• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yo-kai Watch Anime to Premiere on Disney XD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:07 am Reply with quote
BTW, ya guys could pick up the Yokai Watch manga for free on Halloween ComicFest:

4th Annual Halloween ComicFest Returns Saturday, October 31st

• During Halloween ComicFest, adults and kids can go into a local participating comic shop and get free Halloween and horror-themed comics and mini-comics published specifically for Halloween ComicFest. This year, there are 21 titles— thirteen full-sized comics and eight mini-comics—available to choose from, including Marvel's Ultimate Spider-Man and Avengers #1, Doctor Strange: The Oath, Donald Duck's Halloween Scream! #1, Sabrina #1, Skylanders, Yo-Kai Watch and other frightening fun tales.

For the theme, they maybe could had just licensed the Ghostbusters theme OST. Laughing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odQnYIuMn-A

Mr. Oshawott wrote:

Oh and, yes, if the English version of Doraemon is anything to go by, expect the characters of Yōkai Watch to undergo some Americanization with their names and [possibly] their settings, particularly since the manga has undergone Americanization already.

Yeah, of course they're gonna match the TV series up with the domesticated manga that the kids could also buy. It's simple brand marketing synergy.

ParkerALx wrote:

though not all blame should go to Disney. the Japanese rights-holders had to sign off on these adaption choices at some point, and might have been the driving force behind many of them for all we know.

To Dentsu, the giant Japanese advertising agency, it's just about the money - they don't care to export their own culture, just import foreign dough. Dentsu is a giant - they go big phenomenon or go home; they don't go for small takings.

ParkerALx wrote:

Isn't there a point in the series where Keita travels to the United States? I wonder how'll they'll handle that little plot development. Laughing

He's going out of state? Laughing
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:13 am Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
Although, fact is, US kids' censors don't want the idea of "ghosts" in a kids' TV show. (Which is why the original Scooby-Doo kept having to pull masks off of fakes at the end.) Most US kids don't know the classic Yokai out of a GeGeGe no Kitaro episode, let alone the crazy ones from Watch, so the lyrics do a good silly job of explaining they "play tricks", which is as good an explanation as any to start with.

I suppose, but that makes little sense when stuff like Casper existed.

Quote:
Shizuka in the Japanese episode wanted to put her doll in the time capsule hoping it would be valuable in a hundred years--
The dub instead had her hoping her diary would become famous in a hundred years. Same ambition, but different.

Ah I see. Subtle, but sort of not.
manapear

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:32 am Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:

Yeah, these companies seem to think North American kids are too brainless or uninterested to know what Japan is. The irony is that learning about another culture at a young age is a good thing since they absorb information readily and can build up a good database as they get older. Not to mention, younger age groups are becoming regular anime fans these days. It's not a newly blooming phenomenon for anyone anymore.

The reason given for Doraemon's changes was to be accommodating of American culture, though it does seem overtly silly. For one thing, the changes have been an odd mix of things that clearly shows a lack of consistency. We know about the infamous cross band-aid to garlic pizza change (yes, Japan doesn't given a flip about Christianity, but they were simply going for the "crosses frighten Dracula" angle with that one) and the even more infamous case of Shizuka's doll becoming a notebook for the time capsule episode. (What was the reason for that change again? To avoid her being represented as too girly?)

But other cases such as Nobita's uncle giving him dollars instead of yen and changing the chopsticks to forks and knives is really unnecessary in addition to being somewhat insulting to viewers (I think by now even an eight year old would know what yen and chopsticks are). The simple word alteration of phantom thief becoming a magician was probably a "it's all about morals" concern, since Disney doesn't want to encourage little kids to steal from one another or whatever (though I think it has to do more with the term phantom thief not really being well known here as it is in Japan).

Of course, despite these changes, the English dub's one saving grace is the fantastic voice acting for literally everyone in the show, with Johnny Bosch and Mona Marshall really driving the energy into Nobita and Doraemon's lines respectively. I can tell they're having fun whenever their characters panic and run around screaming (which is all the time really). Brian Beacock, Kaiji Tang and Cassandra Morris are also great in their roles as Suneo, Gian and Shizuka too. And there are times the dub does add some amusing punch to the dialog. Anime hyper

That's a good point too!It's definitely best to introduce other cultures and languages to children, because they're so much more receptive and it's easier to take in. And yes, they are curious.

There's also the fact that childrens' television is evolving so wonderfully, especially this generation.Children are being exposed to a lot of different things, and it's just silly to me in general that we can expect them to easily digest wild fantasy stories but somehow it's too much when we have non-English names and viewpoints,
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:05 am Reply with quote
I don't have a problem with them Americanizing "Yo-kai Watch." For most kids,it goes right over their heads. To them,it's just another fun cartoon to watch. They did the same thing with "Doremon" when it brought here. But then,"Doremon" was edited to suit the particular culture that was there. Let the anger over this go and just watch the cartoon if you want. There's no harm in that.
Raneth

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:14 am Reply with quote
I'm very curious to see if this will take off here. Obviously its huge in Japan, but Japanese kids already have a lot of familiarity with the concept of Yo-kai. American kids don't. Sure, it has all the monster collecting of Pokemon, but the Yo-kai themselves aren't as appealing artistically as a lot of the Pokemon, which are much more animal-like. And since a lot of the knowledge about Yo-kai are kind of assumed already, since the show writers know Japanese kids know Yo-kai, the English dub writers are going to have a harder time preserving the intent of the show while also making sure kids understand what's happening.

I really hope it does take off. I want the next generation to have their new big thing. I'm just not sure I see it splashing here the way Pokemon did.
CheerSong

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:24 am Reply with quote
The song's catchy enough, I guess...

As for "childish" lyrics...have you seen this show? It's crazy childish and has no problem resorting to potty humor. They could have done a lot worse...

...that said, it's no Geragera-po.

I'm still falsely hopeful.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:06 pm Reply with quote
ETX wrote:

I wonder how bad the dub will get edited both content and audio wise. The japanese version of the Pokemon anime is far superior to the dub as it retains all the awesome OST's and music, wheras the dub company makes it's own crappy music for it.

It's easier to make your own music for an localized anime than to have to pay royalities for the music that may not get played on the TV airings anyway.
AtoMan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Pretty sure that's not how it works, otherwise replacing music would be much more common.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:28 pm Reply with quote
AtoMan wrote:
Pretty sure that's not how it works, otherwise replacing music would be much more common.

Most animes targeted towards kids are going to have their music changed. Though there is the occasional exception.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3