• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - Long Lost Anime Twins

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Melicans wrote:

Plus a character from Black Cat even showed up in one of the last chapters of the To Love-Ru manga. A definite crossover.

it gets better, in teh manga, the black cat from black cat shows there (as in trian heartnet, the mc ); also kyouko is pretty much the same case as yami/taerju , she is a fire using alien idol in to love ru, fire user schoool girl in black cat; it feels more like alt universes.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:27 pm Reply with quote
I mentioned this a couple of times back when Say I Love You was first simulcast in 2012, but Yamato Kurosawa reminded me quite a bit of Kumohira Tobari from Nabari no Ou.

7jaws7

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:44 pm Reply with quote
After seeing both Soul Eater and Cowboy Bebop, I always thought that Mifune was the anti-Vicious.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:45 pm Reply with quote
I find that the Black Cat and To-Love Ru characters resemble each other the most.
Green Luthor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't be shocked if Edward Wong Hau Pepulu Tivrusky IV (Cowboy Bebop) was either related to or grew up to be Haruko Haruhara (FLCL). (Yeah, I'm sure it's just me.)
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:53 pm Reply with quote
LokiReed wrote:
Unfortunately, the Oscars always go with whatever movie Disney put out that year. And the only reason Spirited Away won that one time was because Disney decided to back it, instead of they're own (being Lilo & Stitch) that particular year. A lot of the members of the academy have actually admitted to not seeing most of the animated films and just picking Disney's movies at default. It kinda makes me sad that nothing else really gets a chance at an Oscar, just because they think that animated movies are all for children, and don't view them as being works of art, or important in any way.

Anime even less so. The mainstream view is that anime is also strictly children's entertainment and that it all looks like Dragon Ball Z or Sailor Moon (or, to a lesser extent, Pokémon). Anime is also that thing that people in Hollywood/Burbank prefer to pretend doesn't exist unless it's Ghibli, which admittedly is probably the sole reason it got nominated in the first place.

Roger Ebert took great measures to try to tear down the Animation Age Ghetto, but even he couldn't make so much as a dent in the wall. We have people like Seth MacFarlane trying to do so on the comedy side, but it won't happen on the action side until a good number of influential anime fans break into the business.

varmintx wrote:
I wish the new poll had 2 questions: who do you think will win and who do you want to win.

Considering this is Anime News Network, that'd be rather lopsided, between there being a lot of anime fans here, but also because there are a lot of people who dislike western animation too.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:03 pm Reply with quote
My favourite recent expy: Popura (Poplar) Taneshima from Working!!/Wagnaria! and Komari Koshigaya from Non Non Biyori: brown-haired, innocent, short-for-their-age-and-often-mistaken-for-elementary-school-girls and, of course, voiced by Kana Asumi.

All-time expy: Haruka Tenoh/Sailor Uranus from Sailor Moon and Maruko Maruko from Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou (manga-only): tomboyish, short blonde hair cut like a man (well, okay, Maruko's hair probably doesn't grow as she's a robot), cool, distant attitude, not afraid to be blunt.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
clipeuh

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:11 pm Reply with quote
I remember seeing these two next to each other on a seasonal chart and thinking "welp, this is as cut-and-paste as it gets".
Laughing
FireballDragon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, when I saw Kyou and Ryou in CLANNAD, I was like "Are those Kagami and Tsukasa?!" Thank you for putting them in the list.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Decim (Death Parade) and Yaichi (House of Five Leaves)

Next week, anime characters that look like real people! Wink

Kaji (Evangelion) and Billy Campbell -- Kazkis (Ergo Proxy) and Russell Crowe
. . . . . . . . . .
Northlander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Oh... oh... I have one.

Kyo from Fruits Basket and Akito from Kodocha.

Give Akito a couple 'o years, and he'll become Kyo. More or less.
TheBlackGirlGamer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Don't forget masamune from beyblade and Gon from hunter x hunter.

...minus the red streak.

Last edited by TheBlackGirlGamer on Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:04 pm Reply with quote
I have no idea who will win best animation. I am pretty confident that Boyhood will win best picture but I feel best animation is still up in the air which makes it a very interesting award this year.

As for pet names I have a ginger tabby named Kyo.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Northlander wrote:
Oh... oh... I have one.

Kyo from Fruits Basket and Akito from Kodocha.

Give Akito a couple 'o years, and he'll become Kyo. More or less.

Are they also both voiced by Jerry Jewell?

Tenchi wrote:
My favourite recent expy: Popura (Poplar) Taneshima from Working!!/Wagnaria! and Komari Koshigaya from Non Non Biyori: brown-haired, innocent, short-for-their-age-and-often-mistaken-for-elementary-school-girls and, of course, voiced by Kana Asumi.

You forgot the most obvious example from Working/Wagnaria. Jun Satou and Sanji from One Piece.

Also, one other pair of look-alike characters are Takuto from Star Driver in his Galactic pretty boy form and this one guy from Yugioh Zexal (Quattro is his name apparently. Never consistently watched Zexal to both to know the names well). You would think that with a franchise featuring specific designs of characters with abnormal hair and jackets that defy gravity, it would be impossible to have one character look like another from a different show. But these two not only have the same design, but even the same smirk.

Last edited by Hypeathon on Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Running Wild

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:22 pm Reply with quote
All characters in KyoAni productions look exactly the same.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7