• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kamisama Dolls (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:01 pm Reply with quote
I'm having a hard time with this series, not because of any particular flaw, but because the promo picture on Crunchyroll for episode 2 looked exactly like one of those fake rappers pointing downwards with a couple fingers. Also, I saw Kōshirō and could only perceive Masa from Seto no Hanayome

Otherwise, though, it's turning out to be a pretty enjoyable series. I'm definitely buying Aki more as a human being after episode 3. Utao still feels like she wandered off the set of a Key production, speech impediment and all.
SethMosrite

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:18 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:

This scene got an lol out of me.

Me too.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:30 pm Reply with quote
After seeing Ep 3, I'm getting the feeling that Kyohei and Aki weren't fighting one another when you see Aki standing there among all those corpses. I *think* that they did something together and caused Something Bad to happen as a result. I think Aki is mad at Kyohei because Kyohei is acting not just like it didn't happen, but not like the sort of person who would have caused it to happen. Aki is mad because he thinks Kyohei is being dishonest about the whole affair.

It seems pretty likely that our nice, friendly Kyohei is a mask Kyohei put on after what happened. But perhaps he's become the mask? That seems like what he's *trying* to accomplish, while Aki is trying to get him to revert to his old self.

So far, this is my favorite series of the current season (not that I've seen a whole bunch of them yet).
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
It seems pretty likely that our nice, friendly Kyohei is a mask Kyohei put on after what happened.

If this series is going to break out of the tracks it has laid down for itself, ultimately we will find Aki being exonerated in some way. Maybe not fully. At this point he is presented as some sort of insane rage machine, killing bystanders left and right just for the hell of it. If he stays that way all the way to the end the show might be ok but still ordinary or mediocre.

Aki definitely holds Kyohei responsible for something that we don't know about yet. Whether he is justified or not remains to be seen.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:09 am Reply with quote
I love Utao's expressions, all her over the top anime expressions make her a treat to watch, and yes the picture of the scene HaruhiToy posted was pure win. I guess double win as a they brought back the drunk chick, which is my other favourite character in the show.

I could talk about the plot, but the parts about were much more entertaining for me, I blame K-ON.

Also damn that "Why anime sucks" thread, I spent quite some time noticing the the lack of frames and such.
Ryvius213

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:03 am Reply with quote
Episode 4 was actually really, really good. A giant leap from the first three.

spoiler[DAMN Kuuko, you scary! Shocked I initially thought she was going to be useless and played strictly for comic relief, and the next thing I know I see her pulling guns and beating the crap out of Aki.]

I liked how much action was actually in this episode, and as many people guessed, they showed spoiler[the full fight between Koushiro and Aki this time.] I also liked the spoiler[lost child idea with Utao's twin, as well as the development about the true identity and nature of these "gods", and it seems like there might be a huge civil war or something between the two groups.]
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:54 am Reply with quote
Ryvius213 wrote:
DAMN Kuuko, you scary! Shocked spoiler[I initially thought she was going to be useless and played strictly for comic relief, and the next thing I know I see her pulling guns and beating the crap out of Aki.]

She does seem a lot edgier than is usual for that role. That girl has serious mental issues. I find it interesting that Aki just didn't just kill her, and am forced to wonder if they somehow end up bonding with each other. They would make the season's cutest anime couple.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:18 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy,

I have a feeling that having sex with her would be a... memorable experience, if you manage to survive it, that is. Razz

I wonder of Aki has figured that out yet...

Also, Kyouhei really lit Aki up. The moment Aki mentioned that Hibino looked like their sensei, I thought, "Stand by to receive a beat down." and sure enough, Kyouhei delivered.

The village is turning out to be more and more messed up now that there are "secret" siblings coming out of the woodwork, though I notice that Kyouhei *did* recognize the doll that his sister's twin was using, even if he didn't recognize the twin herself.

I'm waiting for the episode when Kyouhei starts using a doll again, because you know that's going to happen.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:47 am Reply with quote
I like her kind of crazy, guess it is just cool to see them kind of out crazy each other. I approve of this pairing. Oh the dreaded anime walk in scene, well at least it felt like he had more of a reason to go in as appose to other main leads.

Now about the spoiler[twin], have we had confirmation of gender, I was guessing male, but being suposedly identicle makes me think possibly female. I could theorise what is hapening, but I would be wrong.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5 seems develops a new villain in the form of Utao's brother. But is he really?

He is obviously a kid with an unhappy past, but it is easy to dislike him in how callous he can be to someone he thinks he has beat.

No Aki-and-the-crazy-chick.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:33 pm Reply with quote
I'm digging how Utao's personality doesn't have an "except when it matters" caveat. Most characters like her have these characteristics to establish character and do some pandering, but it's rare to see those characteristics actually translate into meaningful consequences for the plot.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:28 am Reply with quote
Still lovin' this show. I like that it doesn't really stand still. It seems like virtually every episode introduces a new important character and gives hints of a larger, more intricate plot. Oh and it was interesting to find out that the "gods" are made out of wood (or at least Kukuri is). I just assumed they were made from some kind of advanced alien alloy.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:11 am Reply with quote
Did you guys notice that when Utao's kukuri absorbed and then returned the blast from her twin's kukuri that it was singing a *different song* than the one it normally sings when Utao is using it?

I *think* big bro did a little something there. Utao was wondering if she did it, but considering it was singing a different song, I'd say no, and there were no other seki around at that moment.

Heh. Kyouhei is on a whole different level than Utao or her twin.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:40 am Reply with quote
@Tuor_of_Gondolin - interesting observation and you may very well be right. My only thought is that if Kyouhei was responsible for that, we would probably have seen some sort of more direct visual cue. My own impression was that "the gods" are more than just mere puppets and in certain instances are capable of actions that aren't directly caused by their Seki, but I am by no means certain that my assumption is correct.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Blood-,

It may have been a self-actuated action, but all I can base my comment on is what we've seen so far, and in every case a kuruki has acted under the control of a Seki and never on its own. And each kuruki has only emitted one song on every occasion it's been shown to do anything -- except the situation I just mentioned.

I'm not saying I'm necessarily right or anything, I'm just giving my reasoning for why I believe that Kyouhei was responsible, and I think he *wanted* it to be subtle so as not to undermine his sister, and also because I don't think he wants anyone to know that he can still control a kuruki.

Kyouhei is an interesting guy. The more I see of him, the more obvious that the "nice guy" bit is a mask that he's trying to make real, but where he keeps ending up in situations that cause him to have to shed that mask (notice his attitude when he was talking to the guys from the village on the phone, and also his expression when they ran into the guy driving the car in the opposite direction on the country road).

I llike this series, but it seems the episodes seem to go by so quickly. It would probably be a lot better to marathon it, but I lack the patience to wait beyond the next episode. Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8