• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Sunday Without God Blu-Ray

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:20 am Reply with quote
ljaesch wrote:
B00m23 wrote:
I really didn't like how spoiler[they revived Alice in the end] it just sort of...cheapened things a little.

I agree. That ending felt so forced, almost like it was decided that there needed to be some kind of a "happy ending" to the series.

You didn't understand the ending at all, did you. Ai reviving isn't forced, it makes perfect sense if you think about where they were at the time. I hate it when people go "it's forced" when they didn't even take the time to think about it.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:26 am Reply with quote
ThisJustThis wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:
Sherris wrote:
.....ON NO OCCASION WOULD SHE FOLLOW THE STRANGER WHO CRUELLY DISPOSED OF HER FRIENDS. NO WAY SHE WOULD BEHAVE AROUND HAMPNIE AS IF NOTHING HAPPENED AND VIEW HIM WITHOUT A TRACE OF SUSPICION AND RESENTMENT.....

Have to agree with that. You don't hang around the serial killer, that slaughtered everyone you knew and held dear.

This is an oversimplification. Her reasons for following him were a combination of curiosity, resentment, and having nowhere else to go. On some level, she also begins to realize that he wasn't just "killing" them, that "death" wasn't as simple as having your brains blown out or being buried, and that "life", persistence, and existence aren't universally good.

Yet, it's all super good and dandy when she supposedly wishes Alis to live after he seems to be killed off, and then he just comes back to life like nothing happened? This is totally inconsistent. We are supposed to believe that Hampnie was doing us all a favor by slaughtering dozens of innocent people who simply didn't wish to die, and yet we are also supposed to be as happy as squealing schoolgirls that Alis comes back to life in the end because Ai wants him to live so she can have her hunky cute bishie boyfriend?

No.

That's just one example too. There were numerous examples like this where the characters simply did not act as characters should, EVEN given the circumstances they were in. I am not the type of viewer who just says "Well, the writers have given us this situation where the world is messed up, so ANYTHING goes!! Even things that don't make any sense make perfect sense now! Because up is down and down is up!" That just doesn't work for me.
ljaesch

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:33 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
ljaesch wrote:
B00m23 wrote:
I really didn't like how spoiler[they revived Alice in the end] it just sort of...cheapened things a little.

I agree. That ending felt so forced, almost like it was decided that there needed to be some kind of a "happy ending" to the series.

You didn't understand the ending at all, did you. Ai reviving isn't forced, it makes perfect sense if you think about where they were at the time. I hate it when people go "it's forced" when they didn't even take the time to think about it.

After someone else in this thread explained this came from the original light novel material and how this event occurred, it does make sense. Unfortunately, the anime didn't convey what happened as well as it could have, so viewers who haven't read the light novels might not have picked up on it. Perhaps, as Alis shoved Ai out of the classroom, Ai's thoughts could have been heard (something short like, "I wish..."), then that could have been a clue to the viewer as to what happened there.

My husband and I talked about this last night. His main issue with the anime's ending is that it doesn't feel like an ending. There's several loose ends that are left unresolved, so it just feels like a "stopping point" instead of a conclusion. Obviously, since the light novels weren't finished at that point, this issue couldn't be helped.

It's too bad that the Sunday Without God anime didn't perform better in Japan, because that basically guarantees that there will never be another season to adapt the remaining light novels and bring a proper conclusion to the story.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:54 am Reply with quote
It gave you enough information to figure it out yourself. spoiler[ A wish was made while God was still around. That wish trapped everyone in the past. Since they were in the past, God was still present, thus wishing still worked. Thus Ai's wish to bring Alice back to like worked, and was granted by the God from the past world. Had they not been in a world that was stuck in the past, Alice could not have come back to life, because in the present world God is gone and wishing no longer works.]

As for the people "killed" during the first episodes, spoiler[ Every single person who should be dead, but is still alive, will eventually because a mindless, suffering zombie, unless they are given a burial. That's also the reason why the buried Ai's dad, because he didn't even want to risk turning into that. It's inescapable. ]
Calsolum

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:55 pm Reply with quote
well damn i just looked it up and saw that the light novel was completed, i was hoping this would continue on for a few more years and hopefully get another anime adaption to boost the LN sales but i must admit its better to end something when its still popular than to drag it on simply to make money (lookin in your direction jump)
looks like i gotta hope some translators pick this up or yen press or a similar company decide t translate it
gonna stop reading spoilers now cause i just accidentally read a LN one thinking it was bout the anime
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:02 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:

Yet, it's all super good and dandy when she supposedly wishes Alis to live after he seems to be killed off, and then he just comes back to life like nothing happened? This is totally inconsistent. We are supposed to believe that Hampnie was doing us all a favor by slaughtering dozens of innocent people who simply didn't wish to die, and yet we are also supposed to be as happy as squealing schoolgirls that Alis comes back to life in the end because Ai wants him to live so she can have her hunky cute bishie boyfriend?

What the heck is "inconsistent" about that?
It's a completely different situation.

And those "slaughtered" people were walking zombies.

I don't think you understood the series at all. You claim "these innocent zom-I mean people didn't wish to die" but there was no indication of that. Rather it hints in the other direction, that they were in fact, not happy, as Ai narrates:
Sometimes Yoki and Anna look at me with very sad faces. I wonder why?
They're dead. Their bodies still move but they no longer have the same joys of the living. Think about it. You get hurt or sick, you'll never heal. NEVER. You won't feel pain...but you won't feel ANYTHING. Not warmth or cold or any other sensation.

Sounds like an awful way to exist, if you ask me. And I never really thought what Hampnie did was completely justified. It falls more into a gray area....and the series treated it that way too. Ai and Yuri were upset with him. They didn't come around and say "Well, he did the right thing after all." at any point in the show.
SheRrIs

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:16 pm Reply with quote
ThisJustThis wrote:

This is an oversimplification. Her reasons for following him were a combination of curiosity, resentment, and having nowhere else to go. On some level, she also begins to realize that he wasn't just "killing" them, that "death" wasn't as simple as having your brains blown out or being buried, and that "life", persistence, and existence aren't universally good. The exploration of this is what makes it more interesting than other series that have either unkillable or disposable characters. Do you want a character to end? Is it right? Why do we love, resent, worship, or blame the thing that gives and takes everything we hold dear?

If you'd see a similar reaction in a kid her age IRL, you'd think that there's something very wrong with her, to put it mildly. Loss, even if unavoidable or necessary, triggers negative emotions in individuals concerned. It's abnormal not to experience said emotions when losing your guardians and neighbours in one sweep. Ai's whole life turned upside down, yet she doesn't seem to feel anything. It's as if she forgot that the village had ever existed once she sets out with the white-haired zombie slayer!

Ladies and gentlemen, what do we diagnose Ai with?
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:40 pm Reply with quote
The reason why Ai followed Hampnie is because;

1. Her whole village is dead, and she probably hasn't met anyone from outside her village before. He may have killed everyone but he can still be a guide.

2. He tells her that she isn't a gravekeeper. She wants to know what makes him say this. Only by following him can she get the answers she needs.

3. He has the same name as the man who was supposedly her father. So she possibly felt a kinship to him.

4. She's 12.

I'd say she has plenty of reasons to go with him. Maybe she shouldn't have, but she made the decision to do so. I believe the series gives us enough reasons for her to make that choice, even if it wouldn't have been the choice that we, as the watchers would have made.

Although it does work out in the end.
ThisJustThis

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:12 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
I am not the type of viewer who just says "Well, the writers have given us this situation where the world is messed up, so ANYTHING goes!! Even things that don't make any sense make perfect sense now! Because up is down and down is up!"

The premise is that people do not die, so their world is a reversal of the real world in the most fundamental way. I'm not arguing that the story is consistent, and I don't like the ending either, but it shouldn't just be dismissed as being unrealistic or not making perfect sense.

As for Ai's age, it never really occurred to me. The beginning just has this timeless, stagnant feel, like everything has been going on like that forever in an endless routine, until the illusion vanishes and she goes from being eternally a "kid" into something else. It isn't really the loss of the village that she experiences, more of a reminder that despite how things seemed, they were already gone. She hasn't forgotten that it existed, she remembers it doesn't exist anymore. With that, she's no longer Ai the village's little girl gravekeeper, and she leaves so she can figure out who she really is.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:28 pm Reply with quote
She does NOT compare to Aki toyosaki
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:31 am Reply with quote
Cyclone1993 wrote:
The reason why Ai followed Hampnie is because;

1. Her whole village is dead, and she probably hasn't met anyone from outside her village before. He may have killed everyone but he can still be a guide.

2. He tells her that she isn't a gravekeeper. She wants to know what makes him say this. Only by following him can she get the answers she needs.

3. He has the same name as the man who was supposedly her father. So she possibly felt a kinship to him.

4. She's 12.

I'd say she has plenty of reasons to go with him. Maybe she shouldn't have, but she made the decision to do so. I believe the series gives us enough reasons for her to make that choice, even if it wouldn't have been the choice that we, as the watchers would have made.

Although it does work out in the end.

There is only one reason that makes sense, and that is because the writers wrote it that way. That is the sole and only reason she stayed with that killer.

It is like saying that Newt is going to follow the aliens home to the atmospheric processing plant, after they killed everyone she knew and cared about. It makes absolutely no sense. If she needed answers that bad, she would have followed him out of sight, and then put a knife to his throat while he slept and then got her answers. Then she would have disposed of him as callously as he disposed of those she cared about. Otherwise she would have just run and hid until he left.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:06 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
ljaesch wrote:
B00m23 wrote:

It's really just an issue of it being a cop out from an anime viewer perspective. They made a big emotional deal about red head sacrificing himself only to suddenly bring him back in the final seconds of the episode. I could only say..................ok? and not much else. The whole strongly wishing for something plot device is a stupid one to begin with too honestly. I though Ai losing him would a great chance for her to develop and show that no matter how hard you try you can't fix some situations. Since Ai is clearly your typical naive little girl protagonist such a development wouldn't be out of place since in this kind of world it makes sense that her idealistic whims would have to change.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:27 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
There is only one reason that makes sense, and that is because the writers wrote it that way. That is the sole and only reason she stayed with that killer.

It is like saying that Newt is going to follow the aliens home to the atmospheric processing plant, after they killed everyone she knew and cared about. It makes absolutely no sense. If she needed answers that bad, she would have followed him out of sight, and then put a knife to his throat while he slept and then got her answers. Then she would have disposed of him as callously as he disposed of those she cared about..

Right, because a 12-year-old girl with a loving personality is capable of doing that. Rolling Eyes

Secondly: she thought he was her father and spoiler[she was right.]

Your alien/Newt comparison is inadequate because you left out that very important detail.

Quote:
I though Ai losing him would a great chance for her to develop and show that no matter how hard you try you can't fix some situations. Since Ai is clearly your typical naive little girl protagonist such a development wouldn't be out of place since in this kind of world it makes sense that her idealistic whims would have to change.

I have already seen this plot in Gurren Lagann and I do not care to see it AGAIN, thanks.
That ending was horrible.

Anyway, you've got it backwards. Ai is supposed be the world's light of hope. Not just another soul to get dragged down in its dark despair.
GalicianNightmare

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
She does NOT compare to Aki toyosaki

I find it very foolish to compare two completely different people speaking two completely different languages with two completely different inflections, stresses and so on. If this was an Italian show dubbed in Sardinian or even Corsican, then you may have a point.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:20 pm Reply with quote
@Chiibi

You have a point there.

spoiler[Still think her father got off too easy. He should have been dragged down to Hell for his actions, after his final death.]

Ai, herself, should have been more conflicted in the aftermath of her town's massacre. Yeah, spoiler[its her father, ] but he is still a stranger that killed everyone she knew and cared for. These people were still thinking and feeling people, who cared for and raised Ai.

It is a major disconnect, that you have to get past to enjoy the rest of the story.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4