• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Muv-Luv: Schwarzesmarken (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:12 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

So he got dragged into the attention of the Stasi because of his captain. I wonder how long it will take him to call her out on it.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:43 am Reply with quote
Well, the Stasi already have a file on him. Since he's the one who brought Katia in if she gets in trouble it'll be assumed he purposely helped another spy. That's why he keeps telling her to keep a low profile and why he looks relieved when they get sent out to fight. He probably wouldn't shed any tears if she got killed (though he still saved her regardless).

You could say it's Irisdina's fault for making him help Katia, but that's a bit round about.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:54 pm Reply with quote
I'm loving this more than Total Eclipse already. A lot of has it to do with the characters getting more depth in the first two episodes than I remember what Yuuya and Yui had. In addition, The political motives behind the Stasi raises the stakes and creates more issues for humanity to face.

Theodor struck me as very paranoid in this episode which fits given his location but his treatment of Katia -- the constant tongue clicking, directed anger, and distrust of her -- seems to fuel his paranoia more. Katia is very optimistic -- which usually annoys me but doesn't here-- she's the light contrasting the cynical darkness that Theodor (and the series's atmosphere) brings which works very well here for me. She works as a sign of hope in this depressing world which makes me really like her character. She's my current contender alongside Pham for best girl of the show.

But, dang, the Stasi are definitely cruel. They won't provide the backup required to defend which seemingly goes against their want to unify the country and protect it from enemies. Unless that's just propaganda to rally support but with no nation, they won't be controlling anything so I'm curious as to why they're acting the way they are. I already suspect it's to rid potential opponents of their ideals but doesn't this hurt them in the long run?

I think this is already my favorite show of the season. Can't really give reasons why but I just really love the Muv-Luv series.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:05 pm Reply with quote
We have a nice OP.

EmbraceMe wrote:
Katia is very optimistic -- which usually annoys me but doesn't here-- she's the light contrasting the cynical darkness that Theodor (and the series's atmosphere) brings which works very well here for me. She works as a sign of hope in this depressing world which makes me really like her character.

This is also why I like her....though I am guaranteed to like every character of this type. lol I can't think of any optimists I hate in anime.

Theo looked relieved when Katia was told to go, but when she said "See you later", he looked like he felt bad for a second and I was all 'HA, you care." Anime hyper

....given that they were holding hands in the OP twice, we can assume he's going to be caring a lot more from now.

Now, when it comes to the battlefield and all this hostilty between this group and that group, I'm incredibly lost. Can one of you who understands better explain why they're all "Lol teamwork is stupid, what's wrong with you"?
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:45 pm Reply with quote
West Germany is the enemy and the naive Katia goes spouting overly idealistic nonsense like "Germanies must unite and fight BETA together!" in front of Stasi officers. Stasi seems to think that western spies are as big of a threat as the BETA and no one on the team wants to be associated with someone like Katia who very much seems like a spy, at least as far as the Stasi is concerned. Stasi just used the battle as an opportunity to get rid of enemies of the state.

Well basically Katia has caught the attention of the Stasi and everyone else wants to avoid the Stasi. Something like that. Maybe. Hopefully.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Okay, that clears it up, a bit. Thanks Cam. :3
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Oh yeah, Theodor did say in the first episode that Stasi's informants are everywhere. So knowing that it's tough to build trust.

And actually it's Camo as in camouflage, but it's stylized as Cam0

Razz
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:

And actually it's Camo as in camouflage, but it's stylized as Cam0

Razz

And here I'd been calling you Cam-Zero this whole time...
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
And here I'd been calling you Cam-Zero this whole time...

No! That's wrong! You wouldn't call 0ppai as zero-ppai now would you. It's... almost the same thing. Laughing
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3:

Oh man, RIP Kurt. That was just...godly. I mean, the way he went out with a bang proudly without fear and lighting his last cigarette. Classic moment.

I kinda liked this episode.

The background storytelling is interesting about Statis as it further shows how cruel they can be. The action and violence was good too (BDs will probably be less censored). Now, I am not surprised by Lise's appearance this episode or at all. There has been hints throwing around that she is still alive (was taken anyways) so I'm curious to see her role for the rest of this season.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:33 pm Reply with quote
This is one of those episodes where so much happens that while watching it I was expecting each scene to lead into the credits. But at the same time it didn't feel rushed or anything. Things do seem to be moving along quite quickly in terms of character development but again I don't feel it's rushed like some other adaptions. In some ways it's nice it's happened so quickly. Now we don't need to sit through Theodor being grumpy for a season. Of course with Lise showing up he might not react too well.

So there's a pretty cute Katia figure I was debating over. The price isn't that terrible for a 1/7 scale, I have a thing for school swinsuits, and Carnelian's designs are great in general. If something was making me hesitate it's a question of love. In theory I should absolutely adore Katia but in practise I'm actually not that enamored with her. At least not yet. The price wouldn't daunt me if that love was there (I've paid more for smaller scales simply because I like a character so much) but since it isn't I was a bit more hesitant.

In the end I decided to get it and bet that I'll come to like her more as the show goes on. Don't let me down, Katia!
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Wallet and room space are screaming no to that Katia fig for me but my heart says yes. I'll beat around the bush and probably order it.

Also, you pretty much summed up my thoughts for the episode, Vaisaga. Great to see that Theodor has open himself up to not just Katia but also Irsidina (Muv Luv love triangle here?!).* I think I might miss his asshole-ish behavior but cheers to character development. I guess the thing I can add about this episode is how they handled the background (unimportant) characters -- I liked it here mainly cause I felt bad for them so it crushed my heart to see what happened to them. I knew them for so little time but sympathy is powerful.

*The Ending Song seems say a third party is involved but we don't know much about Theodor's feelings toward her.

Edit:

One thing I didn't mention is the computer with the dialogue between Katia and Pham. I love it when shows do this kind of storytelling instead of having characters repeat what they said. Though, the issue I have here is that it's in German and I can't understand it at all. Are there any German speaking/readers here that can accurately translate their conversation?
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
There has been hints throwing around that she is still alive (was taken anyways) so I'm curious to see her role for the rest of this season.

My bets it could be worst than she simply was "taken away" spoiler[The slasher smile she flashed for a second after hearing Katia innocently reveal her name makes me believe SHE is the one that sold out her own family and has for the missing amount of time been a Stasi collaborator.
]
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:32 pm Reply with quote
I think it's just as likely that after being captured the Stasi brainwashed her into being loyal to them. What I'm currently wondering is if she knows Theodor is her brother or if she'll have amnesia.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:18 am Reply with quote
This is Muv-Luv, his sister coming back from the dead and happening to join there team is not going to be sunshine and puppies. My guess is brainwashed.

And what a great episode of why I would hate to be in this universe. It actually gets close to what I can handle.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10