pm Reply with quote
I loved Gunbuster, and quite enjoyed Diebuster too, but I'm not sure if the latter production comes even close to its forebear.

There's a school of thought that claims Gunbuster might have achieved significantly more popularity in the West if it had been dubbed, like so many of its contemporaries, and I tend to agree with this.

There's been some odd events surrounding missing M&E tracks for other series of similar vintage. Missing tracks didn't prevent AnimEigo (back when they were an active anime licensor) from creating a complete English dub for the original Bubblegum Crisis. Similarly, ADV did the same with the Dirty Pair OAV series.

However, a supposed lack of M&E tracks for the Dirty Pair TV series was commonly assumed to be a factor in ADV's failure to acquire that series for domestic distribution (presumably since it would have required more work than the much shorter DP OAV series). Nothing too objectionable about that... until it was pointed out that Dirty Pair TV had been dubbed in both French and Italian in 1989/1990. That's right, somehow in the intervening years, Sunrise had apparently mislaid the original Dirty Pair TV M&E tracks!

I always assumed that Gainax's creation of a new 5.1 track for the Gunbuster compilation edition might have been something of a prelude to a full-on 5.1 soundtrack for the original episodic version, thus creating a new set of M&E tracks to potentially used for dubbing into any other language, but it never happened.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Now that Khara has the EVA right will they now aprove when Kaworu´s face is being put on women´s underwear(did we all lol there) or if they commison another 15 Vol.+ harem manga.
Who exactly has to signs these forms now ?
@aravediggernalk or Char. Oh course but what about Sadamoto and his bro Kazuya Tsurumaki. Are they getting enough coke money too 'Cool' ?

Last edited by residentgrigo on Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:44 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:26 pm Reply with quote
They really don't make mecha series like these anymore sadly.
gravediggernalk
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:27 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
Who exactly has to signs these forms now ?
  • Put a piece of paper in fron of Anno for him to sign
  • He signs it
  • They hand him the keys to the truck loaded with the money he just made that is now sitting outside of the building
residentgrigo wrote:
@gravediggernalk or Char. Oh course but what about Sadamoto and his bro Kazuya Tsurumaki. Are they getting enough coke money too?
Surely they're getting their cuts for their work directing, designing, writing, etc. . . It's not like the money isn't there for them to get any.
toyNN

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Gunbuster really sticks with me as one of my favorite shows. Dealing with near light travel and the time related issues with little made-up physics. And how that all leads to such an amazing ending.

Plus the science lesson shorts to explain things with the chibi characters are great and surprised me since I thought (for whatever reason) chibi-character versions were kind of a newer creation.

Also, maybe its folklore but I recall reading they animated Gunbuster with much consideration of a budget (or perhaps getting paid). Don't know how true that is but when they are still on earth there is a scene with Noriko's clothing fluttering in the wind and I'm thinking that's got to be twice the frames animated as we get these days?
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:55 pm Reply with quote
I agree with Mike that it's a shame that "Gunbuster" never got an English dub. Hey,I also think it's unfair that the TV version of "Dirty Pair" didn't get an English dub either. I think they both deserve good dubs and I hope one day,they do get a restorative dub. I think it would be well deserved.
russ869

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Apollo-kun wrote:
Does anyone know the full story behind the effects and music tracks being lost for the original series? I had no idea about that, and would love to know why that's a thing that happened to what I consider to be one of the most prolific anime productions to date.

That can't be true. The Blu-ray release of the Gunbuster OVA in Japan had the original stereo track and a 5.1 track that was obviously new and rerecorded (the actors' performances definitely sound quite different). Even if the original music and effects tracks were lost, they clearly must have been found or recreated by the Japanese in order for them to do their own total redub.

Bamble wrote:
I always assumed that Gainax's creation of a new 5.1 track for the Gunbuster compilation edition might have been something of a prelude to a full-on 5.1 soundtrack for the original episodic version, thus creating a new set of M&E tracks to potentially used for dubbing into any other language, but it never happened.

It did happen. In 2012 for the Blu-ray release of the OVA.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Yep, Gunbuster will forever remain a classic in it's own right. I saw the series many years ago. I had to give it another look because it didn't grab me as I'm not really a big sci-fi fan. But it did make me a huge fan of Kohei Tanaka. I'm kind of disappointed at the last re-release of Gunbuster as many of the tracks were removed. I remember there was some odd "rights" thing as to why some tracks couldn't be retained for the US release by BVUSA. So it really needs a new release and done the way it was presented decades before. I guess once a BD version happens then maybe we'll see one.

As for Gunbuster 2. It's true, that series title always confused me because some called it GB2, but the inserts referred to it as Diebuster. But it was never called GB2, but called Aim for the Top 2! Diebuster. I saw this some years ago on the web, and my first impression of it was that I hated it and that there was no way it could be considered a sequel to the original GB considering how it ended. Why even make a sequel after all this time, when you know it's going to take a different turn. And yes, the designs pretty much throw it off. Hell, my friend was a huge GB fan and he dared not even delve deeper after seeing ep. 1. "This film shouldn't even be called sequel. Anything else, but it ain't Gunbuster". I could see that those that were fans of the original wanted a true sequel with designs by the original team. It would take me years later after Discotek acquired and released GB2, that I decided to literally do the unthinkable. Buy it and watch it. I had gone through a brief "Go Nagai" itch so I needed revisit the world of hot-blooded heroes and mecha, and GB2 ended up in my weekend queue along with MazinKaiser, MazinKaiser SKL, Shin Getter Robo, and Getter Robo Armageddon. Sure GB2 was different. It tosses out the deep sci-fi techno-babble that is prevalent in GB. The designs can't even be compared, like apples and oranges. It's flashy, and frenetic a reflection of what the new generation of Gainax is. And despite how goofy Nono is, it isn't until the final reveal that everything is explained. Like Lar'C I was judged the show too harshly without really taking the time to understand and appreciated it. Though I feel it could have been more.

Now I'm wondering is why Gainax is still on certain productions since early works will be transferred to Khara.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
They really don't make mecha series like these anymore sadly.

Depends on what elements you're looking for. Sidonia has tons of similarities.
EyeOfPain

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:00 am Reply with quote
I recently picked up Discotek's release of Diebuster, and enjoyed it, but never got around to seeing the original, though I've wanted to for years. I'm hoping that someone, like Discotek, is able to license and re-release the original Gunbuster. However, the longer I wait, the less likely it seems to ever happen...

maximilianjenus wrote:
and no mention on the biggest link between deibuster and gunbuster, the one that makes the posibility of a sequel all the more interesting ?

spoiler[
both die buster and gunbuster end at the same time. so a continuation can easily have characters form both.
]

As that is a spoiler, Mike likely elected to leave that detail out, in order to not spoil the readers who haven't yet watched Diebuster.

Apollo-kun wrote:
Does anyone know the full story behind the effects and music tracks being lost for the original series? I had no idea about that, and would love to know why that's a thing that happened to what I consider to be one of the most prolific anime productions to date.

Since Gunbuster was one of Gainax's first commercial products, I wouldn't be at all shocked if they were so disorganized, or simply ignorant, that it didn't even occur to them to save an M&E track for foreigners.

Chrno2 wrote:
As for Gunbuster 2. It's true, that series title always confused me because some called it GB2, but the inserts referred to it as Diebuster. But it was never called GB2, but called Aim for the Top 2! Diebuster. I saw this some years ago on the web, and my first impression of it was that I hated it and that there was no way it could be considered a sequel to the original GB considering how it ended. Why even make a sequel after all this time, when you know it's going to take a different turn. And yes, the designs pretty much throw it off. Hell, my friend was a huge GB fan and he dared not even delve deeper after seeing ep. 1. "This film shouldn't even be called sequel. Anything else, but it ain't Gunbuster". I could see that those that were fans of the original wanted a true sequel with designs by the original team. It would take me years later after Discotek acquired and released GB2, that I decided to literally do the unthinkable. Buy it and watch it. I had gone through a brief "Go Nagai" itch so I needed revisit the world of hot-blooded heroes and mecha, and GB2 ended up in my weekend queue along with MazinKaiser, MazinKaiser SKL, Shin Getter Robo, and Getter Robo Armageddon. Sure GB2 was different. It tosses out the deep sci-fi techno-babble that is prevalent in GB. The designs can't even be compared, like apples and oranges. It's flashy, and frenetic a reflection of what the new generation of Gainax is. And despite how goofy Nono is, it isn't until the final reveal that everything is explained. Like Lar'C I was judged the show too harshly without really taking the time to understand and appreciated it. Though I feel it could have been more.

How dare they try to create something new and different, instead of rehashing the same themes and characters ad nauseam!!!
Norbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:43 am Reply with quote
The BV 3 disc set was the first Anime DVD that I imported from the U.S. to here in Australia as soon as I got a multi region player.. It's a really nice and excellent quality digipack that still kicks arse when compared to most of the release as today. To this day it's still one of my top 5 anime purchases whether they are dvd or BR. But of course we don't buy anime due to packaging. If you do find it for a reasonable price, for you, then you won't regret it. Like I mentioned its a really nice quality package and a very helpful booklet containing episode info and short essays. When I purchased it it was going for around $25.

With the same order I also purchased the 4 -disc edition of Seven Samurai from The Criterion Collection and........ Sorry.

Also, in a moment of weakness I got the Japanese Complete Collection BR even though I don't speak or understand Japanese. A stupid move when I think about it, but I really enjoy the show. I watched it enough subtitled so I get the gist of what is being spoken. A disappointment with the Japanese set was that the original music wasn't used, and I was sure that they would have included Chariots of Fire, but alas it wasn't to be. But overall another beautiful package from Japan that for some reason the U.S./UK can't match. Even the new Bubblegum Crisis Premium Edition doesn't come close which I though had potential. But I'm getting of course......

But I was surprised at how much better the image became when they went to 35mm, absolutely stunning. It still looks beautiful and only in a way that only cell animation can. (I don't know if that last sentence is proper English, sorry)

But originaly it wasn't an easy show to get into with me missing all the in-jokes. Doesn't she have a Yamato or Kiki poster? I think that's the only one I got.

And Diebuster, I think I've watched episode 1 five times and just can't get to episode 2. The animation is nice and it shows that they put a lot of effort into the production, but as one poster earlier mentioned - it is a bit soulless. But who knows, maybe the sixth time will be the charm.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:20 am Reply with quote
Norbie wrote:
Also, in a moment of weakness I got the Japanese Complete Collection BR even though I don't speak or understand Japanese. A stupid move when I think about it, but I really enjoy the show. I watched it enough subtitled so I get the gist of what is being spoken. A disappointment with the Japanese set was that the original music wasn't used, and I was sure that they would have included Chariots of Fire, but alas it wasn't to be.

The Japanese Blu-ray does include the BGM that sounds a lot like Chariots of Fire, but you have to watch it with the 2.0 stereo audio on. That track features the original dub instead of the 2006 redub they did especially for the compilation movie, reuniting the original cast.
LovelyAngelPDX

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:27 pm Reply with quote
aeris2001x2 wrote:
Watched this again on Christmas Day...and yep, its still by miles my favourite Anime.

Better than Code Geass, Death Note, Naruto, Evangelion, Cowboy Bebop, One Piece, Monster, Ghost in the Shell, GITS SAC, Akira, Detective Conan, Gunslinger Girl, Macross, Patlabour 2 or any multitude of my other top rated Anime.

For more than two decades this was my ichiban favorite anime... but in 2011 it finally got knocked off top position by Madoka. Still, it's my #2 favorite series of all time. And Gunbuster and Bubblegum Crisis are the only two series that I have in four media formats: VHS, LaserDisc, DVD, and Blu-ray.
Lexomatic

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:16 pm Reply with quote
IMHO, Gunbuster and Gunbuster 2 require a certain mindset, learned from the kind of science fiction that's written, rarely filmed. Quite aside from the visual homages and in-jokes that can be harmlessly overlooked, the two stories are built using certain genre expectations, and a viewer who doesn't share that sensibility just won't grok them, any more than J. Random American will recognize and appreciate allusions to Japan's religious and mythological past. Remember the network complaints in 1966 that Star Trek was "too cerebral"? Yeah, it's like that -- and if you need Cliff's Notes to decode a story, of course you're not going to enjoy it viscerally.

How are they SF? The two stories are set on a BIIIIG canvas, in space and time. Humanity confronts its cosmic smallness, and the enemy isn't the kind you can declaim impassioned speeches at. They're "hard" SF (as opposed to shallow "cowboys with rayguns" adventure stories) in the sense that they establish rules and live by the implications -- characters don't conveniently develop new powers just because it's necessary to survive to a sequel. The time debt that Noriko suffers isn't strictly relativistic time dilation (no matter what the omake segments claim) but it's still a driving factor.

The Aim for the Ace! flavor of the first episode is harder to get past. Written SF is widely international, but sports anime haven't ever been.

Is Gunbuster 2 a sequel? Yes, but in a uniquely SF way, and the links are parceled out slowly -- once you attain the key insight "oh, it's thousands of years later" the weirdness is explicable, and you start looking for more clues. (The "Excelio black hole" or the fact that the "planet" Jupiter is an Eltreum-class starship.) And then there's a twist regarding the space monsters the Topless are fighting.

You need patience and trust, and in that sense it's a very literary SF story. If you blink you'll miss the key explanations, but at least they're more coherent and overt than in FLCL. This is an anime that rewards the scrupulous viewer; the flip side is being too clever for its own good (and Gunbuster 2 is hardly the only offender in that respect).

(The Scrapped Princess TV anime is a similar bait-and-switch -- it looks like sword-and-sorcery, then it turns into "humans quarantined by aliens." The Aquarion Evol TV series is, like Gunbuster 2, a sequel set a decamillenium hence, but lays out its clues more quickly; plus, the idea of a 12,000-year cycle was established in the first series.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4