• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Overlord (TV + movie).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Plus part of the reason they like him seems to be that he "stayed with them" while the other players dropped out.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
I personally don't have an issue with his subjects being loyal to him.

There's loyalty, and then there's fawning to an excessive degree.

But at any rate, I find it more amusing than obnoxious. Well, so far at least. It is my hope that in time the underlings will display more personality and agency than just idolising their master. I'm willing to give the series a chance to prove that it can be successful on this point.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:09 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Plus part of the reason they like him seems to be that he "stayed with them" while the other players dropped out.

That stood out to me. Does it mean they're actually aware that they were a part of a game that was going to be shut down?
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:25 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:

That stood out to me. Does it mean they're actually aware that they were a part of a game that was going to be shut down?

Do NPCs in a game know they are part of one if they aren't programmed to think that way?

41 members of a guild, the only one who stayed to the end was the guild master and even he didn't expect his NPCs to talk to him in the same manner as a human in a game would after the deadline passed.

Worth thinking about? Maybe, for those who aren't familiar with the books this series is based on and who are still interested in the premise.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:37 am Reply with quote
#3:

For the sake of information gathering and a simulation of prowess, the newly transplanted Overlord acts completely out of character and saves a village from marauding humans despite being utterly evil and in command of subordinates who see humans as no more than cattle.

Although Momonga's motives are a little complicated (paying back a favour to a former player in the online world plus the need to test out his strength), I don't think his approach is too unreasonable. The problem is he needs to take a stand sooner or later with relation to the new world which is also acceptable to his subordinates who were programmed to be evil back in the online universe, he can't fib off Albedo with the excuse of "acting" for too long whilst he gathers intel on the new world he and his crew occupy.

If Momonga's death knight summon was only average in power in the online world I'd shudder to imagine what would happen if he brought out the big guns. Plenty of blood and guts spilled from a monster twice as tall as the humans it was sent to butcher!

Next week should be interesting since Momonga has an army of his own which is on standby in the nearby forest. Depending on how next week unfolds, I'm looking forward to a 3-way battle royale in a completely ordinary village.
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3:

I find our skeletal friend to be an interesting character tbh. He mentions about his motivations and also metaphors with the undead. I hope we find out more about his character soon.

This week's episode also showed that the violence got quite rough. Madhouse did a fairly good job illustrating that thanks to the Death Knight. I expect the next few episodes to get even more intense. In fact, this felt more like a calm before the real storm hits.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:57 pm Reply with quote
This was a good, not great episode. It's good to see that they're not holding back or censoring the violence, so I can keep watching instead of having to wait.
I wonder why Momonga is telling everyone his name is his guild's name. If he wants the name of his guild to spread, he could have just introduced himself as Momonga of Ains Ooal Gown. Or is he presuming that the former NPCs know of Momonga, but not the guild?

dtm42 wrote:
Vaisaga wrote:
I personally don't have an issue with his subjects being loyal to him.

There's loyalty, and then there's fawning to an excessive degree.

I think their loyalty is understandable though. As far as the former NPCs are concerned, Momonga and the other guild members are their literal creators. From their point of views, the guild members may as well be gods.

Harleyquin wrote:
#3:

For the sake of information gathering and a simulation of prowess, the newly transplanted Overlord acts completely out of character and saves a village from marauding humans despite being utterly evil and in command of subordinates who see humans as no more than cattle.

Although Momonga's motives are a little complicated (paying back a favour to a former player in the online world plus the need to test out his strength), I don't think his approach is too unreasonable. The problem is he needs to take a stand sooner or later with relation to the new world which is also acceptable to his subordinates who were programmed to be evil back in the online universe, he can't fib off Albedo with the excuse of "acting" for too long whilst he gathers intel on the new world he and his crew occupy.

Were they programmed to be evil though? Just because they don't think much of humans doesn't make them out right evil. I would say the way Cocytus acts, for example, shows that they're no different than people, not necessarily good or evil and with the capacity to act either way.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:53 pm Reply with quote
I find it interesting the humans so readily accepted his masked face. One would almost think it was magicked to make him appear human to them but that seems like the sort of thing the series would explicitly mention if that were the case.

Covnam wrote:
Were they programmed to be evil though? Just because they don't think much of humans doesn't make them out right evil.

I'm not sure about how exactly they were originally programmed, but being willing to slaughter two children for showing Momonga a minor disrespect certainly falls in to the evil category by my humble standards. I'm interested to see how morally flexible they are, though.
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:38 pm Reply with quote
HelloBucket wrote:

Covnam wrote:
Were they programmed to be evil though? Just because they don't think much of humans doesn't make them out right evil.

I'm not sure about how exactly they were originally programmed, but being willing to slaughter two children for showing Momonga a minor disrespect certainly falls in to the evil category by my humble standards. I'm interested to see how morally flexible they are, though.

Well she's not human, so you could reason that just like human are okay killing animal for minor reason, she's okay killing human. Does that make her evil? I would guess when player made the NPC they took a basic race that would be pre set with preference toward certain race and just modified it.

Anyway, I enjoyed ep 3. 2 wasn't all that interesting could have been down in half an episode, but 3 did a lot to push the plot forward.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3

Oh, I enjoyed this. A terrifying dark undead knight protecting a village from some "evil" soldiers. What is evil anyway? Could you say that Momonga is evil because he was feeling nothing while killing humans? Personally what came to my mind was lacking "humanity", being an undead overlord seems to be taking away inherent traits of humanity from him, but I don't think necessarily is making him evil. He went in to save the villagers because he once remembered a friend who talked about protecting the weak, and in fact it looked like Sebas also might have that aspect.

I am actually guessing that him taking on the name of his guild will see him taking into consideration different parts of its members. He might be lacking certain feelings, but he still may be able to make "good" decisions.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:15 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Well she's not human, so you could reason that just like human are okay killing animal for minor reason, she's okay killing human. Does that make her evil?

Considering that sounds just like the classic villain speech about humans being cattle, I'm going to stick to my assessment.

Joking aside, evil is a matter of perspective - I'm just arguing from a typical fantasy world morality perspective since it seems to fit here, though the show is clearly playing around with this. In any case, I definitely get the sense that the characters were meant to be evil in Yggdrasil game terms based on their design, behavior and the idea that the guild was built to be against the mold.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:28 am Reply with quote

Part 2 of Momonga's (Now Overlord Einz) field test of his combat abilities. Only conclusion I could draw from this episode is that the only thing that could trouble Momonga would be unruly subordinates or beings equivalent in power to himself and his guild from the game he transferred from.

He hasn't given up hope of returning home has he? Conquering the world and spreading his name across the lands specifically to get into contact with other human players who stayed to the end and ended up in the new world just like he did.

Now that the world conquest is on the agenda, I wonder how Momonga's subordinates will go about getting some action in the new world outside of virtual rules and restrictions.
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:24 am Reply with quote
Episode 4:

Mm, so I guess our skeleton MC should be referred to as Ains now by the development of this week's episode. The action is nice imo with the angels although parts of it felt fast. I felt somewhat bad for Gazef though for almost getting destroyed by the angels. Too bad he wasn't lying about Ains when he mentioned that there's someone else stronger than him.

And lol, I spotted a yandere Albedo this episode...
Her faces were really priceless when her beloved Ains-sama gets hurt or threatened.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cyberd1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:44 pm Reply with quote
I am a little confused as to why he changed his name, if he was looking to connect with someone else that is in the same situation one would think he would use the same name as he used while it was just a game.
Saffire

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Cyberd1 wrote:
I am a little confused as to why he changed his name, if he was looking to connect with someone else that is in the same situation one would think he would use the same name as he used while it was just a game.
He switched to his guild's name because he thinks Yggdrasil players are more likely to recognize it. The guild is legendary but Momonga himself might not have been that well known.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 22