• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Has Convention Culture Affected The Anime Business?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Triltaison

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:58 pm Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
leafy sea dragon wrote:
There are also fan panels, which are the most interesting panels to me.

Decidedly this. While the question, and much of the discussion here, has revolved around industry panels and booths - there's so much more to cons and con culture than that.

Agreed. Other than digging through old boxes in the dealers' room for buried treasure, my favorite thing to do is to attend panels run by fans.

I tend to prefer panels that cover a particular theme or subject. One of my favorites of the last few years was Dave Merrill's panel about the confusing existence of Studio Knack, for example. I've also gone to some about animal-focused anime, anime that got its seemingly weird science correct (a NASA employee that is an anime fan helped run that one), English in anime, and dozens of others over the years. Panels like those are generally where I find new things to watch/read that I might not have ever heard of otherwise.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:54 am Reply with quote
The downside is that they can also be very boring. One of the most recent fan panels I went to was just one guy reading off of a paper for thirty minutes. Not every panel needs a PowerPoint presentation, but every fan panel needs two things: Context and delivery.

That is, it needs to assume the audience is not familiar with a series you're talking about, regardless of how popular it is, even if it's just a sentence (but also explain why this series is relevant to the topic, if needed); and it needs to be told in a way that's interesting, at least sounding like the panelist is interested in the topic.

More often than not though, fan panels DO fulfill both of the above.
GhostStalkerSA

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:14 am Reply with quote
My home con (New York Comic Con) has pretty much gone all corporate nowadays, there are little to no fan panels left with all the industry stuff being done nowadays. Probably doesn't help that most of the anime content at NYCC has been buried deeper and deeper ever since the former New York Anime Festival was subsumed by NYCC in 2010, and its branding disappeared entirely since 2012. Still, there's at least a couple of industry panels every year, and anime stuff within the cavernous dealers room and amongst the tables at Artist Alley (my usual assignment), enough so that I'm usually satisfied with it year after year. Vocaloids might count as well, since they apparently have had a panel with Hiroyuki Ito every year since like 2011 or so. Still, I've gotten used to it, even if the last major anime related thing at NYCC I went to was the Eva 3.0 screening back in 2014. I sorta miss anime guests, but then again, I guess that's what I go to Anime Boston and AnimeNext for instead.

Still, when I went to the latter this year pretty much exclusively for the FLOW concert there, I couldn't help but feel underwhelmed, since I'm used to the craziness of NYCC and Anime Boston to a lesser extent. It seems that AnimeNext had a lot less going on...

Maybe I'll check out Otakon one of these days...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3