• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Utawarerumono: The False Faces

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:42 pm Reply with quote
I just couldn't get into this episode for the life of me. Nekone was completely uninteresting and annoying, the sluggish pace and slice of life-ness of the episode made investment difficult and Haku's charisma, at this point, smacks of bad writing rather than any sort of self-aware plot element. In general, I'm somewhat disappointed with a lot of the elements of this show so far, and I can only hope it gets better.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:15 am Reply with quote
eh, I liker Hakuro better right now. Haku's lazy attitude is funny, but Hakuro actually did stuff in 4 episodes.

Now Ukon n the other hand, he's a pretty cool guy, and reminds me a lot for Tero. So I'm really worried he wont last the whole show
jroa

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:46 am Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
ep04 review, nice review.

teh bomb ast the end was nice, I hope things start to escalate now, that's what I enjoyed in the first underwaterrayromano, how I could not stop watching because things just kleep on scalating, it was a similar feeling to the train wreck ocode geass becomes, except that in this case it feels like a perfectly controlled demolition.

Well, I doubt things will move too quickly in whatever direction this story is going to take. We will just get there eventually. It probably won't be too much of a surprise though, whenever the revelations finally come up, considering how most people in the audience should already be expecting something along similar lines as what happened in the first series. Or, failing that, at least a major or minor variation on the same general theme.

Honestly, the original show wasn't that fast in terms of pacing until near the end. It did grow increasingly larger in scale as time went on, but for a long time nothing was really speeding up. That sensastion only came later.

As a side note, I would disagree with your particular description above. To make a long story short, I felt that in both cases things worked out quite well and there was more control than what it might seem on the surface. I was very satisfied at the end of both series, which is more important for me than picking a fight or getting too antsy somewhere along the way.

From that perspective, I'll be pretty disappointed if this production has a better build-up phase than various shows and yet somehow can't find a proper place to end the story. Whisperings about the game requiring an additional sequel make me feel uneasy about the future of the anime, unless it happens to sell particularly well. I do not know any of the specifics right now, thankfully.

getchman wrote:
eh, I liker Hakuro better right now. Haku's lazy attitude is funny, but Hakuro actually did stuff in 4 episodes.

Now Ukon n the other hand, he's a pretty cool guy, and reminds me a lot for Tero. So I'm really worried he wont last the whole show

Hakuoro was quite literally a blank slate in terms of basic personality, which made sense from a story perspective, but he did display the ability to both prove himself in a direct fight as well as actually lead others. So far, Haku doesn't really have much to show in terms of applying either skill, although his personality and character dynamics seem more interesting in comparison.

I do like Ukon myself. He's full of competence but also chill. It's definitely easy to predict that something will happen with him, one way or another, so that's another factor which might inevitably play a role in the medium/long term (or at least that is what some of us think).
bibotot

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:08 am Reply with quote
Am I the only one who notices that every episode in this anime has a bath scene in it? Does the writer have some sort of bath fetish or something?
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:57 am Reply with quote
bibotot wrote:
Does the writer have some sort of bath fetish or something?

Well if he doesn't I'll sign up for the job. Cute girls in the bath -- what's not to like?
Vanadise

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:49 am Reply with quote
I don't feel like there really even needs to be a supernatural explanation for Haku's "weird charisma." He is a pretty charismatic guy, really. He always starts off new relationships by thinking of everybody as a friend, and he's willing to indulge in weird requests (at least, they seem weird to him). He acts lazy and unmotivated, but when given a job, he works until it's done. When there's any kind of disagreement or conflict, he doesn't get angry or defensive; he stays calm and generally assumes the problem is due to his own lack of knowledge about the culture.

He really is the kind of guy who can get along with anybody and defuse arguments. Having a team of cute girls assemble around him is a bit of a contrivance, but I'm willing to just accept that as part of the genre.

On another note...
bibotot wrote:
Does the writer have some sort of bath fetish or something?

I don't know, but Kuon sure does, and that's good enough for me!
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:14 pm Reply with quote
bibotot wrote:
Am I the only one who notices that every episode in this anime has a bath scene in it? Does the writer have some sort of bath fetish or something?

true.. Confused

i was hyped about this series.. and still sticking to it because i saw Benawi and Kuro in the PV movie but my patience is wearing thin..

since so far it's boring as heck.

this series has more fan service than the 2006 series...

already on episode 5 and little action.... they wasted episodes just to introduce these characters and more bath scenes
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
As an unfortunate side effect, this all makes Haku look incredibly stupid and oblivious, which is the exact opposite of what we need to buy the role he's quickly adopting in this story.

What exactly made him look oblivious? His conversation with Ukon made it pretty clear he knew most of what was going on, and pieced together a bit more once the princess's identity was revealed.

When he's not whining about work, he strikes me as a man who just doesn't show all his cards. It can be advantageous to know something without letting everyone know right away you caught on, and it fits with his work-avoidance personality. If people know you've got skills, they'll call on those skills. He'd rather they didn't. So he just observes and goes with the flow, but even when he seems naive, that appearance is deceiving.

I'm still not quite sure why you're so convinced that Ukon is a bad guy, but if your instincts are correct, then I guess he's completely lulled me into a false sense of security. Smile He hasn't done anything that suggests to me that he's got anything nefarious in the works, even though there's no question he's got something going on. Maybe that's why he likes Haku - neither of them are people who wear their thoughts on their sleeves (except for Haku when it comes to work).

So...is Kiuru actually Ukon's little brother or was that just a formality? If it's a hierarchy/mentor thing, wouldn't aniki be more appropriate than nii-san? I really don't know.
anddo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Good episode.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:08 pm Reply with quote
This show sure is taking its time to start being about something.
lesterf1020
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Boy do I feel old!

When I first started watching anime it was quite normal for a show to have a first half with nothing but episodic adventures, character introductions and world building with the plot only starting in the second half. Nowadays if the show doesn't start with major plot developments by episode 3 everyone starts to complain that the writers don't know what they are doing.

To each their own but I for one would have no problem with several more episodes like these. I like the characters and I find the world charming and would very much like to spend more time with these characters just doing their thing. I am in no hurry to find out who the villains are and how they plan to mess things up. With the notable exception of Kuuya and Touka I found most of the antagonists of the original series to be dull evil stereotypes and the less screen time they got the better.
JC_Denton

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:06 pm Reply with quote
AnimeAddict2014 wrote:
bibotot wrote:

true.. Confused

i was hyped about this series.. and still sticking to it because i saw Benawi and Kuro in the PV movie but my patience is wearing thin..

since so far it's boring as heck.

this series has more fan service than the 2006 series...

already on episode 5 and little action.... they wasted episodes just to introduce these characters and more bath scenes

They didn't "wasted episodes", in fact they already rushing the plot, the problem is the game's SoL plot is super long and most of it is in first half of the game.
If they make a faithful adaption for first half, they will need 50 episodes lol.
Merida

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:09 am Reply with quote
That wasn't the most original episode ever and i rolled my eyes a bit when the Princess announced that she would move in at the end, but a C- seems to be a tad bit harsh...

As for Ukon, i'm really liking his character, even if he should turn out to be "evil" in the end. And i'm all in favour of more bath scenes as long as it's equal opportunity fanservice. Smile
roxybudgy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:11 am Reply with quote
I know something more significant is likely going to happen later, and some of the slice-of-life style episodes were nice, but this latest episode was kinda boring to me.

Just curious, early news about the series translate the subtitle as "The False Mask". But it's official English seems to be "The False Faces". I know "men" on its own can mean face or mask, but as far as I know, "kamen" specifically means "mask". Given the story, I think "mask" makes more sense than "faces".

仮面 【かめん】 (n) (1) mask; (2) disguise;

Is there any explanation for this? Did the original producers ask for that to be the official English title? It's not on the level of "Shadow Warrior Chronicles", but it still irks me a little.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
hurafloyd

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:24 am Reply with quote
This anime is failing so hard to deliver... or it is taking its friggin damn time.

I know it is bad to compare since (so far) there is no correlation except the theme, but after episode 3 I cant stop thinking about the first Utawarerumono and say "ok, how long is it going to take? Wait until half of the anime to give something and then start to rush it?"
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 16