• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANN 2015 Survey Feedback

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MidoriUma

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Against my better judgement, I filled out the survey. My fears appear to be well founded, as you're clearly trying to build marketing data (fortunately I use adblockers). Still, there's an off chance that you might improve the site with this data, so I'll cross my fingers.
Chocolate Misu

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:58 pm Reply with quote
What I would like to see fixed on this site -

1 - More hobby articles (gunpla, recipes, crafts)
2 - More mentions of obscure titles headed westward
3 - ANN contests wrapped up in a timely fashion
jsc315

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:00 pm Reply with quote
I got to say I was highly amused that in that very long list of interests other then anime, masturbation was an option! Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
chronos02

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:24 pm Reply with quote
I would like to see ANN in some other languages, such as French and Spanish.

I believe you guys are doing an amazing job to keep everyone up to date with many kinds of news from the world of anime, manga, and related stuff in Japan, and although I prefer reading in English, making the ANN articles available in more languages would be great for many people who are either lazy or don't understand english. Thanks to the quality ANN has, it would spread like wildfire, and in due time it would be nice to include articles aimed at those territories (releases in France, Spain, etc.).

It would also be nice to have articles that compare different editions of anime and manga, such as the Japanese Blu-ray vs the NA Blu-ray and the like.

Besides the above, I would be really pleased to have an app with notifications of when an article is released, you could very well include certain functionalities from the app as an exclusive to subscribers, such as a favourites list, a filter for the main page, instant alerts for new articles, and a bunch of stuff that is not available through the normal website.

Finally, maybe I'd want to see a weekly news about the special offers in Japan and the US for Anime Blu-rays and DVDs, Manga, Games, and Light Novels, with the shops offering these discounted articles, exclusive extras, and whatnot.

Hmm, and also... maybe a monthly article about how to detect bootleg figures, where to buy official merchandise, who to import from, and what are the most dangerous places in terms of unofficial/bootleg merchandise.

More Stuff keeps coming to my mind, but I'll leave it at that.
Dessa

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
I kind of enjoyed the survey, but I'm surprised there were no options for N/A. In other words there are questions that may apply to those that may participate in what they're asking, but there is no option for those that don't or minor involvement. So you end up having to pick an answer just to continue with the survey. Like, I have no plans of buying anything. Because I've done it. I'm surprised there was no entry for what type of equipment do you own to watch your anime.

You could've left the question blank. There were 2 or 3 that I left blank because they didn't apply to me.
Videogamep

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Calathan wrote:

For general feedback, the thing I would most want to see is for submissions to the Encyclopedia and error reports to get processed faster. I have some submissions that have been waiting for years. There is one thing I've been waiting for that someone else first reported 9 years ago. I know Dan is working on a new version of the Encyclopedia, but I don't really think that will solve the problem. You can already vote in support or against new submissions and error reports, but even the ones with lots of votes rarely get acted on. I would gladly pay more for my subscription if I knew the extra money would go to processing the submission queue and error reports. I know that Dan is very busy with other things for the site, but if there was any way he could spend even just a few hours a month to tackle some of the oldest submission queue entries and error reports, I think it would really help a lot with the backlog.

I agree. Some submissions take months before they're actually looked at. There should be a more efficient system since that lets possible mistakes stay in the encyclopedia for a long time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:22 pm Reply with quote
After doing it, I do have one complaint: The question about going to Japan someday. There should be a third option saying "I have already been there" and the same for learning to Speak Japanese like "I have already learned".

I'm saying this as someone who's been to Japan twice.

Though I have no interest in learning Japanese, I just think it would be fair to put it under the same standard...
aquadon1963

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:26 pm Reply with quote
i think you guys /gals are doing a great job
upgrades i would love to see
1) an additional choice in the encyclopedia / on the search for titles by genre page of ( japanese / with sub titles) OR (DUBBED in english) i understand that newer titles change from sub to dub (sometimes within months ) but with time this could be dealt with.

another option would be to just have a system of (S) for sub (D) for dubbed and (HYB) for hybrids
right with the titles on the search results pages
(and maybe even the other languages the titles have been translated to)

2) For A.N.N. to be a bit more pro active in letting the anime companies know which titles Dub LOVERS would be interested in seeing / buying

or better yet a monthly pole of those who would buy/ watch on streaming (said title) if it were dubbed.
BUUUUUT with the added option for buyers of wether it be Standard / LE or Collectors edition that they would buy....

and taken a step further which OP or license rescue titles that folks would be willing to buy if a dubbed version created (especially if said title were being prepared for re-release)

I myself would even be into pre-paying for titles i would like to own dubbed ...so it could take some of the risk factor out of dubbing some titles ( For new releases this is mainly directed at Sentai ... i cringe now every time i read of them licensing a title i was hoping Funimation would get for Sentai only seems to dub about 40% of their new acquisitions )(For older releases it could mean a new lease on life such as City Hunter and Your Under Arrest Season 234
etc.

And take the results from the polls and get them into Licensing companies hands
Lili-Hime

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:43 pm Reply with quote
I appreciate that yuri/yaoi and doujinshi were options Smile lol I wish there was more articles on classic anime like things from the 80s or 90s (or even 70's!) I tend to like those art styles a little better especially Leiji Masumoto or 90's shoujo stuff. Maybe there are other sites that cover that kind of anime??? There could be a lot that i just don't know about. But for example I really like the buried treasure column kind of gives me a list of stuff to try and find and watch, it would be great to have something like that again.

Also have you guys ever thought about doing news / reviews of any non japanese animation? There's a lot of anime influence in shows like Steven Universe, Adventure Time or Star vs the Forces of Evil. As I get more disinterested with a lot of the moe style in anime these days I find myself watching more shows like the ones above. I know sum hardcore anime fans might scream 'heresy!' at the thought of Cartoon Network or Disney shows being covered but its something I'd be interested in and I don't know of any sites that rly cover that kind of stuff... except maybe those big 'nerd culture' sites which are 99% about superheroes which I care nothing about. Idk its just with so much overlap these days it seems like it'd be relevant, you know what with a lot of western animators having been brought up on anime these days.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:24 pm Reply with quote
I didn't read the comments already posted in this thread so sorry if there are any repeats.

- I think it would be good to have a submission form on the website for news instead of requiring us to send an email.

- I check the forums exclusively by searching for threads I've participated in. It would be nice if there was a way to remove certain threads from showing up in those results. Maybe if you respond to a thread, you are automatically subscribed to it (without email notifications) and there is a page to see those subscribed threads, and you can unsubscribe yourself manually. I don't really like seeing a thread from however long ago suddenly pop up again, or new posts of threads I no longer read.

- A text transcript of ANNCast would be nice. Sometimes the topic that is being discussed sounds interesting but I don't have the time to listen. I'd rather just quickly read it instead.

Oh yeah, and I couldn't answer some of the questions because they were assuming the responder has never been to Japan and doesn't speak Japanese. Kind of living there right now and there weren't any choices to reflect that. ^^; The questions can be easily skipped, but I would think that ANN would be interested in those kinds of stats.

Anyway, I think ANN is doing a fine job. (Though I would like to change my forum username if that were to be possible again...)
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:23 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
Also, is Astro Toy still going on?

Last we were told it was changing formats and getting a new writer, but it showed up in this poll as a former article so I guess they scrapped those plans with no intentions to bring it back. It's a shame, I write about this stuff regularly and like to see what others think.

Also fully agree on getting more news about light novels. Now that those are finally being translated regularly I find I read them more than manga.

Also kinda amusing how the poll turned into an illegal stream database.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cosmos503
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:33 am Reply with quote
First, ANN is my #1 site for Anime news, keep it up!

Like the prior responder, I haven't read any one else's (though I concur with their request for a text transcript of ANNCast ...rarely do I have an hour to sit and listen but the few I have listened to were enjoyable and informative).

My #1 request, is to bring back the old version of the Stream...I get it, too much for one person to watch (good thing really hehe), but it was the best way to quickly scan what new stuff was going on in the season, and to maybe pickup a show I initially skipped (never would have found chihayafuru if not for Bamboo for example). With the separate reviews as currently done, I only glance at one or two after I have watched an episode to see what they thought (more confirmation bias instead of discovering new shows).

Finally, more news from Funimation, especially what shows they plan to dub...I prefer that and ended up mid-season last season stop watching some shows to wait for the dub to catch up...now I am waiting before watching any of the current seasons stuff until they announce what will be dubbed.

again thanks for being you

Doug
Ingcoliptis

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:35 am Reply with quote
1. On the Topic of AdBlock: I think there should be something saying "please don't block ads". Kind of generic, but I wasn't even aware that ANN ran ads until this survey, and I bet there are other people that use AdBlock and don't know. Most people download it and forget about it, so something asking to turn it off might alert people that they should turn it off (which I am promptly doing in response).

2. On the topic of a subscription service: I was unable to elaborate, as there was no text box, and the answer box was restricted to numbers, but I feel that "special perks" isn't enough information to put a price on. I suggest creating some kind of rough draft, and slowly revising it, with feedback from a select group (most likely that participated in the survey)/anyone on ANN. This will give more clarity as to what features warrant X dollars, and can be presented as a whole in the future. I would like to see a "standard" package, with some good features, that would allow new users, or people that are afraid to sink too much money in, a chance to support the site a little bit, but also benefit from doing so. Then, there would be the "Premium" package (names are obviously generalized and exchangeable) package, which would come with significantly more than the "Standard", but not at an even ratio for cost (in benefit of the user). This would give incentive for "Standard" members to upgrade for a small amount but gain more than the initial subscription (in additives), but also push first time subscribers who are a little more active on the site/want a more "complete" package can get that, at a fair price, that wont break their bank.

There could be a lot of holes in these, and it could also be wishful or shortsighted of me to think in the way that I presented it, but I hope you can use these ideas in any was, shape, or form to improve the site in any way possible. I really enjoy using this sight because of the information it provides me. I want to see it grow and expand until its not just reputable, but somewhere everyone in the English-speaking anime community knows about (the Death Note of anime news sites, per se), So I hope that everyone that cares about this site provides feedback, so that it can become it's greatest version.

(P.S. sorry about the length, I kind of got really into it.)
~Ing
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:13 am Reply with quote
Re: ad-block and premium memberships.

I think a lot of people who use ad-block do so for the same reason I got a premium membership. Sometimes ads can be so intrusive and/or distracting that it can be an unpleasant experience to even visit a site.

I got a premium membership specifically to block those video ads that would play endlessly and keep pages from loading efficiently. I noticed that you guys decided to get rid of all those javascript mouseover ads that would embed automatically in the text of articles (kudos for that!), but at the time, they were also a big reason for me to get a premium so I wouldn't encounter them. I think that if ads weren't so horribly noisy, dysfunctional and intrusive, people wouldn't resort to adblock as much as they do.

I'm probably bothered by advertising more than most people anyway, so if I visit a site frequently, it is worth my money to me to get ad free browsing. I realise that advertising is necessary for survival, so I am willing to pay good money to support a site that I visit often, as I do ANN.
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:16 am Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
Bring Pile of Shame back

I second this. I like The Mike Toole Show, but I found the in-depth reviews of Pile of Shame were very helpful and entertaining. (Re: this: )

Justin Sevakis wrote:
Also, there's only so much appetite for articles on old and obscure anime, and Mike Toole frankly does a better job covering the bases.

residentgrigo wrote:
Edit: Calathan makes a good point with encyclopedia errors. That should be a priority above else.

I also would like to see more resources devoted to the Encyclopedia.

Calathan wrote:
However, I was looking it over and noticed that RightStuf wasn't a choice for favorite anime company (it was listed under retailers, but not in the earlier question where the choices were licensors). I would like to vote for them as my favorite licensor.

I second this. I voted for Discotek, but only because TRSI (Nozomi Entertainment/Critical Mass Video) and AnimEigo weren't on the list.

checarlos87 wrote:
I liked the idea of bringing Brain Dive back (actually learned of the column on the survey itself).

Brain Diving is my second choice (after Pile of Shame) for a column to bring back.

Chrno2 wrote:
I kind of enjoyed the survey, but I'm surprised there were no options for N/A. In other words there are questions that may apply to those that may participate in what they're asking, but there is no option for those that don't or minor involvement. So you end up having to pick an answer just to continue with the survey.

I second this.

Chrno2 wrote:
I'm surprised there was no entry for what type of equipment do you own to watch your anime.

I own two (non-functional) DVD players, a laserdisc player, and two VHS decks, one of which is broken and the other of which still needs to be tested. I plan to buy a PlayStation 3 in the near future as a BD/DVD player.

Lastly, a second "Other" option for "Outside of anime and manga and other Japanese culture related interests, what are your other favorite hobbies / activities / interests ?" would have been helpful.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7