• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Monster Musume (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:09 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
louis6578 wrote:
This is... kinda creepy and scary, not funny.

Comedy is a hit or miss affair.

If there is anything predictable about it, it would be that if you do the same thing too long to the same audience it ceases to be funny.

Granted we have a little bit of a twist here -- girls are actual monsters rather than just figurative monsters -- and if it were not for that this anime would be falling totally flat.

Even so I have had enough of rib crushing, asphyxiation, poleaxing and ballistic violence on the main male character already. Let's hope we move on to other things.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:37 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:

If there is anything predictable about it, it would be that if you do the same thing too long to the same audience it ceases to be funny.

That is debatable, Seinfeld used the same brand of comedy until the final episode and it was not cancelled due to low ratings. The same could be said about Urusei Yatsura. Some people get tired of some kinds of comedy as there are people that get tired of anime as a whole, YMMV.

{Edit: Please don't over-quote. Thanks. ~ Psycho 101}
Shikiari

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:08 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Even so I have had enough of rib crushing, asphyxiation, poleaxing and ballistic violence on the main male character already. Let's hope we move on to other things.

Just using your quote so I don't have to repeat you, but Kurusu is going to suffer all those things and more most of the time, so we all better get used to it or this is going to be a long long season.

There is an apparent reason why Kurusu isn't dead yet from these injuries, but it involves a character that hasn't been introduced in the anime previews and it's entirely possible she won't be.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Shikiari wrote:
There is an apparent reason why Kurusu isn't dead yet from these injuries, but it involves a character that hasn't been introduced in the anime previews and it's entirely possible she won't be.

Must be Captain Falcon. Who else could teach him to punch like that?
louis6578

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:59 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
This is... kinda creepy and scary, not funny.

mangamuscle wrote:

Comedy is a hit or miss affair.

HaruhiToy wrote:

Granted we have a little bit of a twist here -- girls are actual monsters rather than just figurative monsters -- and if it were not for that this anime would be falling totally flat.

{Fixed your overquoting. ~nobahn}

Thank you. That's basically what I'm trying to say. The show needs to show me that it can stand above this handicap it gave itself by giving in to the overused tropes of harem shows.

PS: Am I the only one who thinks this would be played for drama or horror if the genders were simply reversed?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:38 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
PS: Am I the only one who thinks this would be played for drama or horror if the genders were simply reversed?

Of course, physical violence on a lady is seen as a big no-no. But you will see a number of equivalents instead in shoujo orientated shows where the guy forces his own will onto the girls, or even some cases verbal abuse. Such examples are Ouran High, Amnesia, Blue Spring Ride, Brothers Conflict, Hakuoki, Kamigami no Asobi, Kamisama Hajimemashite, and Wolf Girl and Black Prince. It is not physical abuse, but there is obviously a line being crossed, but to some extent it is fetishized, you will even see it as a part of shows with popular BL pairings, a guy pushes someone down and says that they are theirs. I think to some extent it is in something like Sailor Moon where Tuxedo Mask kisses the clearly unconscious Usagi that he finds and apparently that is romantic.

I think the reason some are giving some leeway here is that the girl is not human, her own strength is something she has trouble controlling, and it is biological. Although what comes to mind would be bringing up Diabolic Lovers where the shounen boys are vampires and thus have to act controlling, but no that is an example of it going too far. At least in this case we can see that she cares about the boy, and he is largely taking it so that she can become a part of the world.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:40 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Such examples are Ouran High, Amnesia, Blue Spring Ride, Brothers Conflict, Hakuoki, Kamigami no Asobi, Kamisama Hajimemashite, and Wolf Girl and Black Prince.

You left out My Little Monster, which is the first thing that I thought of in that line of comparison. Shizuku gets knocked around by Haru quite a bit at first due to his rage issues as I recall.

But if you really want to see the ultimate violence-against-the-hapless/horny-male-is-funny genre your ultimate choice will be Prison School, now under horrified review in a nearby thread.
louis6578

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Guys, I really don't like the double standard here. "Yeah, Monster Musume has the guy getting nearly killed by each girl at least twenty times per episode, but have you seen the way the twins from Ouran act some times? And Kyoya even told Haruhi to shut up once."

Emotional abuse would be a godsend right now in Monster Musume. You know what I really want to see in anime? An anime that takes an abusive, female on male relationship and plays it for serious drama rather than wacky hijinks~! The closest we get is Future Diary, and even then it messed up when Yuki actually fell in love with Yuno AFTER she kidnapped him, but I'm getting off track. Monster Musume rants now, Future Diary rants another time.

Plus, if the abuse in Monster Musume is TRULY accidental, that only makes it worse because it keeps happening. Honestly, if we're doing risk vs reward, risk wins by a mountain. This man is martyring himself. If this were realistic, the man would be experiencing psychological damage within the next few years.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:01 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
Monster Musume rants now

How about never? Your one man crusade to "save us from the evils of a comedy anime" *snort* has grown beyond tiresome. Maybe you are delusional about the fact that this anime will not change no matter how much you post here, even if you learned japanese and posted in the same forums the studio crew is watching, there is no such thing as a change of setting in the mid of a series, this will continue as per the original manga.
nohbody

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:03 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
Guys, I really don't like the double standard here.

Yes, we're aware that you don't. However, I think you're beating a dead horse at this point.

Getting back to the anime itself:

I felt it did a very good job of adapting the intro chapters of the manga to the anime format. Decent animation and voice acting, light on the censorship, and most importantly -- they didn't rush or mess too much with the manga's plot (so far). All important elements in a good adaptation.

I give this episode a thumbs up.

BTW, the Ending song ROCKS!
louis6578

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:25 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
louis6578 wrote:
Monster Musume rants now

How about never? Your one man crusade to "save us from the evils of a comedy anime" *snort* has grown beyond tiresome. Maybe you are delusional about the fact that this anime will not change no matter how much you post here, even if you learned japanese and posted in the same forums the studio crew is watching, there is no such thing as a change of setting in the mid of a series, this will continue as per the original manga.

I guess you're right. If you guys like the humor of this show despite how repulsive I find it, that's your business. With any luck, a miracle will happen to save this from being my personal worst show of 2015. I'll keep watching it.
Shikiari

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:13 pm Reply with quote
I never do understand why people watch a show that they find repulsive, and then complain about it afterwards.

I've taken some information on both Kurusu and Miia from the Monster Musume wiki, hoping that it may shed some light on the dislike of the first episode and why she acts like that.

Kimihito Kurusu

The girls seem to fall in love with him simply because he is nice, friendly and modest, and because he treats the "monster" girls as ordinary, real people—not as exotic or dangerous monsters. Considering everything happening to him and going on around him, he has a very patient but long-suffering nature and he accepts being put upon by Ms. Smith (and later the girls of the MON squad) with a good grace, but he does care very much about his house-guests' well-being.

Miia

She has a pleasant personality and has a very strong crush (both figuratively and literally, considering that her species is a constrictor) on Kimihito—actually on the brink of the obsessive, with a touch of [[Overly Attached Girlfriend|OAG]]: all lamia are female—they need a human male for procreation and are very passionate about their partners. As she sees herself as the primary marriage candidate for Kimihito, she is often in conflict with the other girls.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Shikiari wrote:
I never do understand why people watch a show that they find repulsive, and then complain about it afterwards.

That would make more sense in the 20th century, when every season there was a very limited number of TV series (and the good stuff were OVAs you had to buy to see) so if was plausible that none of the new series were of your liking, so you would watch reruns until next season or take the risk and buying an OVA of a series you have never seen or rant all season long.

Buy ATM we live in an age of plenty, going by anichart, this summer season we have 33 new series (each 10+ full length episodes), plus 9 leftovers from the previous season, plus 14 short (4-15 min) series, plus 15 movies and 14 ova/oad/ona. Most of this content will be streamed (except for the movies/ova/oad). But if with this HUGE repertoire of streaming shows one cannot find something to like, either one has stopped liking anime or can now join the Miyazaki club and start ranting about how good anime was several decades ago and how bad (and getting worse) it is nowadays.
louis6578

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:46 pm Reply with quote
^

Honestly, now that you explain it that way, I don't mind the relationship they have together. It's endearing, and when I look at it from a certain angle, it has potential. I still wish that the negative effects of their relationship was played straighter and consider the comedy to be a great handicap for the show itself, but I can see this being a saving grace depending on how it's handled.

To answer your question as to why I'd watch this show if I find it repulsive, it's partially because of reasons you've mentioned. It's not beyond redemption. Plus, the way I see it, this'll probably only be a 13 episode run.

That's 13 short episodes to leave a positive impression on the viewer. Slaves to the source material or not, it will need to do something to make this a show people want to visit again and again. If I end up changing my mind about it by the end of that final episode, I'll consider it worth it. If not, well, it's just 13 episodes. It's not like I'll be watching 50 or anything.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:43 pm Reply with quote
BTW, ATM there are four shorts titled Monster Musume no Iru Nichijou Hobo Mainichi OO! Namappoi Douga where we can see in each a scene in Miia's everyday life (well, in the last one you can only hear answering the phone and going gaga about Darling) and at the end we can hear Miia trying to make darling sleep by counting sheep.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10