• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Chivalry of a Failed Knight

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zztop

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Today's episode marks the end of Vol 1 of the source novel.
Next week, Vol 2!
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Maybe they'll mention it next episode, but Shizuku left Stella alone with Ikki because she was impressed by how much Stella actually cared for him. After seeing Ikki's terrible home life, Shizuku decided to give him all of the love that he never got from anyone else, but most of all she wants Ikki to be happy; and if it looks like he'll be happy with Stella, then she's willing to step back a bit - even if she'll vent her grumpiness at giving Ikki to someone else to Alice later.
RaylenCypher

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:00 pm Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
Maybe they'll mention it next episode, but Shizuku left Stella alone with Ikki because she was impressed by how much Stella actually cared for him. After seeing Ikki's terrible home life, Shizuku decided to give him all of the love that he never got from anyone else, but most of all she wants Ikki to be happy; and if it looks like he'll be happy with Stella, then she's willing to step back a bit - even if she'll vent her grumpiness at giving Ikki to someone else to Alice later.

They already did, the narrative started off with Shizuku's reasoning and tale in the second episode.

In respect to the review, I politely disagree. The romance is going at a fair pace in my opinion. The subtle signs of budding feelings between the two stemmed not only from physical attraction but respect to each other as well. Episode 1 showed Stella's attraction to Ikki and Ikki vice versa in the episode 2 at the end. A mutual respect and friendship was born of it's conclusion. In the second episode, Ikki was open with Stella about his past and the awful situation he was and most likely is going through with his family. The two shared a common understanding, Stella understands what kept Ikki striving towards a better future through his willpower and Ikki from using his Blade Steal technique understood that Stella is not just talented but she worked hard and put effort into her swordsmanship. In episode 3, Ikki and Stella's feelings for each other start to reveal themselves from glimpses of Stella's bashfulness and Ikki's angst and worry for her at Bisho's attempt to humiliate her. All this build-up resulted in the conclusion of episode 4. The two do live together so there is claim to the development not being shown on screen but the justifications from earlier episodes overshadow that same claim and deliver results from what was shown in the latest episode. Ikki is open about his uncertainty at how battles/duels unfold, he isn't sure he can win or lose as Stella picked up on his comment when Ikki started to unravel from the pressure.

To address your point about needing to read the source material, I actually recommend not doing so because IMHO, the anime succeeds the original source. As a reader of the LN, the source is very bare-boned so the anime delivered original content and rearranged events and fitted them into a fluid narrative of the very 1st Arc in these 4 episodes. The original source being a printed media is filled with exposition and you will definitely find answers to your questions. But as an adaption to visual media, the exposition would definitely be a flaw if replicated faithfully word for word. The anime DID remain faithful and filled in the gaps of the original narrative very well, so literary purists can't argue that it was going away from it. The exposition is downplayed but gives the core details of what's happening. Even when the exposition happens, it's always while the action is taking place on screen so the show is always in motion. Not a lot of still frames for that thankfully.

Finally, I'd go over the pacing issues and the supposed rushing but that would be spoiling. The relationship between the two main leads is the core narrative of the series so it makes sense that the two would hook up early and show the ups and downs of being in a romantic relationship is like.
KidOblivion

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:24 am Reply with quote
This show is too good for its own niche, honestly. This is the first school magic series I've really enjoyed since Trinity Seven.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:15 am Reply with quote
Episode #4:

Wow. That episode felt jam-packed all the way through, and that's after the OP was omitted to use those additional minutes and a half. While I agree that some elements felt rushed and were addressed a bit lightly, I still think that it was the best course of action, rather than trying to spread it over 2 episodes, which would've made it feel drawn-out and boring, IMO.

As for Arisuin Nagi, A.K.A. Alice, noticing that Kurogane Ikki might not be in his best (mental) form, while Stella Vermillion and Kurogane Shizuku being oblivious to that might come from a few factors, all of which I inferred based off the events shown in the show thus far.
  • There's always the possibility that Alice had experienced something similar in the past, or saw someone going through a similar thing, which made her more observant when signs (most likely of duress or anxiety) are manifested in someone ("you can't hear your own hurt screaming," "you are used to getting hurt").
  • Stella is an A-rank Blazer, and it was already established that she isn't a cookie-cutter "I'm genius and everything I do just worked perfectly," but someone who endured harsh training and gained combat experience (even if mock battle/training sessions). She was defeated by the school alleged F-rank Blazer, and she saw that he trains just as hard, if not more so. Then we have Shizuku, which due to their family's circumstances, decided to be the one to acknowledge, and believe in, Ikki. Alice, however, did not share neither Stella's admiration ("Ikki is dedicated to his training; he is strong"), nor Shizuku's ambition towards Ikki ("I want everyone to love Big Brother for what he is. And if they don't, I'll love him in their stead"), which made Alice to be "just far enough" to see that Ikki starts to freak out a bit (the untied shoelace before the match, for example). Also, she was the one who saw Ikki starting to lose his composure in episode #3 when Stella was forced to undress, and she was the one to calm him.

To put in another words, Stella and Shizuku were too close to the canvas, while Alice stood far enough to see the whole picture, as it were.

This episode's visuals weren't as high of a quality as those of last week's (#3), but it was still quite impressive and very fluid, IMO.

Last edited by Hameyadea on Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:56 am; edited 6 times in total
RaylenCypher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
To put in another words, Stella and Shizuku were too close to the canvas, while Alice stood far enough to see the whole picture, as it were.

This episode's visuals weren't as those of last week's (#3), but it was still quite impressive and very fluid, IMO.

After reading your post and going on a little info search, I realize why I love this personally, even more so than the original source. Rakudai has this, whether intentional or not by the author, theme of Existential Crisis of the first 3 volumes and what might be the end point of the anime. I guess I can chalk it down to relate-able writing and perhaps the creator unconsciously wrote the underlying meaning of his work. Ikki is forsaken by his family, bullied to the point of accumulating trauma, as well as oppressed from moving on with his life by his family.

To back this up, in order for Ikki to be able to keep walking forward he anchors himself with ideals/goals such as trying to be a Mage Knight and Graduating. Speaking from my own experience, graduation can be terrifying. You finally reach the point of passing into adulthood and learn to walk on your own. Ikki is already doing that due to his family circumstances.
He also isolates anything that would threaten his resolve/state of mind. Back in episode 1, the reviewer described Ikki as an "open book" which he is as shown by Stella, Shizuku, and Alice. Stella recognizes the aspiration and effort he has. Shizuku understands the good in her brother and the anguish he was put through by their family. As you brought up, Stella and Shizuku are close to him and see conscious actions of Ikki. Alice however, is far enough way to see the bigger picture, in other words, Ikki's unconscious actions. She is able to see Ikki is containing his misery and stress. Not to mention, the talk about Kirihara bullying Ikki last year, as she said Ikki has been tolerating it too much.

This is the tipping point because if Ikki fails this match, he won't get another chance and all his suffering and work will be for naught. He distracts himself from that by studying Kirihara's past footage to develop counter methods. But in just a brief roll of animation, he starts to unravel his stress and his mind puts him in the same position as the hopeless opponent was, on the other end of failure.

We get another moment of unfolding in the waiting room... The clock minute hand continues to tick away and Ikki is standing there contemplating all he's done up to this point. The sheer pressure weighs down on him and in a brief frame of mind, he has a relapse.

The subtle detail of the mirror serves as a way of presenting Ikki backed up against a wall/himself.

And finally, his mind can't take it anymore and screams a few times for help in a few glimpses before the match. e.g; Saying "I will win for sure." Ikki's never sure about the outcome as noticed by Stella. He forgot to tie his shoe laces as noticed by Shizuku. And lastly when the match started, he didn't take his best chance at defeating Kirihara before he used his Invisible Area ability from nervousness. But Ikki can't see it, he can't hear it, he doesn't even notice what's happened. Stella and co. see Ikki breaking down and don't understand why and Alice states the truth plain and simple. "It's not that he didn't do it. It's that he couldn't do it."

To rub salt in that gravely wound, Kirihara rallies the crowd into a bandwagon attempt to humiliate and shame Ikki for all to see. The chants and disapproval shave away his will to fight.

This is Ikki's look of despair. He knows he's been alone trying to make something of himself and try to overcome fate. All the points of family abandonment, trauma, and stress result in what you see here.

And to combat this world view of Ikki being worthless, Stella screams at the top of her lungs, shouting at Ikki not to give up.

With that and hearing her encouragement, Ikki gets back up and knocks sense into himself, literally.

This is JUST the 4th episode and not the end of the show so there is plenty of time for the relationship to develop. Compared to Ore Monogatari with the confession in the spoiler[2nd episode], Rakudai had more buildup to the start of their romantic relationship.
bibotot

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:02 am Reply with quote
I like the relationship development. It is definitely nice to see a harem where the MC actually ends up with a particular girl.

However, the villain is so over-the-top and annoying. What is shown in the recording feels too tamed to what happens in reality. The girl did not even bleed when the projectiles hit her. The recording shows nothing regarding the rival's sadism even though it is clear as crystal in reality. Why? Makes no sense. Not a single droplet of blood.

This anime is graphic, which is good in my book, but I would rather it were more consistent with it.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:23 am Reply with quote
bibotot wrote:
I like the relationship development. It is definitely nice to see a harem where the MC actually ends up with a particular girl.

However, the villain is so over-the-top and annoying. What is shown in the recording feels too tamed to what happens in reality. The girl did not even bleed when the projectiles hit her. The recording shows nothing regarding the rival's sadism even though it is clear as crystal in reality. Why? Makes no sense. Not a single droplet of blood.

This anime is graphic, which is good in my book, but I would rather it were more consistent with it.

I see where you coming from, but I interpreted it differently, due to several possible factors:

• Kirihara Shizuya seems to be a ladies-man, and not the "OMG, you, like, totally twisted that guy's arm and broke his fingers. LOL. You are, like, sooo cool" type of girls, so I'm assuming that he held back during the fight shown in the footage. Else his façade would've suffered.
  • I'm also assuming that the girl wasn't connected to Kirihara, nor drew his attention in any way, other than being his opponent. Also, it was explained that Kirihara doesn't engage in unfavorable fights, that is fights against someone higher-ranked, or that can counter & retaliate. The girl in the footage had a sword, so he just needed to use his ability for a bit to get an easy victory.
  • Ikki caught Kirihara's attention, and when he tried to provoke Ikki into retaliating and engaging in combat and it failed, Kirihara was frustrated. Additionally, Ikki's reputation in the school is practically non-existent, and the little that does is about how he is a loser and a repeater (Ikki did fail his school year and couldn't advance, which is quite stigmatic on its own). Kirihara basically could do whatever he please, and suffer no (social) repercussions as a result.
  • When the battle against Ikki had began, Kirihara used the lower-level version of his ability (the yellow-colored arrows). Later, after Kirihara had used his more-powerful version (the darker-colored ones), the arrows caused physical damage.

At least that's how I view it. The biggest chink in my theory, however, is that due to his lack of screen time, almost all of the information about Kirihara had to be inferred and conjectured based off directly-given explanations ("he won't engage in a battle unfavorable to him"), or off subtleties (Kirihara amusing a group of girls at the end of episode #3). But I still think that it gives a reasonable explanation to the discrepancy between the two battles.
RaylenCypher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:55 am Reply with quote
bibotot wrote:

You missed a vital point in the show it seems. In episode 1, they mentioned during Ikki and Stella's duel that it was a mock battle and they would use their devices in "Phantom" form, hence why Stella's clothes nor flesh were torn in two when he sliced her. Episode 3, during the hostage situation, the Chairwoman of their school granted them permission to use their devices outside of school grounds. Later, you see Ikki slice Bisho's arm off lightning fast, he even swung his sword to the side and painted a trail of semi-circle blood This indicates the devices they use are restricted to a degree to be nonlethal hence phantom attack unless otherwise. Episode 4, there is a form of consent area before you go into battle asking if you wish to participate despite the lethal risk of bodily harm since they weren't using phantom form combat. Even Nene comments "from junior-high to high school, they always use phantom form attacks in duel. A lot of kids hesitant at this point." but ikki didn't as presented.

The consistency is there, and has always been.
bibotot

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:57 pm Reply with quote
RaylenCypher wrote:
bibotot wrote:

You missed a vital point in the show it seems. In episode 1, they mentioned during Ikki and Stella's duel that it was a mock battle and they would use their devices in "Phantom" form, hence why Stella's clothes nor flesh were torn in two when he sliced her. Episode 3, during the hostage situation, the Chairwoman of their school granted them permission to use their devices outside of school grounds. Later, you see Ikki slice Bisho's arm off lightning fast, he even swung his sword to the side and painted a trail of semi-circle blood This indicates the devices they use are restricted to a degree to be nonlethal hence phantom attack unless otherwise. Episode 4, there is a form of consent area before you go into battle asking if you wish to participate despite the lethal risk of bodily harm since they weren't using phantom form combat. Even Nene comments "from junior-high to high school, they always use phantom form attacks in duel. A lot of kids hesitant at this point." but ikki didn't as presented.

The consistency is there, and has always been.

Just re-watched it. You are right. Thanks for reconciling.
RaylenCypher

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5

I have no complaints, I'm very happy and enjoy where the anime is going. The depiction of teenage romance was nicely executed from start to finish. Stella falls back on the tsundere tendencies when she fails or doesn't manage to be honest which ends up being really adorable, feels likes a breath of fresh air honestly. The even showed Ikki has fears about the relationship as well, I'm glad they're being fair because guys do also worry about romance in their love lives. All in all, this episode was just good then great towards the end.
Izanagi009

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Well, I've been lurking around this forum for a while and been watching the show up to this point because of complicated reasons so I will voice my opinion

Yeah, great, it's a teen romance. It's also annoying as hell. The whole misunderstanding thing is so overplayed in other media and in anime that I can't take this anymore. This isn't even that big of a deal, i've seen 15 year olds more mature than this and able to handle their emotions and conflicts better with conversation. This whole sort of "unable to open up" thing is annoying and it doesn't even have any basis like trauma or psychological issues that make opening up an issue. These seem like perfectly healthy people so I think opening up should be easy. Maybe I'm just old at 21 so my perspective is different but this just seems overly rote
BlackPoint.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Izanagi009 wrote:
Well, I've been lurking around this forum for a while and been watching the show up to this point because of complicated reasons so I will voice my opinion

Yeah, great, it's a teen romance. It's also annoying as hell. The whole misunderstanding thing is so overplayed in other media and in anime that I can't take this anymore. This isn't even that big of a deal, i've seen 15 year olds more mature than this and able to handle their emotions and conflicts better with conversation. This whole sort of "unable to open up" thing is annoying and it doesn't even have any basis like trauma or psychological issues that make opening up an issue. These seem like perfectly healthy people so I think opening up should be easy. Maybe I'm just old at 21 so my perspective is different but this just seems overly rote

Ye the misunderstandings are annoying but this anime is far better then other when it comes to romance because at others we would need to wait till last episodes so that the misunderstandings are resolved but here its all kinda done right away. I dont mind misunderstadings the annoying part is that they drag it till the end of the anime that sux...

Last edited by BlackPoint. on Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
sk1199

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Rebecca- I just wanted to point out that Alice is a guy. I'm not sure if you were aware of that or not since you keep referring to him as "she".
Your critique is valid but I just thought that you should be aware.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:33 pm Reply with quote
^ Alice is a trans and is treated by everyone as a girl
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8