• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Rokka: Braves of the Six Flowers (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Harleyquin wrote:
If the princess can hear it and react to it, why doesn't the same logic apply to Fremy?

Because she was nowhere near him when he used it.

We are not told how far the village was from the first ambush, so there is no way to tell how good Fremy's hearing is compared to normal humans. The flute Adlet used is similar to the high frequeny whistles used in real life which humans cannot hear but certain animals can; perhaps that was the inspiration for Adlet's little gadget to draw attention.

At any rate, a quick check of the Japanese wiki gives the answer to the earlier query on Fremy's little scene. Since it will be revealed in due course, I will not comment further. Whether viewers will still stick around to find out more about the series is a matter of personal preference.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:
If the princess can hear it and react to it, why doesn't the same logic apply to Fremy?

I didn't think the princess heard it, based on her comment (she would have been calling herself a fiend if she'd heard it). She just saw that he blew on something, the beasts reacted, and their reaction surprised her until she realized what he'd done. Then she was just surprised that he had something like that.

As for Fremy, ok I guess she did react to it. That whistle must have quite a range.
Galap

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Fremy's character design is really interesting. I like everything about her. I am fond of old-type guns too, so that's a plus. It's interesting to see a cartridge-based musket. I guess it shows how this world developed differently than ours. Interesting that she can conjure the cartridges and powder but doesn't seem to do so for the balls.

I hope her character ends up on the heroic team, since i think her design and fighting style is cool.

As for the rest of it,... eh, this was a bit of a low-content episode. the two main characters' interpersonal dynamic wasn't as interesting here as it was before.

And dear god do those CG fiends look awful. Yeesh. Rolling Eyes
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2

My thoughts from the episode. Fremy may be part fiend and that she has so far taken out Braves who tried to kill her for it and not realise she is not bad. She might have survived actually multiple assassination attacks from fake Braves, perhaps people who gave in to gain power to protect things they thought good. And if that is possible, I am thinking that Goldof may likely be a fake, his loyalty the royal family has had him give into temptation, especially since they were recently dishonoured.

Although since this is so early and we have not even seen the fake member problem yet, I doubt that I could guess it so early.
Plasmaeclipse

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:34 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Episode 2

My thoughts from the episode. Fremy may be part fiend and that she has so far taken out Braves who tried to kill her for it and not realise she is not bad. She might have survived actually multiple assassination attacks from fake Braves, perhaps people who gave in to gain power to protect things they thought good. And if that is possible, I am thinking that Goldof may likely be a fake, his loyalty the royal family has had him give into temptation, especially since they were recently dishonoured.

Although since this is so early and we have not even seen the fake member problem yet, I doubt that I could guess it so early.

I do agree Fremy likely has some demonic nature to her. However I think she was deliberately assassinating potential braves for reasons other than self-defense. She did claim to hate humans for whatever reason she had. Perhaps prejudice starting from people trying to kill her which led to her assassinating potential braves out of spite rather than any justified self defense.

I still think Goldof is the least suspicious after Adlet. There's nothing so far to suggest he has any connection to the demon king, the whole civil war affair really is a human problem unrelated to the fiends.

Oh well there's still 3 more braves to introduce. I am gonna rule out Rat Guy because he looks suspicious so that means he isn't. Blue Lady looks rather normal and subdued compared to the rest which means she is the most suspicious of the remaining unknowns.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:11 am Reply with quote
Plasmaeclipse wrote:
I still think Goldof is the least suspicious after Adlet. There's nothing so far to suggest he has any connection to the demon king, the whole civil war affair really is a human problem unrelated to the fiends.

He went missing for months without any messages without apparently coming up with any clues, and then apparently he has found a clue of a weapon type. You would think that if he was honestly following her kill them then he would have found the weapon out beforehand. Now that he has met the princess again he seems to weirdly place her above any other responsibilities.

Specifically because he so far seems to lack suspicion because he was put on a mission to find a killer, I think he is suspicious. That the red fog we saw in the dream was the demon king trying to infiltrate potential candidates before they became an official Brave, and the actual ones were probably too good and resisted it.

But yeah, just guessing. But I think that it is what I would have chosen to do.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:46 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
@ Tuor - why do you hate Goldof already? He's barely been heard from. Smile

For one thing, he refuses to treat the Princess as a person, despite her clearly wanting him to do so now that they're fellow Braves. He basically is telling her not to fight because he will do all the fighting, which is STUPID because there are only 6(+1?) braves, and it's not like they're chosen so to be kept from fighting. And then guys like him typically use the "You shouldn't be fighting, so you need to do what I say so that you won't get hurt" thing, which is just insulting. Watching him show up after seeing the relationship between Rabbit-sama and Adlet only made the whole thing that much more insufferable to me.

So, basically, I don't like guys like him. They annoy me, incessantly.
A Mystery

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:58 am Reply with quote
I think Tuor and Dusky are on the right track. It would surprise me if nothing was off about that guy's motivations.

It's funny to see that this simple mystery premise of 'who is the odd one out' already creates discussion. I too find such shows addictive.

A potential brave is too easy to distinguish from all the bland people though. Is it because they're strong that they acquire weird styles or is the flamboyant look really the cause of their strength Wink?
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:11 am Reply with quote
Piena princess sure is an unusual one.
She and Adlet make a nice duo.
The story was kinda slow.
Just riding around and talking.
Things got a bit more interesting towards episode end.
Still can't decide whether to drop it or keep watching it.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:41 am Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:

For one thing, he refuses to treat the Princess as a person, despite her clearly wanting him to do so now that they're fellow Braves. He basically is telling her not to fight because he will do all the fighting, which is STUPID because there are only 6(+1?) braves, and it's not like they're chosen so to be kept from fighting. And then guys like him typically use the "You shouldn't be fighting, so you need to do what I say so that you won't get hurt" thing, which is just insulting.

Not that what I say matters against a person's pet peeves, but the dialogue between the pair only saw the Knight swear to protect his former charge from harm, probably because if they do succeed and everyone goes home safely he goes back to his day job of protecting royalty.

I'm not sure where the "Princess don't fight, I will do all of the fighting for you" comes from since it wasn't explicitly mentioned, nor do I recall anything about the "do not get hurt" clause.

Odds on that the princess and her knight have known each other for quite a while, but the latter prefers to play the part of the loyal subordinate even if his master would prefer otherwise.
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:23 am Reply with quote
First episode was really promising and had good pacing, covering almost all of its basics and exposition. Second episode, not so much. I noticed the quality of animation dropped a little compared to Adlet's performance in episode 1, which I guess can be expected, not everyone has full pockets. Let's talk about a few things.
1: Pacing.
- Slow pacing isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it's such a contrast from the first episode it feels out of place.
2: CGI.
- Oh boy, here we go. Just gonna get it out, it's not good, but it's bearable.
3: Characters.
- I really like Adlet, a good main character drives the story (partly anyway). Strong and confident, but not rude or cocky.
- Nashetania is peculiar for sure, but she's likable. Question about her backstory. Her father (the king) was overthrown and is now a puppet under the prime minister, and almost all of the royal family has left except her. Why is she still in a position of power?
- Fremy. Character design is interesting, and you can never hate someone who likes cute animals.
- Goldof. Oh hoh, if my intuition is correct I'm seeing a love triangle here (or it could just be my shoujo side).
4: Last Thing
- When Nashetania sat down to talk with Goldof, convenient little bulge right smack in the middle of the road huh?

And sadly, because of some individuals who were not thoughtful about others on Youtube, I now know who the outsider is. Don't know if this will affect my viewing experience, but I will continue watching.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:27 am Reply with quote
_Cyphon_ wrote:
Question about her backstory. Her father (the king) was overthrown and is now a puppet under the prime minister, and almost all of the royal family has left except her. Why is she still in a position of power?

The same reason why emperors across Japanese history never lost their status as official rulers of the country despite the shogun calling the shots: some rulers prefer holding the reins of power but staying behind the scenes with a figurehead in the public view.
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:00 am Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:
The same reason why emperors across Japanese history never lost their status as official rulers of the country despite the shogun calling the shots: some rulers prefer holding the reins of power but staying behind the scenes with a figurehead in the public view.

Hm. I see. Thanks. Didn't she also mention that she ran away and had to sleep on the ground a lot? Did she return to her country or did she run to another country?
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:56 am Reply with quote
_Cyphon_ wrote:

Hm. I see. Thanks. Didn't she also mention that she ran away and had to sleep on the ground a lot? Did she return to her country or did she run to another country?

She was in hiding for some time but never left her homeland. At least that's the impression I got from the dialogue.

Guide to ruling a country inside an absolute monarchy:

1. Start a coup.
2. Frame the mess on the sitting monarch.
3. Gather all of the political levers of power onto one person, leaving the sitting monarch alive as a figurehead to ensure a minimum of disruption as well as reducing the possibility of counter-coups on behalf of the deposed monarch.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3:

Pretty interesting episode!

I think the most interesting parts is how Fremy adapts with Adelt and his personality. Their conflicting personalities is quite something to watch this week. And anyways, this was a nice buildup with 4 Braves revealed so far.

The ending was thrilling though as Fremy confronts what she expected to be. I'm excited for next week.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 21